PDA

View Full Version : I can't paint weights - need help

RafiS
10-16-2006, 03:21 AM
I'm really confused cus I've been trying to paint weights on my model and it keeps saying that there's an error - it says value is out of range.

I've already set up my rig, with contraints and all the control curves and tested it with all the blend shapes and all but everytime I go to paint weights it keeps saying value is out of range and when I try to paint weights, nothing loads up in the window where all the joints should be showing so you can select which ones you wanna work with while your painting weights. Does anybody know why its doing this....any help would be great.

Also, another question about making blend shapes....I've already made the blend shapes and am going to be painting weights now.

Should I create the blend shape node FIRST (Before painting weights) or should I do it after I've painted the weights....its cus I've been told that there's a deformation order or something, I just don't know which one I should be doing first.

RafiS
10-16-2006, 03:23 AM
Sorry about posting this twice....please delete the other one.

hibigibees
10-16-2006, 06:26 AM
hi... soory dude.. i replied the other one, but i realised that u have requested cgt to delete the previous one, so i pasted the reply here just in case if that one is deleted ;)
----------
deformation order can be set at anystage and we should make sure that its set before we put the file for rendering... I mean its even better we set the order properly before even it goes into the animation pipeline..

usually i maintain this,
1. corrective blend shape fixes (furfixes, cloth fixes, main fixes, extra fixes- just in case)
2. corrective blend shapes(arm, wrist, knee, thigh, foot, head, neck, intersections, etc)
3. Blend shapes (Face) .. or other parts...
4. Skin Cluster
5. My Deformers like Lattice, Clusters, Wire, etc ( usually i try avoid this part as its heavy)
6. Mesh smooth node

1 goes at the bottom while the 6 is shown top... I hope u visualize what i m trying to say...

When u apply a deformer with the setting "front of chain" it automatically sets the deformation order to 1... i.e. for example if u create another blendshape node for a mesh named "xyz" with front of chain setting then ----> the xyz deformer takes the place of 1...

Comming to your skin weights issue, I remember facing the same issue, but I dont have a solution for it. I usually try the following stuff to check whether I can bring back the window with the influence list...

make a copy of ur file, open copy and try this....(half of it might not work, cause I just give tips without even testing it on my pc :| )
1. Try to detach skin 'delete history' and rebind it with the same influence list & with same max influence limit... Now open ur editor and check...
2. try painting weights for a sphere with 2 joints/transforms... if it works then its not the issue with the paint skin weights window!
3. try resetting the window either in that window or in settings -- preferences... restore all defaults... now try to paint skin weights
4. try to find out the preferences file from the scripts folder and cut paste that particular file to ur desktop .. now open maya and c whether a new file is created with default parameters... if it works then fine else u can put that file back to that same dir...
5. just for testing, if u have another login in that OS, pls login on anyother user and try to paint weights, if it works u can copy the setting from that user's script dir and paste it to urs...
6. last option -->download david waldens paint skin weights script which is damn good for painting skin weights...

pls reply if u solve that issue, i would like to learn how u solved that one...

sriram...
:)

----------

RafiS
10-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks for explaining that. I've found deformation order a bit confusing so its really good you explained that really well. About the weights....I'll try it out and see if it works....cus when I was testing it did work before but it wasn't working when I tried to do it and I didn't know what I was doing or how I could make it work. I'll let you know if this works cus I've to paint weights for my character and can't do anything until I can finish doing it.

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2006, 07:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.