PDA

View Full Version : v10 First impressions.

PJC
02-04-2003, 06:21 PM
Just got my v10.

Downloaded v10d on my W2K PC and went wild!

I acted like I wasn't in v9 and didn't save, hit undo a lot, moved bones in different editors, changed lights (there's some issues with lights tho) went from Shaded, wire, added props, multiple selection deletes, rendered, etc. and

IT DID NOT CRASH!

This is perhaps the most stable I've seen AM.

Will update you guys with more later when I get more of a chance to whack this thing around.

So far, so good.

If you've worried about crashing then this is definately the version to get.

More in depth about lights, and reflections later.

- pjc

hoochoochoochoo
02-04-2003, 06:31 PM
what's the new manual like?:p

amsmf
02-04-2003, 06:39 PM
It's a lot like a unicorn in that it doesn't exist.

hoochoochoochoo
02-04-2003, 06:45 PM
sorry, but all the unicorns I ever met:p had perfect horns on their heads...
couldn't resist that one!

PJC
02-04-2003, 06:47 PM
mine has the Reference book on the CD as a help file, but no manual, but it since it was an upgrade, I would still think the 9.0 "manual" would still work.

- pjc

onikaze
02-04-2003, 09:46 PM
really?

I Got a second copy of the V9 'manual'

PJC
02-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Yeah, they asked me if I wanted another one, and I said "pass".

- pjc

Wegg
02-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Well thats very exciting news. I hope they have gotten the stability issue out of the way like you say. I'm very interested in seeing what you and JoeW come up with in your render tests. Maybe AM will once again be the fantastical in-expensive alternative that hobby users can enjoy using. I know they won't ever woo any pro studios back. . . but you never know.

Kentaurus
02-04-2003, 11:21 PM
They didn't ask me and I didn't get one (a manual, that is). In fact, I don't have one since I haven't upgraded since 8.5p++:thumbsdow
On the other hand, I don't feel like needing one :cool::thumbsup:

K.T.

Natess44
02-05-2003, 01:23 AM
Hash seems to think A:M is running pritty good. (from the list)

"This is simply astounding! We are aware of NO aa(antialising) problems in v10! if you'd care to provide us with very exact examples and data, we'd be happy to look at it!..
Steve Sappington"

Nonproductive
02-05-2003, 01:39 AM
very exact
is part of the problem with Hash. I know bugs are tough to track down - but in their mind if it's not easily repeatable...it's not a bug.
*sigh*
Looks like nothing has changed since the fallout :(

Wegg
02-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Oh please. . . . someone with the latest AM make a ground plain with a checkerboard texture on it. Then put a camera just off the ground looking out over the checkerboard and slowly turn the camera.

You will see shimmers and shivvers and wiggles and pops like you have never seen it before.

I'll quickly throw one together in LW and we will compare the two.

Anyone up for it?

pdaley
02-05-2003, 05:19 PM
I'm only on 9.51e.

onikaze
02-05-2003, 05:33 PM
OK wegg
I'm rendering it out now

I'm making it an On2 .mov with the default compression settings at vga res.

the colours I chose are yellow and red and I left the default lighting in from a new chor and made the checkers 5 meters on a default ground plane.

the render settings are Final with AA, shadows, and reflections on, nothing else and for the mat I'm using the stock checker combiner with blur set to zero (it defaults to ten) and the camera is also the default height I just rotated with two keys.

Let me know if there is anything you would like me to do differently and I'll change it.

btw I was wondering where you egg guys went to. You probably don't remember me (I was/am a lurker on the AM list) But we had a couple of emails back and forth awhile ago when the gforce 2 cards came out and again when you had asked about freekance modelers. I was the guy who sent the picture of the jabberwocky.

anyhow I won't post it till you let me know if these are the settings you want to check out.

onikaze
02-05-2003, 06:02 PM
hmm just looked and the checkers are probably too big so I'm doing another with the camera at .5 meters high (default was 1.5) and the checker size at 1m down from 5m. once again let me know if these setting s are what you want to see (I won't post it until you do.

