PDA

View Full Version : Painting textures via VectorPaint/FXTree

dwigfor
10-15-2006, 02:14 AM
I wanted to try to paint something fairly simple via Vector Paint/FX Tree.

Do you need to draw a render region in order to see the result on the model?

I modelled my object, setup the uvs, setup the material, created a blank clip from a white 1024x1024 source and attached that to my lambert shader and selected my projection. In FXTree, I connected a vector paint to my clipout. I can paint in the viewer, but don't see the results until I draw a render region.......

Also, is there an easier way to control the brush size? I don't own a wacom, so I'd like to use a keyboard shortcut or ideally, my mouse wheel. I found that I can hit 2 to bring up brush props and use the sliders to adjust the radious/opacity, but I was hoping for a more interactive method.

Thanks.
-Dave

dwigfor
10-15-2006, 02:40 AM
Took a little more work, but I got it working by adding a file out, importing clip from file and connecting that.. Was hoping there was an easier (no file rendering), but that should work ok..

If anyone has better solutions, I'm all ears...

softmonkey
10-15-2006, 03:35 PM
In the compositing prefs/or file in ppg there is an option to save on frame change. I just then move the timeline forward and back using the arrow keys.

I don't have XSI in front of me now, but i have demoed this workflow lots and often use the vector paint to produce texture guides.

Take a stamp of the UVs and comp that on so you can see the uv boundaries. If you are using Subds, you may find it easier to stamp a duplicate (with explicit subdivision).

Brush size is controlled using [ and ], just like PS.

dwigfor
10-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. I've also been posting on XSIbase...

My best success so far is to plug my stamp into the input of vector paint, and plug that into a clip out. After setting my materials to Realtime/Opengl/AlphaTrans, it appears that my viewport updates after I finish adjusting a shape (drag a handle, let go, viewport updates).

Thanks for the [] tip. Someone already replied with that on the Base. Wish it was more like AE's paint (use ctrl and move mouse to very quickly change the size of the brush). Holding down [ or ] is workable...

Couple of more questions..
1) Is there an erase brush? How can I paint holes thru my paint strokes?
2) Is there a way to "Send Backwards/Send Forwards) the brush shapes? How can I control which is drawn on top?
3) What's the best way to create a grid? Multiple thin rectangle shapes?

CGTalk Moderation
10-15-2006, 08:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.