PDA

View Full Version : Apple acquires Silicon Color

beaker
10-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Apple Computer has acquired Silicon Color, a San Diego, Calif.-based company responsible for developing FinalTouch color correction software.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/10/16/apple.buys.silicon.color/

Following the sale, which was first reported by MacNN, Apple will be responsible for honoring all maintenance agreements held by current Silicon Color customers until they expire.

Under the terms of the deal, the Mac maker also acquired the rights to all Silicon Color technology as well as its intellectual property.

"We are pleased to announce that all Silicon Color technology and intellectual property, including FinalTouch color correction software, was recently sold to Apple," reads a message on the Silicon Color website. "Maintenance agreements held by current Silicon Color customers will be honored by Apple until they expire."

Financial details about the acquisition were not made public.

Silicon Color had a strong reputation for catering to video professionals through its FinalTouch 2K, FinalTouch HD, and FinalTouch SD packages.

The FinalTouch 2K package, priced at $25,000, was designed for the demanding needs of professional film colorists, offering direct support for 10-bit, log-encoded Cineon and DPX files without requiring time consuming conversion or proxy-generation steps.

A scaled down version of the software, called FinalTouch HD, retailed for $5000 and interfaced with Apple's Final Cut Pro video editing software via XML. The package included direct support for QuickTime media while offering many of the same features as its larger sibling.

The most recent product to come out of Silicon Color was a $1000 software package called FinalTouch SD. Designed for production facilities that have yet moved to high-definition, it offered color correction for users working with DV-CAM, Digi-Beta, or any other SD format.

Apple next year is expected to roll the assets it acquired from Silicon Color into the next-generation of its Final Cut Studio digital video editing suite

motoxpress
10-17-2006, 12:47 AM
This is a big deal. Another notch for Apple in becoming a very significant force in the
post production world.

-gl

Andy1010
10-17-2006, 03:08 AM
Now if they could just aquire Maxon, and finally add 3D to their line up.

Dillon
10-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Whoa!

That IS big.

almux
10-17-2006, 07:46 AM
This would be another sweet new! ;) Still no UB Maya as far as one can see! Apple could also buy Pixels3d. It would be much cheaper and few added (well paid) developpers could make wonders out of it too!
A real Apple tasted pro 3d app is the main if not the realy only missing app within Apple's offer (if one consider Adobe's as traditionally - at least originally - Apple "integrated").

holosynthetic
10-17-2006, 08:36 AM
I think if Apple were to consider purchasing a company for a 3d App it would be Luxology. When Apple updated to Intel they were showing speed increases, and one of the top Apps they used to advertise this was Modo.

maX_Andrews
10-17-2006, 08:58 AM
yes, modo and apple have been very very close. Brad peebler even gave a modo demo during an apple keynote presentation to show off the quad core G5 right after modo was being released, and brad made a big deal about how modo was engineered with the G5 in mind and it ran blazingly fast etc. etc. I just don't know what apple would do with it...I mean, video editing and photos are a huge huge market, and apple already has pixar, so is it worth it for them to perfect a mainstream 3D app if CG is only 5% of their customer base? We'll see I suppose, and I do agree it would be cool.

almux
10-17-2006, 11:09 AM
yes, modo and apple have been very very close. ... ...
...I mean, video editing and photos are a huge huge market, and apple already has pixar, so is it worth it for them to perfect a mainstream 3D app if CG is only 5% of their customer base? We'll see I suppose, and I do agree it would be cool.
Well, only 5% yet because still some 3d teachers are completely ignorant about Macs. Many still believe NO 3d can be done on a Mac... But this is about changing, and will even faster if Apple pulls out another cool "i3d" app (with "Express" and "Pro" declension)... ;)

EnlightenedPixel
10-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Apple buying up multi-os software is a bad thing.

pixelmonk
10-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Well, only 5% yet because still some 3d teachers are completely ignorant about Macs. Many still believe NO 3d can be done on a Mac... But this is about changing, and will even faster if Apple pulls out another cool "i3d" app (with "Express" and "Pro" declension)... ;)

How can you blame teachers for this so-called 5%? It's the industry and it'll take some time. At one time, looooong ago, people only thought Macs could do graphics, and to this day, many people still believe that, which is dead wrong. People were ignorant about PCs.. and still are (regardless if it's XP or linux). The same goes today for Macs and 3D. With newer video cards and faster processors, the Mac can finally keep up with the PC (running XP or Linux) for 3D. Again.. it's the industry and it takes time for the industry to change, if in fact they ever will. People just didn't switch over from Irix to Windows in one night... nor did they switch from Windows to Linux in a couple days. I doubt this will change as fast as you'd like it too. It'll be years... and it probably won't be an Apple i3D app. It'll be current 3D applications running fully in UB and taking advantage of the cannibalized FreeBSD operating system.

