PDA

View Full Version : Problem with drive over 127GBs - system won't recognize over 1/2 the drive space...

Szos
10-15-2006, 03:43 PM
I am having issues with my PC not recognizing a 300GB drive that I had... it appears as if the entire drive is empty and it is only 127GBs in size.

This drive had most of my program/data files that I used on this very same PC before I had XP crap out on me (it was not my C: drive).

I have searched the Maxtor site and tried the different thigns they suggest (including use MaxBlast and upgrade to SP2), but nothing seems to get me this drive's data back. I have tried updating my BIOS (since the BIOS sees it as a 138GB drive), but it already is the newest available.

Anyone have experience with this stuff?

I don't think the drive is actually empty... just the same that the system (BIOS and XP) are reading it, it appears to be empty.

lots
10-15-2006, 04:11 PM
So to be clear, you used this drive in this system and all was fine? Then what happened? Did you format your Windows drive? And now after format the drive is no longer readable (correctly)?

Szos
10-15-2006, 04:37 PM
^ To clarify, the previous install of this PC crapped out - NTBL was either gone or corrupted, and I actually thought the C: drive was gone.

Got new IDE HD, reinstalled XP already on it. Found out that 1 of the 2 SCSI drives had crashed. And the one other IDE HD (300GB) drive that was working fine in the old system can now only read 127GBs in Windows.

That drive is a Maxtor 300GB 6B300R0 drive.

( I hope that is a little more clear, cuz honestly at this stage I am forgetting exactly how the old config actually was)

I did not format ANY of the old drives.

Tej
10-16-2006, 04:46 AM
Hi

Ok first thing. No need to format any drive and your data is not lost. If you have attached your 300Gb to XP SP1, it will pick up the first 120Gb or so and will not read other remaining half and rewrite some boot records or something, dont actually know what it does. Now dont attach this drive to your system yet. Well you can try resetting bios too first.

Install fresh XP SP2 on any other HDD, attach the 300Gb after windows has installed and windows will try to recover all of your data when you log in. It will rewrite the file structure and recover your drive that wasnt shown in XP. XP before SP2 recognizes maximum of 120Gb drive.
So it rewrites structure or so of the other remaining but doesnt delete the data. I attached my 200gb to xp at my friends computer and it picked up the first 120 and showed nothin as data. I got scared but when I got home attached my drive to my pc, all data was automatically recovered. By the way there was 170Gb of data on it. Took a few minutes though.
Do not cancel that phase, when you log in and windows xp 2 is recovering your data.

If nothing happens you can also attach your 300Gb to any other system which has xp sp2 installed just attach the drive to that system and hopefully your drive will be recovered.

So any more questions just ask! Hopefully this will help though.

Szos
10-16-2006, 02:30 PM
^^ I REALLY wish it was that simple...

I essentially did exactly that, but XP SP2 didn't try to recover any data or anything like that. XP SP2 was installed on the brand new HD just this past weekend. I had the drive already attached to the system, so I unplugged it. Then re-attached it. SP2 still was seeing it as one 127GB drive with nothign on it. I went into the BIOS and changed one of the settings (I think it was Translation Mode, which was set to BitShift, but then I changed it to something else)... rebooted after that, went into the Admin Tools of XP SP2 and it can see the full drive size now, but it thinks the drive is unformatted.... (before this, it thought it was alread formatted, just much smaller).

So it seems that I have taken 1 step forward, but 2 steps back.

I have one friend that as XP SP2, so MAYBE he will let me install my HD onto his system, but I think his system is SATA, while all my HDs are regular ATA, so no good there.

Tej
10-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Well sorry to hear that didnt work, so you are running parallel ATA, well i had SATA in my case, but anyhow you can attach your ATA at your friend's place along with SATA no problem in that. There are IDE ports and ATA will work fine along with SATA no problem at all in that.
Hey you didnt make any array right, like Raid config? if you have any raid or scsi config, putting your hdd in different controller also will lead to this kind of problem like drive not detected or other controllers not recognizing the drive properly and showing it unformatted or empty. And if you had your drive in any raid array DO NOT attach it to any other system.

And dont attach it to computer with previous XP versions. If it doesnt work keep the Hdd with you for the time being, i'l try to figure out the problem if i can.

In the meantime, you can tell me as much detail as you can about your system configuration and components and what settings your system was running before like any raid arrays and other hard drives. And the list of drives like C,D,E and which drive/s belonged to which Hdd. Hopefully i will be able to help.

Lastly disk recovery programs work fine with ATAs, i have recovered lots of data from softwares like ontrack easy recovery professional, even works on formatted drives, i have found it useful most of the times and it has recovered 90% data mostly. So that will be the last option if nothing works.
Anyways, update if it doesnt work.

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2006, 04:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.