PDA

View Full Version : Cyberface: New Technology That Captures the Soul

rblitz7
10-16-2006, 03:10 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/15/movies/15waxm.html
"The Image Metrics software lets a computer map an actor’s performance onto any character virtual or human, living or dead."

At first I thought they were talking about motion capture, but it seems they could do it just from video footage..pretty cool.:)

EDIT: wow just watched the video, it looks better then motion capture..but then again maby some of it was cleaned up by hand animation.

rblitz7
10-16-2006, 03:23 AM
Ah! this is not good for an aspiring animator like me.:sad:
“Now we don’t have to spend three years having people meticulously hand-animate Charlie Sheen’s lines,” he added. “He says, ‘Food fight!’ in real time, live action, and it’s applied, via Image Metrics technology, to the character.”

So whereas a film like “Cars” (http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=290414&inline=nyt_ttl) cost $120 million and took dozens of animators five years to make, Mr. Kasanoff says that “Foodfight!,” which has not yet begun production, will be finished by February.

PyRoT
10-16-2006, 04:54 AM
This is insane!!! It really loks like it could make facial animators almost obsolete.You could surely scale certain aspects of the motion to make exaggurated expressions and it just seems really nice. It looks like it needs to be calibrated for the individuals' faces as some of the examples looked a lot better than others.

I can also see this technology being very important for the AI and robotics sciences. With this, robots could accurately read faces and expressions. I also think that using this technology to figure out what someone is saying based on lip movements is not too farfetched.

It is really exciting! I guess I am not suprised by the technology itself but I am very suprised at the fact it has been created right now and not in 10 years or so.

Tomek

ha-dou-ken
10-16-2006, 04:57 AM
That's pretty incredible. I'm kind of glad I'm not an animator now.

PyRoT
10-16-2006, 04:59 AM
That's pretty incredible. I'm kind of glad I'm not an animator now.

It is a serious issue. I am sure that many people who are aspiring to become animators, especiall facial animators would think twice after seeing this. Hopefully companies try and reassign the animators replaced by this technology onto other parts of production.

Tomek

RockinAkin
10-16-2006, 05:12 AM
I want to see more of the behind the scenes from that I Love Lucy commerical they did.

I saw it on TV a few months back and was wondering how they pulled it off.
If those are 3D faces mapped onto the actors, then I'm sold on the technology.

Lamster
10-16-2006, 05:48 AM
Amazing. I wonder how easy it is to actually do the mapping though.

Honestly, if they can derive facial expression data from a face, surely they can use the same sort of logic to map body movements too no?

Terence

PyRoT
10-16-2006, 07:14 AM
Amazing. I wonder how easy it is to actually do the mapping though.

Honestly, if they can derive facial expression data from a face, surely they can use the same sort of logic to map body movements too no?

Terence

I don't think so. That kind of motion involves tracking points beign occluded, rotation of the body and trackinglimb pivot points etc. Additionally, you would need a really high-res camera to capture all the minute details if you wanted to do fingers and stuff.

Tomek

TimothyElliot
10-16-2006, 07:30 AM
There's already a thread started on this...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=417269

Dennik
10-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Ah! this is not good for an aspiring animator like me.:sad:
“Now we don’t have to spend three years having people meticulously hand-animate Charlie Sheen’s lines,” he added. “He says, ‘Food fight!’ in real time, live action, and it’s applied, via Image Metrics technology, to the character.”

So whereas a film like “Cars” (http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=290414&inline=nyt_ttl) cost $120 million and took dozens of animators five years to make, Mr. Kasanoff says that “Foodfight!,” which has not yet begun production, will be finished by February.

Sheesh.... Ignorants.... Its so obvious he has no idea what he is talking about. Hey, maybe he should apply human facial expressions to a car and see if it works!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

angel
10-16-2006, 06:55 PM
" Projects are already circulating around Hollywood that seek to revive dead actors, including one that envisions Bruce Lee starring in a new Bruce Lee picture."

As amazing as the technology seems to be, the above quote freaks me out. It is creepy and besides, can you imagine the horrors that Hollywood will come up with?

On the other hand a "Charlie Chaplin meets the Three Stooges" would be kinda funny... nah, it would still be creepy.

RobertoOrtiz
10-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Quote:
"
THERE’S nothing particularly remarkable about the near-empty offices of Image Metrics in downtown Santa Monica, loft-style cubicles with a dartboard at the end of the hallway. A few polite British executives tiptoe about, quietly demonstrating the company’s new technology.

What’s up on-screen in the conference room, however, immediately focuses the mind. In one corner of the monitor, an actress is projecting a series of emotions — ecstasy, confusion, relief, boredom, sadness — while in the center of the screen, a computer-drawn woman is mirroring those same emotions.