ThirdEye
10-17-2006, 03:40 PM

No thanks, i like using C4D on my pc, i don't want anybody forcing me to use a Mac like they did with Shake. Again no, thanks.

bls
10-17-2006, 04:22 PM
..and kill it like shake eh?

staigerman
10-17-2006, 06:01 PM
That's really good stuff, I know some of the people there, very glad to hear this, and smart move by Apple imho

now if I only could convince them to port Project Dogwaffle or at least PD Particles to the Mac :-)

-Philip

staigerman
10-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Apple buying up multi-os software is a bad thing.

multi-os? they were only on MacOS back when I knew what was happening. Did they make aq Windows version recently, or Linux? The core has always and primarily been MacOS based. For reasons of bus bandwidth I suspect, but with newer systems, MacIntels and PCIexpress it might be a wash. Much of it is not an issue of Mac vs. PC, it's more like ATI vs. Nvidia, if even that.

almux
10-17-2006, 07:55 PM
No thanks, i like using C4D on my pc, i don't want anybody forcing me to use a Mac like they did with Shake. Again no, thanks.
Don't worry, C4D is (at least about) running UB on Macs...

Tan
10-18-2006, 12:02 AM
and apple already has pixar

No they don't, they never did.

And Pixar belongs to Disney now.

beaker
10-18-2006, 01:09 AM
..and kill it like shake eh?
They didn't kill it, they just stopped developing the current incarnation while they work on the next gen version. No different then when Softimage stopped working on Soft 3d and put everyone on XSI.

Aneks
10-18-2006, 01:20 AM
waddaya reckon Deke,

turnkey DI / compositing / GPU based package coming soon ??

Phenomena = the bastard son of Final Touch, Motion and Shake !

beaker
10-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Nope, none of the above from the rumblings I've heard.

My guess, just another app to add to the Final Cut Studio Suite. Comp in Shake, motion graphics in Motion, Edit in FCP, Final Touch becomes the end of the pipeline where you grade the entire FCP project. Grading an entire movie/tv show is not fun in either Shake or FCP.

Aneks
10-18-2006, 01:28 AM
i guess you're right. but a guy can hope !

Amyd
10-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Grading an entire movie/tv show is not fun in either Shake or FCP.

Grading in Shake, of course not, but grading in your NLE is pretty much the best possible place for that, because the NLE is the place where you assemble both your edit and your final comps into the final movie, while at the same time still having access to the A/B tracks with transitions, to individual clips & so on. It's a breeze to define grading presets for different scenes, use your already created library metadata to apply it across applicable clips, view everything in context and so on.

In a DI program like Final Touch, you get the advantage of a dedicated UI, but you have to deal with exporting/importing/converting all that metadata and clip information that is by default contained in your NLE project.

I think it makes much more sense for Apple to integrate Final Touch inside FCP, a la Symphony. However, I fear that at least for the next couple of years, FT will remain a bundled separated app, with a slightly improved integration with FCP, probably along the lines of Soundtrack Pro (c'mon, Apple, is it really so hard to just give us 5.1 mixing straight from the NLE?!?).

almux
10-18-2006, 10:31 AM
i guess you're right. but a guy can hope !
Well i don't really worry about the way Apple could make an integrated and fully handy application out of Shake and Motion.
It is planed (and under construction) since over 2 years... Apple is smart enough not to make any "bastard" app... too smart for it! ;)
FinalTouch is absolutely unknown, to me, but reading the specs and comments on their site, it deffinitelly looks like source of a very powerfull bunch of features to add to FC Suite.
Now, if I would be a customer who just bought a 25'000$ soft to see the firm be sold to another, I certainly would be quite shattered and scared... this would be my natural reaction...

(I was also about buying Maya and suspended my enthousiasm with Autodesk acquisiting Alias)

BTW, Amyd, what is "LNE" the shortcut of?

motoxpress
10-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Now, if I would be a customer who just bought a 25'000$ soft to see the firm be sold to another, I certainly would be quite shattered and scared... this would be my natural reaction...

But if you had purchased that software, you would be using FCP anyway as FT has been designed for FCP from the start. I think everyone sees this as a win win.

