PDA

View Full Version : - Softimage | XSI 2.0 - Useful Tips & Transition Help -

wlau
03-20-2002, 07:36 AM
Hi,

Recently, it seems like everyday XSI is being used by more and more users who are making a transition to the program or are simply trying it out for the first time.

I thought it would be useful if we could make one large thread outlining any quick tips, hotkeys, and information to make this transition and experience both easier and more ejoyable.

+ ---------------------------------------- +

- Raycast select Polygons\Edges with 'U' and 'I' respectively.

- Select your model, hit '+' or '-' (numerical pad) to increase\decrease the geometry approximation display (smoothing process - i.e. meshsmooth).

- Quick method of welding points is to hit 'M' on the keyboard to access the 'Move Points' tool and then hold down alt. Notice that the point will now automatically snap to another to weld together.

- Proportional Modeling Tools - Select 'Prop' from main command panel or through modify>components>proportional, hit 'm' for move points, and hit 'R' to interactically adjust the size of effect by either using the up\down arrow keys or the left mouse button.

- Edgeloops - You can select edgeloops by downloading the edgeloop script from Net View or highend3d.com. You can create edgeloops by selecting an edge and hitting Split Edges (with split control) <MODEL > MODIFY > POLY MESH>

- All contextual tools can be accessed directly in the interface by selecting a component and hitting 'Alt-Right Click' to bring up the menu.

- Define Edge hardness \ crease values with the tools found in model > modify > components.

- Extrusion can be done by selecting a component and hitting CTRL D and from there you can move\scale\rotate to your pleasure.

- Good sites for XSI resources: www.edharriss.com - www.highend3d.com - and of course here!

+ ------------------------------ +

Please add to the list with whatever you feel is valuable for other users to know, or any hints that you'd just like to share with people!

wlau

Julez4001
03-21-2002, 09:52 AM
Any help is always useful, thanks.

Tsijoe
03-21-2002, 07:34 PM
Great!thx:)

hellblade
07-24-2002, 06:58 PM
Press \ to use something similar to the "Cut" tool in Max. It's much better than max's, it snapes to points and edges.
Another tip is to always look at the bottom of the window to where the right, left, and middle mouse button functions show up. This is one great thing about XSI, different mouse clicks do different things in different contexts, and the little bar at the bottom will tell you exactly what.

visionmaster
07-25-2002, 12:46 PM
yep,yep, thank's a lot !
very usefull;
who know a french or english good book about xsi ?

wmendez
07-26-2002, 06:55 AM
Hehe, the rebellion is growing as you see from my avatar. Thanks for the tips!

Oldman
08-06-2002, 11:54 AM
thank you for sharing
*push*

malcolm
08-12-2002, 07:55 PM
The best tip i can give a new user to XSI is stick with it !

In my professional career i have used max, maya, softimage 3d, and XSI all up to their current versions.

Yes some may have features others do not, but in my mind one stands head and shoulders above the rest.... Max, Just kidding ! XSI is a joy to work with and i'm constantly amazed by the leaps forward it is making.

Stick with it my friends and we all reap the rewards :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.