It’s not just that the virtual woman looks happy when the actress looks happy or relieved when the actress looks relieved. It’s that the virtual woman actually seems to have adopted the actress’s personality, resembling her in ways that go beyond pursed lips or knitted brow. The avatar seems to possess something more subtle, more ineffable, something that seems to go beneath the skin. And it’s more than a little bit creepy. "

>>LINK<< (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/15/movies/15waxm.html?ei=5087%0A&em=&en=40ce02b6fecabbcc&ex=1161144000&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1161030321-uzUdozMXGAzIfCpvIsxbiA)

-R

XEngineer
10-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Very impressive! No markers. No paint. This is the way motion capture should be done.

Flog
10-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Wow! That looks great. So will this be the comptetion to Face Robot?

I wonder if they will commercially package it and sale it?

Can't wait to see more coming soon. Once these expensive technologies are available and possilbe soon others will come out with a copy technology which does almost the same thing.

Soon you'll see your favorite packages with these technologies.

monkeybeach
10-16-2006, 09:33 PM
isn't this like the third thread today on this topic? well, nevermind, the software definately looks cool

megatronskeletor
10-16-2006, 09:34 PM
All of this kind of stuff is just PR.

Do you honestly believe that anyone quoted in the article has authority in backing up the statements they make?

This is to generate buzz.
Best thing we can do is...

Ignore it.

And hope we dont have to sit through (or work on) some lame Marilyn Monroe co-starring Jack Black romantic comedy. Gag me with a stick.

eek
10-16-2006, 09:42 PM
The third thread on software thats 3 years old - must be good lol!

Pinoy McGee
10-16-2006, 11:55 PM
All Sly Stallone has to figure out is, who can be his facial acting double :)

kiaran
10-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Congrats to Oleg and the others at Image Metrics. This software is looking more and more promising, keep up the good work.

flipnap
10-17-2006, 01:06 AM
so what if you want your characters to do something that isnt possible in the human face.. i seriously doubt you could apply this to tom and jerry.. this is just rotoscoping all over again, and we all remember what the outcome was when disney did it.. theres a space for this but i hardly think it will do away with facial animators.. photorealistic stuff yes, but thats as far as it goes... everyone calm down, we still have a job...

wolfmanyoda
10-17-2006, 03:21 AM
So instead of just getting $60 million from CBS, Katie Couric could have a younger, slimmer, Distortion-of-Beauty-Level (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=417361) model of herself made and license the use of it to all the other stations for only $40 million each, and let them use their own backstage actresses to do the facial expressions and voice.
Good Lord we'd never be able to escape her! :banghead:

cresshead
10-17-2006, 04:24 PM
looks like a turbocharged version of face station..the old plugin for 3dsmax 4-5 and maya [$2000] that also required no tracking markers or paint..it just worked!....and was live in the viewport in max/maya too...wonder what happened to that..i'd love to buy it but it's no longer available i believe...

BabeBro
10-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Wow! That looks great. So will this be the comptetion to Face Robot?

I wonder if they will commercially package it and sale it?

Can't wait to see more coming soon. Once these expensive technologies are available and possilbe soon others will come out with a copy technology which does almost the same thing.

Soon you'll see your favorite packages with these technologies.

This is a service that they provide and not a product like FaceRobot, also from what I hear they do not create any facial Rigs, you will need to do that on your own. That's where Face Robot comes in.

I think this could be another option for the Guys at Soft just as Mova is.

cresshead
10-17-2006, 05:39 PM
This is a service that they provide and not a product like FaceRobot, also from what I hear they do not create any facial Rigs, you will need to do that on your own. That's where Face Robot comes in.

I think this could be another option for the Guys at Soft just as Mova is.

what's mova?

also like i said looks like a timewarp back to 2004.
http://www.pluginz.com/news/1703

toonafish
10-17-2006, 06:03 PM
what's mova?
[/url]

Did not know either, but googled it up:

[url]http://www.mova.com/ (http://www.pluginz.com/news/1703)

yolao
10-17-2006, 06:10 PM
hey guys.

Is there any way to save the video to the hard drive?... maybe some one can post a link please!.

thanks

danshewan
10-17-2006, 06:14 PM
I can also see this technology being very important for the AI and robotics sciences. With this, robots could accurately read faces and expressions. I also think that using this technology to figure out what someone is saying based on lip movements is not too farfetched.

I'd have thought that this would have been more important to the owners of the software in the long-run, after Hollywood's initial (or not, since someone said earlier that this technology was three years old?) fascination has waned. Check this out (for anyone who missed these at the time);

http://news.3yen.com/2006-07-21/your-japanese-robots-clone-awaits/ and this;

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/06/0610_050610_robot.html

As for what movies I'd like to see use this technology? Bruce Lee versus the Three Stooges. Imagine it.

yolao
10-17-2006, 10:16 PM
by the way, the other day i see in CNN a technology bein developed in japan similar to motion capture of the full body but with out any sensor or cable... just like this cyberface but as i said for the full body... although the math that they use for this may be completly diferent.

CGTalk Moderation
10-17-2006, 10:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.