-gl

motoxpress
10-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Grading an entire movie/tv show is not fun in either Shake or FCP.

It's not fun because the right tools have not been in place. If you look at Avid's Symphony, it's a good example of what is possible when you integrate the DI with the editor. Avid (and Discreete) should be very concerned about this. Whether or not it's better, whatever Apple does do with it will further chip away at what they thought was an impenetrable fortress. Avid is already moving into the last stand position with finishing.

-gl

holosynthetic
10-18-2006, 06:29 PM
what is "LNE" the shortcut of?

The Abbreviation of? Non-Linear Editing. I hope thats what your looking for.

almux
10-18-2006, 09:04 PM
But if you had purchased that software, you would be using FCP anyway as FT has been designed for FCP from the start. I think everyone sees this as a win win.

-gl
;) ...I had the means to buy FCP suite... and the absolute conviction that Apple wouldn't sell it to Microsoft... but when it comes to spend more than 2k $ stuff... gee, it's quite another story... ://
I know guys who bought Shake at the times of high pricing... they're still glad to have it (and to lend few ours to use it, here and there)... yet they have to make an effort to stay zen when it comes to talk about it's actual price... ;)
But of course, many actual (almost) popular apps where 100k and more 10 or 15 years ago... Programmers where just a few around, in these past days...

PS thank You holosynthetic

beaker
10-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Yup, I remember the company I worked for payed around 35k for Maya 1.0, now it's 2k/7k.

Thats just a fact of life you have to live with in this sector. I also remember when Soft3d was 60k and AutoStudio was 70k. The cheapest machine you could buy that would run it was an Indy which was 15k and even that was a pretty slow machine compared to the 25-50k Indigo.

almux
10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Yup, I remember the company I worked for payed around 35k for Maya 1.0, now it's 2k/7k.

Thats just a fact of life you have to live with in this sector. I also remember when Soft3d was 60k and AutoStudio was 70k. The cheapest machine you could buy that would run it was an Indy which was 15k and even that was a pretty slow machine compared to the 25-50k Indigo.
Yes... and in these days, I would have never believed if someone would have told me that I once would have few computers with tens of softwares in it!! ;) ;)

maX_Andrews
10-19-2006, 04:27 AM
No they don't, they never did.

And Pixar belongs to Disney now.

Well, Steve Jobs, CEO of apple, created and ownd pixar until it was sold to disney. Now, Steve jobs is in control of disney because he owns the largest amount of stock, due to the aquisition. So if apple wanted 3D tools they could have easily released a simple modeling tool coupled with a scaled back version of renderman.

But they won't because apple does not include any sort of content creation software in it's available suites. All the apple software, from itunes to garageband to aperture to final cut, require you to supply the intitial media. In garageband, you use samples or play your own instruments. In final cut, you shoot your film and import it. In aperture, you supply the raw images from your camera. 3D is entirely different in that you start with nothing. There are no truly "blank canvas" products in apple's offerings, and as such 3D just wouldn't fit.

beaker
10-19-2006, 05:34 AM
Now, Steve jobs is in control of disney because he owns the largest amount of stock, due to the aquisition.That is quite incorrect. Jobs became the single largest stockholder of Disney Stock (7% according to the articles) when he sold Pixar to Disney. You need to hold 51% of a companies stock in order to be in control of a company, which he is not (he owned 51% of Pixar's stock).

The company is still controlled by the stock holders.

almux
10-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Well, Steve Jobs, CEO of apple, created and ownd pixar until it was sold to disney. Now, Steve jobs is in control of disney because he owns the largest amount of stock, due to the aquisition. So if apple wanted 3D tools they could have easily released a simple modeling tool coupled with a scaled back version of renderman.

But they won't because apple does not include any sort of content creation software in it's available suites. All the apple software, from itunes to garageband to aperture to final cut, require you to supply the intitial media. In garageband, you use samples or play your own instruments. In final cut, you shoot your film and import it. In aperture, you supply the raw images from your camera. 3D is entirely different in that you start with nothing. There are no truly "blank canvas" products in apple's offerings, and as such 3D just wouldn't fit.
Yes true. But you plug a mike, a camera, or some physical "media"... 3d can't really be considered as a "virtual media" because the images and sounds are not generated outside of the box and than loaded; it's all done inside of it... So to a certain extend, a 3d app could be considered as "missing" as a native member of Apple's Production Suite. (Ok... I know... it's a little pulled out of the hat...) ;)

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2006, 08:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.