PDA

View Full Version : "Next Gen" Character - Akuma

GavinG
10-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted anything on CG Talk, or done any personal work for that matter. Been working on this guy, Akuma from the Street Fighter series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akuma_%28Street_Fighter%29), whenever I get some free time. The following image will just be the source for my normal map. I hope the final polycount will be somewhere around 8k.

More progress coming soon..

Gav

RuinedMessiah
10-16-2006, 01:27 PM
If it's Next Gen, you can afford at least 12K polygons, especially for a fighting game character. Having said that, I'd like to see Akuma's hair taken care of via alpha mapped planes instead of solid objects. You also seem to have too many folds in the outfit not to mention the cuts in the fabric are not well balanced which leads to "subdiv" glitches.

All in all, though, a good start. I love Akuma so I'll be watching this one.

TheArgylekid
10-16-2006, 03:33 PM
This guys looking cool. I think the limit for the comp is 10k ruinedmessiah. One issue I see is it looks like you mirrored the wrinkles in the clothing. It'd be nice to see them broken up and different on either side.

GavinG
10-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Cheers guys, thanks.

Sorry, I forgot to mention tha tit's for a comp over at Polycount which has a 10 k limit. I'd still like to do it in less though, we'll see. As for the hair, it's more of a style thing. I wanted to go with something like Huxley rather than alpha planes. I guess just something different than I would normally do.

TheArgylekid, thanks. Yeah, now that yu mention it I can really spot the symmetry. I did try to throw it off a bit, but I may need to do a bit more.

Thanks again!
Gav

Squirmy
10-16-2006, 04:12 PM
looks good. I really like the torn up cuffs on the pants. That bead necklace must be eating your poly limit. Maybe geo sphere instead?

Testament
10-16-2006, 06:21 PM
I'll have to STRONGLY disagree with ruinedmessiah about the alphamapped planes for the hair part. I think the poly hair looks great , the way it is. Alpha-mapped Gouki hair would look aweful. This is the way his hair looks lke and I think it will come out great.

This char is looking great man, I'm a big fan of SF characters. I'd love to see though, his upper body proportions exagerated a bit to get it looking similar to the style they use.

That's about it for me, looking great, keep it up.

GavinG
10-17-2006, 01:29 AM
Hey, thanks guys.

Squirmy, I'll probably be reducing the necklace. Depends how well the final count turns out, hehe.

Testament, thanks. I do like the clumps of hair. Besides style choice, I'm almost afraid that alpha planes would add a freakish amount of polys to look right. More so than what just solid clumps would. I do plan on making him have fairly big shoulders, might even go crazy and give him bigger hands than normal :)

Gav

SquirrelyJones
10-17-2006, 01:32 AM
looking great so far, Akuma is the only char I ever use in street fighter! Jumping fireball ftw!

bardur
10-17-2006, 08:18 AM
OH HOLY S**T! thats awsome!:eek:
as one hell of a SF fan... i must say.. it looks EXACTLY like him... its a perfect replica of Akuma :bounce:

I'll be watching this one for sure!

Regards

GavinG
10-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks man, glad you like him. Here's a very small update...Feeling pretty tired tonight for some reason. Not sure I'm going to add sandals or not. Some have em, some don't. Not sure if the more advanced version of Akuma is supposed to have them or something...I dunno. Still not really sold on the feet, I may update them as I'm doing the arms...which will "hopefully" be tomorrow.

Also messed a little more with the wrinkles...still may need to play with them some more.

Gav

Edit> Forgot the belt...bah. Updated image.

rasmusW
10-17-2006, 10:45 AM
hey gavin!

this is really getting along very well.
-don't have any crit thus far, so i'll be back for more later.

-r

georgebrayner
10-17-2006, 02:27 PM
FANTASTIC!!! Congratulation! No more words!

utchamp
10-17-2006, 07:19 PM
His right foot on the position where he is turned around looks really balloon-ish. Is that just the position or is that just the picture?? it needs to be reworked.

It is looking really good though, the only thing that has confused me is why does he always have a massive ball necklace on because you think that it would get in the way when he is fighting. you should animate some of him where his balls fight him!:)

GavinG
10-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys. From the concepts, his feet are kind of stubby...but I could rework the balloonishness of them :P

As for the balls, they're supposed to be prayer beads. It's weird though, some concepts have them freakishly large, some of them are tiny. I kind of like the massive ones more, seems more interesting...heh.

Gav

utchamp
10-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Prayer beads are usually tiny.... aren't they?

I think that it would be much cooler if they were small, and belivable, but having large ones gives him quite a bit of character.:shrug:

benclark
10-18-2006, 08:57 AM
I agree that the hair looks much better as a solid shape rather than using alphas

Stinkfoot
10-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Well Akuma has big Balls.. I mean.. Big beads.. so they are the correct size compared to artwork from him.

GavinG
10-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the comments guys! (and the spam...whatever is up with that...)

I think I'm going to keep his beads large, kind of adds a little more character to him. The usually are quite small, or at least that's what television has lead me to believe, not sure why they're oversized in the drawings. Maybe they would get lost on screen through the pixel art or something?

Anyways, I've gone ahead and modeled/sculpted some arms and hands. Not sure if they're final, I think they could probably use some work. They may almost seem "inflated" now that I look at them, he does have fairly trunk like arms in the concepts though...hmmm.

