PDA

View Full Version : A Boy's Story - VFS animation short

som3d59
10-14-2006, 10:29 PM
I just finish my graduation reel and still want to improve it. Please feel free to comments and I wish you enjoy my piece.

http://student.vfs.com/~3d59bussaba/reel_web_size.mov (http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d59bussaba/reel_web_size.mov) (14 mb)

Thanks a lot !

http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d59bussaba/web_poster_1.jpg

http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d59bussaba/web_poster_2.jpg

TomStackpole
10-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Congratulations!

I'm sure it was a lot of work and it came out looking very consistant and complete. I think you did some difficult things, like the boy laughing, really well and the whole thing moved along at a good pace.

Good luck with your future work.

pommegenozide
10-15-2006, 10:04 PM
You surprised (as well as impressed) me, with this short period of time, a person who didn't really know about 3D could pull out the efforts to finish an animation short like this piece.

As I said before, I like your animation style as well as your camera works, you weren't afraid of using Long Shots or Extreme Close-Ups just because you wanted to show only animation in a neutral distance/angle. And your animations are not over-cartoony, no unreasonable anticipations/movements which is good, and eventhough there're still room for improvement in some parts of the animation, but you've done a good job already.

Keep it up!

KOKE
10-16-2006, 06:00 AM
Nice job Som,
you improved a lot in a very short period of time.
You should be proud of that :thumbsup:.

Best of luck with the job hunt.

JK.

:D

som3d59
10-16-2006, 10:30 AM
I almost think my work is suck. Thank you for every compliments and comments. It means a lot to me. Good luck for you guys too :)

alanf
10-17-2006, 12:00 AM
Hey Som, you went a long way since I first saw the story, and like KOKE said, you should be proud of that. :thumbsup:

Batchem
10-17-2006, 12:42 AM
The animation was fun to watch and I'm sure that is what you were after. The teeth bothered me. They matched his shirt and had no definition. Make them whiter and/or put braces on them to make him even more of a dork. Great job on the animation!

Batchem

PK-man
10-17-2006, 01:42 AM
Great job, Som!! :thumbsup: You've improved so much in the past 6 months. Your work doesn't suck. It's just "foggy". LOL, just kidding. The Dave character certainly looks like someone....

Anyways, you should be proud of your animation, certainly a job well done!

David

Zoober
10-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Congrats on finishing your short Bussaba!

You've really improved a lot over the last few months. Your film is one of my favourites in the class, it's a fun and original story.

Best of luck!

PHO 75
10-18-2006, 12:31 AM
Hi Som,
lovely piece, the idea is quite unique. i know you were having a lot of story issues in the beginning but i think the end result really works because you kept it simple. I think your animation has come a long way and you should be happy with how you've progressed. I think the lighting was pulled off quite nicely too. my fav part is still when he first sees his little buddy and shuffles backwards towards and around the bookshelf. good luck with everything. take care

Phan

som3d59
10-19-2006, 06:39 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind compliments and comments. I'm really appreciate it and will keep it to improve my piece in the future. For VFS students, you guys are more than mentor for me. I enjoy this year a lot and wish we'll meet again...or at least sharing our stuff in here. :)

Yuko
10-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Hey Som! Finally you did it! really a great job.:thumbsup:
Your piece meke me smile everytime I watch, which I think incredible!!!
I spent best time being a neighbor with you. Keep in touch!!!:love:

yuta_vfx
10-20-2006, 03:46 PM
hey som, nice work. This is really cute and nice story. I like it.

I really like when the monstar is jumping. feels like he is really trying to jump !! cool cool.

nice work som !!

Capn_Camo
10-21-2006, 05:10 AM
Not a bad little short. The story is simple and to-the-point plus the characters are likable. My main concern was with the sound. It would have been nice to have some more ambient sounds, (such as pencil scratching when the boy is drawing, or slight crimpling sounds when the pages on the wall flicker in the wind). On top of that, you could have sound effects for the boy and the "thing" as they move and become vocal and simply have the music in the background - experimenting with gradients for when the boy gets a fright or when he realises the "thing" is not harmful. Sound is a crucial element in telling a story - even if it is only just music.

The point where the boy comes to a realisation, the music just stops, and there is silence. I honestly feel that this is boring, and it makes it look incomplete. Even if you throw in slight ambient sounds it would be better than nothing at all :)

All in all you have a pretty cool piece. Some parts of the animation seemed very "back and forth" - such as when the boy scratches his arm, but generally speaking you've shown some decent skills

Keep it up! :buttrock:

Camo

som3d59
10-21-2006, 07:29 AM
Yuko, I do enjoy your piece a lot too! And pretty sure when you show it in here, people will love it also. Sittying next to you is such a pleasure moment for me. :)

Yuta, thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you like my monster!

Camo, I totally agree with you about sound effect. I'll try it for sure. Anyway, I think may be there're some mistaken or problem when you load my reel, coz when the boy's back to reality, the same music still keep playing until the end. I thought of making it stop too, but I didn't do it due to the time limit. By the way, thanks for your truthful comments. I'll keep improving my animation :buttrock:

som3d59
10-21-2006, 07:44 AM
Sorry Camo I got you wrong. You mean when he back to 'realisation' not 'reality' :eek: ...ok I understand now. Yeah, it's between the 2nd and 3rd music. I'll take care of that. Thanks a lot, man!

Oh, I also check your game 'LA noir', it looks very cool!

Bahaya
10-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Congratulations for finishing a short movie! i know how you must have felt, when it was finally done! So great. The monster is my favorite, very cute!

TehYeh
10-23-2006, 06:18 AM
yay its done, the deranged strange boy and his pet monster

turned out well, so whats next? pap and daughter story you wanted to do?

you did a great job, im really happy it turned out great

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2006, 06:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.