PDA

View Full Version : Acting Challenge #2: Post Progress; Deadline Oct. 31st

dudeacle
10-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Welcome to another Acting Challenge!

The Challenge Topic is Paranoid Thief

Thank you Vood for getting this one going!

Here are a couple ideas for this topic.

The character has already stolen something and is suspicious that others know what he has done.
The character is trying to steal something and is worried he will get caught.
A character that has never stolen something before.
Woody Allen trying to steal something.
A macho character that cries under the pressure.
Use lighting or sound affects that act like an alarm.
To view the rules for the acting challenge click the link http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=405834

Good luck every one! :bounce:

Vood
10-16-2006, 04:03 PM
This will be fun. I filmed my reference footage last night :)

... in my underwear ... :arteest:

qpaynter
10-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey Guys, like the animation idea so i'll be joining in for this one too. Looking forward to seeing some good pieces. Good luck to any who are entering.

ZeAle
10-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Here is some images and the a playblast of Package Man in his new adventure!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/zealexandre/WIPs/Block.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/zealexandre/WIPs/th_playblast.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/zealexandre/WIPs/?action=view&current=playblast.flv)

Any feddback will be welcome!

* May I enter more than one animation?

dudeacle
10-18-2006, 03:31 PM
I like your keys zeale. I think your timing needs work, and you should probably work on this one a little more before you start another animation. The timing looks flat, especialy where he grabs the jewel and it falls. Also i would do without the last key when he looks at the audience. Its as if he knows people are watching him and that throws off the illusion of him trying to steal something. The keys have good energy and the piece can turn out really good if the timing is reworked.

qpaynter
10-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Cool to see you getting straight into the comp. Though to me you clip seems like he's very adventurous and daring, but the subject is "Paranoid Thief". I dont think a Paranoid thief would be so bold as to fly down on a wire and swing around. Nice work, but I think you should try more to get the feeling of him being paranoid.

ZeAle
10-19-2006, 01:20 AM
I like your keys zeale. I think your timing needs work, and you should probably work on this one a little more before you start another animation. The timing looks flat, especialy where he grabs the jewel and it falls. Also i would do without the last key when he looks at the audience. Its as if he knows people are watching him and that throws off the illusion of him trying to steal something. The keys have good energy and the piece can turn out really good if the timing is reworked.

Yes, I guess you're right, I'll do some work on the timing tonight!! Tomorrow I'll post some progress. :thumbsup:

Cool to see you getting straight into the comp. Though to me you clip seems like he's very adventurous and daring, but the subject is "Paranoid Thief". I dont think a Paranoid thief would be so bold as to fly down on a wire and swing around. Nice work, but I think you should try more to get the feeling of him being paranoid.

You are right too qpaynter, and that's why I asked if I could enter another animation, this one is just to have fun :scream:

qpaynter
10-19-2006, 01:58 AM
Great!!! Ill look forward to seeing your finished version ^_^ Keep up the good work.

blurgh
10-20-2006, 08:08 AM
hey guys im back frm okinawa now !

lol ZeaAle look forward to seeign it
looks good :D

-Darken

dudeacle
10-24-2006, 11:48 PM
Here is my progress so far.

http://www.geocities.com/matt2morrow/CGSociety/MiniChallengeAnimatioin/ParanoidThief/blockingPdThief.jpg

This is all the key frames. Please let me know what you think.

Matt

qpaynter
10-25-2006, 01:56 AM
Well heres the basic idea of my anim. The clips of progress will be added shortly.

ZeAle
10-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Hey guys! I'm here just to explain that I'm away for this challenge until october 29. That's because I'm managing International Day of Animation (Oct. 28) in my Town. But as soon as possible I'll send new animation.

dudeacle, in my opinion your animation is great, and qpaynter I'd like to see more of your work, I like the idea of lasers, there's a bunch of things you can do with the character!! :thumbsup:

Good work for us!!

C ya!

dudeacle
10-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks Zeale! International day of animation sounds great! Can you come Phoenix, Arizona and do one here :), i would help of course. Ill be looking for an update when you come back.

Qpaynter i only see one thumbnail, are there others? Maybe i didnt wait long enough for them to load.

qpaynter
10-26-2006, 08:44 PM
I've been abit busy the past few days, but yeah. Theres just a thumb there for now. Thats why I said " The clips of progress will be added shortly." ^_^ Just showing the idea of my anim.

Cant wait to see peoples animations, hopefully this will get more and more popular :P I just hope people keep on the paranoid theme. I wanna see some really mentally unbalanced thieves :P

qpaynter
10-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Well sorry guys I have to leave this comp. As I normally enter all the lil comps over at SimplyCG.net. Ive just been waiting for their particle onces to finish and now theres a new fun one. So ill be entering that. Good luck to all those that enter this comp.

dudeacle
10-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Hope to see you enter another challenge qpaynter :)

SirRon
10-28-2006, 04:02 AM
Awww man! I need to check this section more often. :sad:

Guess I'll wait for the next one. In the mean time good luck everyone!

dudeacle
10-31-2006, 02:36 AM
Looks like im not going to finnish my animation in time :sad:
I will complete it and post it when its done. Good luck to everyone.
My favortie holiday is tomorrow in the United States, Halloween!! Im going to get dressed up like a fool and drink pumpkin beer. And of course eat lots of candy. Its going to suck going to work the next morning.

ZeAle
10-31-2006, 05:01 AM
As I promissed, here's my second animation, this one is inside the theme chosen.

In this scene, I made "Package Man" a bit nervous about stealing for the first time :thumbsup:

I know it's not so good, but I promiss to try harder in the next Acting Challenge!!