This is all in ver 10.0d btw

Wegg
02-05-2003, 06:24 PM
Make it plain old black and white.

I did another test on this other thread that started up. . .

We might want to stick to that one. . .

Other Thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41894)

onikaze
02-05-2003, 07:40 PM
hmm the other thread seemed to dissappear

well anyhow I can't attach a .mov to the msg and since when does {Photoshop Not open .tga ? (that would be 7) I dont' have time to route around and convert it to gif but if you want I can email the mov to you Wegg

it's 813K

lemme know

Wegg
02-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Yea sure.

billy@eggington.net

This is where the thread got moved too. . .

--->Here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42027)<---

onikaze
02-05-2003, 08:14 PM
hi I tried to send but got this

The following addresses had delivery problems:

<billy@eggington.net>
Permanent Failure: Bad destination system address
Delivery last attempted at Wed, 5 Feb 2003 19:54:24 -0000

let me know If you know of a way around that I'll be away fromm the comp till about 7:30 est for some harsh real life stuff but I'll check back tonight

Wegg
02-05-2003, 08:37 PM
Probably too big.

You can just hop on our KDX server.

Download the client here. . . haxial (http://www.haxial.com)

And join our server. www.3d-geeks.com

Sign in as "guest" "guest"

Then you can upload your own files and chat with other "X" AM users. ;-)

Anyone can join in btw.

jayrtfm
02-06-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by PJC
Just got my v10.

Downloaded v10d on my W2K PC and went wild!!.........

IT DID NOT CRASH!

This is perhaps the most stable I've seen AM..............

So far, so good.

If you've worried about crashing then this is definately the version to get.

- pjc

Does this mean that the crystal wand had been misplaced while version 9.x was being programmed, and now they've found it? see
MARTIN'S MINUTES - March 17, 2001 #329

.......Back at the office, Steve was unpacking the crates when he came across the crystal wand. "What's this?" he asked, perplexed. I told him the story.
"That's fascinating," he replied. "It keeps the computer from crashing you say?"
"Never crashed once while it was near."
Steve thought for a moment then he said, "Maybe we ought to bundle these with our software?"

Gazzamataz
02-10-2003, 10:52 AM
So here's the big question:

'AT THE END OF THE DAY IS IT WORTH UPGRADING TO 10' or is it gonna be the same old thing in brand new drag...

Just a straight answer would be nice!

I have been using 9.51e alot recently just to see how it under-performs and although I like the features it would be nice, as you all know, if they actually worked. I especially like the program when you click on save and the program dissapears...

Just like Magic!

PJC
02-12-2003, 04:53 PM
Some more on v10d:

I can crash it...but,

I can crash Lightwave.

I can crash Maya.

I can crash Cinema 4D even.

But I will say it again, this is very stable!

I think it's better than 8.5p++

This is version 10, and I do have some beefs (most of them are due to importing old PRJ.s and CHO.s, but everything new I've created has worked perfectly, and I believe a year from now we will be even better off. It seems that Hash has really taken their time on this version squashing most everything that causes it to go away.

It's faster, less likely to crash (It crashes more than C4D, but WAY less than MAX 5, and acts more like Maya most days) and most times when I have an issue (why the HELL is the environment glowing!!!) I find that I've clicked on something while "experimenting" with new features (Oh, so that's what GLOW under the camera tab does! Why did I leave that on?).

I'm getting ready to set up some character animation tests for an story idea I'm working on, so I'll have a better idea about any character issues when I get knee deep in it, and I'll let everyone know how it went!

Will be posting a WIP soon straight out of v10 with a character that I dug out of my v8 files...

...and to answer your question, yes, I believe it's worth $99 right now, and we still have most of the year left.

- pjc

Gazzamataz
02-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Cheers for that PJC!!!

Kinda makes me feel that I have done the RIOT FING? I just upgraded... Your post makes me feel more reassured although I am a bit worried when you say *.prj and *.cho can cause problems. I am hoping to convert my current project into v10 - well looks like I'll might be learning the hard way!

Thing is I just love the Hash tools and method, like you said it's like an addiction.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.