Anyways, stay tuned for more updates!

http://www.gavimage.com/akuma/akuma_3d_06.jpg

Gav

urgaffel
10-19-2006, 12:17 PM
This is coming along nicely! One thing that bugs me a bit is that the feet seem a bit bloated, puffed up. Especially in the rear view you posted they look strange. Maybe make it a bit more angular and not so rounded would be better?

bardur
10-19-2006, 04:14 PM
its coming along AMAZINGLY well... love the arms... nice details and alot of character

Regards :thumbsup:

JimmyMac
10-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Hey Gavin_G, this looks awesome! One thing is bugging me though and it could be just the angle, the pectoral muscle doesn't seem to match up where it goes underneath the fabric and becomes visible again. It seems much lower on the arm side. Love it, can't wait to see more updates!

Headless
10-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Agreed about the pecs but otherwise this is really impressive.

Big thumbs up. :thumbsup:

rasmusW
10-21-2006, 02:25 PM
hey gavin!

yeah! -really good update. arms and legs are really coming along.

-r

GavinG
10-23-2006, 07:20 AM
Howdy Fellas, Thank you very much for your comments. I tried to follow the suggestions while working on Akuma this weekend tweaked the pants, chest area, feet and a little more on the face. Below are a few images of the low rez model and also a link to rotation animation.

I'm nearing the end of the normal map phase and looking forward to texturing this guy.

His final polycount racks in at 9162 tris.

http://www.gavimage.com/Akuma/akuma_3d_07.jpg
http://www.gavimage.com/Akuma/akuma_3d_08.jpg

Animation (http://www.gavimage.com/Akuma/akuma_animation.gif)

Thanks for looking,
Gav

BakerCo
10-23-2006, 02:02 PM
freakin sweet very clean !! perfect great job

-Baker

JimmyMac
10-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Wow, just wow. Great job Gavin! :thumbsup:

euclidius
10-23-2006, 05:24 PM
maan... nice dude -- one of my fav. characters to you use in any game. can't wait for the final product. btw, for the detail modeling, are you using Mudbox or Zbrush?

mindrot
10-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Nice work Gavin.

One small crit: the hand area looks too small and the fingers too long, making them seem almost sausage like.

~M~

GavinG
10-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback.

I've been texturing the face and chest and also laying down basic colours. I've tweaked the ncklace and elbows, although the elbows aren't shown. I've changed the fingers to be a bit shorter just now and will have them posted in the next update.

For now though, here's this.

http://www.gavimage.com/akuma/akuma_3d_09.jpg

euclidius:Thanks dude, I'm using trusty ol' ZBrush for the detailing along with an assist from the nVidia Photoshop filter.

Cheers and thanks for lookin',

Gav

AnimZiggy
10-25-2006, 05:45 PM
gav long time no speak! u have improved loads. i really like this one.. not much to add as the guys have already commented.
thought i d just say hello!

GavinG
10-26-2006, 08:25 AM
Ziggy! Hey hey, long time indeed. Hopefully all is well with you, thanks for the kind words. :)

Been painting more of his clothes and arms,

http://www.gavimage.com/Akuma/akuma_3d_10.jpg

Also, a screen cap - Screenie! (http://www.gavimage.com/Akuma/akuma_3d_11.jpg)

Thanks for looking,
Gav

MDR
10-26-2006, 09:32 AM
That is starting to look pretty good, the textures seem to have hidden that slightly bloated look he had in previous shots. Are you planning on rigging him so you can put him in a taunt or winning pose? Keep it up coming together well.

daft-crut
10-26-2006, 10:28 AM
The model turning out superb! I really like the final model, have a question though, how is the normal map on the hair, in the final render looks roundish, but on the low poly its flat, do you achieve this by using normal map? because It doesn't retain sharp edges anymore on the final render.

GavinG
10-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Hey guys, thanks.

I do plan on rigging him up for posing and I believe most of the smoothing for the hair is done through smoothing groups rather than having a solid normal map. I still need to work a bit on the hair I think...Although it'll still be basic.

Thanks again.
Gav

-KDX-
10-26-2006, 07:16 PM
the model for this is superb, as is the normal mapping. I would say the texture needs quite a bit of work to do the piece justice though. Get in there and make some pixels happen. Right now the textures are too muddy and basic. Also, the spec is outta control, maybe tone it down some. Akuma is not that sweaty! =)

-KDX-

bardur
10-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Sweet!! I'm loving it more each day:thumbsup:

Ravis
10-31-2006, 05:46 AM
I really love the details in this. All of it.

My only critique would be the proportions. As much as how it's reminiscent of the original Capcom character art's stylized and bulky body segments, I think the head is a touch too big cause he seems to have lost that muscular bulk (as per Capcom art) and makes him look short with that kind of head to body ratio

GavinG
11-07-2006, 05:48 AM
Thanks guys,

Just a small update, been messing with the textures more. I also shrunk the head a little bit and did some general tweaking. Still got a bit more to go...wanting to call this one done soon :P

http://www.gavimage.com/akuma/akuma_3d_12.jpg

cheers and thanks for the replies,
Gav

bardur
11-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Looks great!... kinda "dirty" but still great!
and i think he looks more "massive"/powerfull when the head is smaller

Good work!

Regards

GavinG
11-08-2006, 12:53 AM
Thanks man, I find it hard to not make things dirty or noisy...Seems to be a curse or something. For practice, I think I may try something cleaner for my next character.

Gav

hanzo
11-08-2006, 09:58 PM
good shit Gavin definitely top notch, your version of Akuma rocks! mine only crits is ( or opinion ) is your Akuma face looses a bit of the SOLID feel that original street fighter character had, but hey difference is art right.

I'll keep an eye out for your next project

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2006, 09:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.