Feedbacks are welcome!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/zealexandre/WIPs/thief.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/zealexandre/WIPs/th_blast24.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/zealexandre/WIPs/?action=view&current=blast24.flv)

dudeacle
11-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Zeale i like how you stuck to your word and made another animation that more closely follows the topic. The first part of the animation is good up untill he decides to take it. I think the last key pose should be stronger. Also his eye does a twitch when he is reaching for it for the first time and it looks odd.

I think you should pick the topic for the next challenge.

After a fun halloween last night i am going to buckle down and finnish my animation. I should have it done by the end of the week, hopefuly :)

blurgh
11-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Hey guys!

Hey ZeAle ! i think your animation is better for stayign with the topic. It opens really well :) as Dudeacle says your later key frames could be stronger, I think you could do with some holds on them, there too much movement making it hard to read the poses.

congratz on producing something though :) pleasure to see !

Roll on the next challenge !

dudeacle
11-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Heres my late entry. Please click the link below. Comments and critques are welcome.

http://www.geocities.com/matt2morrow/CGSociety/MiniChallengeAnimatioin/ParanoidThief/CleanUp1.avi

I hope Zeale picks a topic for the next challenge. If not then we will just take the next one off the list. This way will be alot faster than voting.

SirRon
11-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Heres my late entry. Please click the link below. Comments and critques are welcome.

http://www.geocities.com/matt2morrow/CGSociety/MiniChallengeAnimatioin/ParanoidThief/CleanUp1.avi

I hope Zeale picks a topic for the next challenge. If not then we will just take the next one off the list. This way will be alot faster than voting.

I kinda like that idea of going down a list of animation challenges rather than voting. But I recommend having 2 options every month, just in case one of them isn't appealing. :shrug: Just a suggestion.

As for your entry, nice anticipation in the beginning! But it seems like you have too many poses, I'd say about 9 or 10 in a span of 7 seconds. So it's pretty much one after the other. That's the main thing that doesn't look right. Good turn at the end, I might've got you for not keeping the feet flat on the floor but it's technically outside of the camera frame so I'll let you off :)

Good job guys.

dudeacle
11-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the crit Ron. Im trying to understand what you mean by too many poses. Could you mean too beats? Or the animation is too stiff from one pose to another so it pops into the next pose? If there are any poses that are not needed which ones are they? This was also a first pass so i plan on cleaning up on it.

ZeAle
11-06-2006, 03:06 PM

Hey Dudacle! Thanks for trusting me to choose the next topic, but I guess we already have many good ideas going on. I guess we could just pick one of those.

About your animation, I guess the eyes are not moving like a paranoid's eyes.. May be a "left-right" movement in "pose 6" might help.

THanks all for the critiques on my studies.. Do we still have time to change our animation?

killermachine
11-07-2006, 02:41 PM
hey i saw this thread today and im sad as i was late i hope you ppl start your next contest soon :)

ZeAle
11-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Here's my final animation, I guess it's much better now! Thanks for all the critiques and I hope to see you all in the next challenge!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/zealexandre/WIPs/th_final_blast.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/zealexandre/WIPs/?action=view&current=final_blast.flv)

Hope you enjoy the animation!

dudeacle
11-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Zeale i dont see a difference between this animation and the last one.

blurgh
11-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Guys when are we startign the next challenge.. deadline for this one was liek a week ago lol!

i wanna get in on the action !

-Darken

SirRon
11-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the crit Ron. Im trying to understand what you mean by too many poses. Could you mean too beats? Or the animation is too stiff from one pose to another so it pops into the next pose? If there are any poses that are not needed which ones are they? This was also a first pass so i plan on cleaning up on it.

Too many beats could be another way to put it. I don't think the animation looks stiff. I do notice the change of timing in between poses, that's good. You could probably do with out panel 6 (looking at your progress post). Hmm... something else I just realized too.

It seems like he's happy, then paranoid, happy, paranoid, happy, paranoid, casual walk away. He just goes back and forth with being happy and paranoid too many times that's why I feel like there's too many poses. So maybe you can take out a pair of those?

If no one is going to pick a new topic by the end of this week, I'll take the initiative and do it :D

ZeAle
11-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Zeale i dont see a difference between this animation and the last one.

In did, there's not so much difference between this and the last preview I made, but I there's a few changes in the graph and a larger break in poses 04 and 08.

I'm still not so happy about it, but as Darken-R said, let's go to the next challenge!! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to the next topic!

dudeacle
11-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by SirRon
Too many beats could be another way to put it. I don't think the animation looks stiff. I do notice the change of timing in between poses, that's good. You could probably do with out panel 6 (looking at your progress post). Hmm... something else I just realized too.

It seems like he's happy, then paranoid, happy, paranoid, happy, paranoid, casual walk away. He just goes back and forth with being happy and paranoid too many times that's why I feel like there's too many poses. So maybe you can take out a pair of those?

Pose 6 does seem rendundant, but it is hard to tell that someone is walking from screen right to screen left because i actually never animated that :) . The character is supposed to be tracking someone moving thru the scene. Thats why he is paranoid. The animation called for a secondary character but i thought i could get away with just the main character :rolleyes:

I will start a voting thread for the next challenge. Vood did a good job setting up the last one so i think i will copy/paste his thread opener.

Im glad to see people are excited to start the next challenge!

blurgh
11-09-2006, 10:53 AM
sweet good man!

theres a list of suggested topics somewhere.... but pick whatever :)

-Darken

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2006, 10:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.