PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush- Xsi Displacement: Mission Impossible???

marciani
10-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Hi all
the title is a little bit ironic, probably is my fault, but..........

I DIDN'T SAW ANY PICTURE using the displacement extract from ZBRUSH in XSI(following the tutorial...)

I know , if you find there are so many link about workflow also pdf pipeline in ZBRUSH Homepage, but no picture or works following this tutorial (i've checked every post about this)
I'm spending so much time learning the pipeline tutorial from Zbrush site, but here you can read about this topic http://206.145.80.239/zbc/forumdisplay.php?f=2, nobody is able to have a decent displacement following the step proposed.
I have XSI 5.0 and i've tried all the XSI code inside Zbrush displacement exporter, but nothingh happen.....
I don't want open a war but seems (viewing the picture in the forum) more manageable in MAX or MAYA then XSI.
I know you have the gigacore poligon and you can export the whole mesh in the scene, but it's not the same.........
Any hint or tips?
Thx for reply
Leo

MagicMushroom
10-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Hi,I bought few weeks ago a DT "ZBrush and XSI Integration" ,followed thoroughly tutorials and everything works fine.

AnonyMouse
10-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Something is wrong. I spert a lot of time to understand how displacement maps work (and not enought). Max export to .obj is more difficult because of the uvw coordinates. It is more difficult, I think.
Just check some tutorials, probably you missed something.

Noratio
10-14-2006, 09:25 PM
http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=27213
I can't remember where ever the original thread is and it seems it is difficult to search. So I'll drop the settings here too, you can tweak it more but this works.

Use D32MentalRay in zbrush MultiDisp Exporter2 creation. Type quick code

DE-LBEK-EAEAEA-32MentalRay

At xsi obj importer set value of 2 to Alpha Depth Factor regardless what you had in zbrush.

With these you might get invalid software tag error in xsi but it is only cause quick code was for maya I believe, just ignore it and you will be fine.

Where is the original thread? Search D32 on this board there is some posts about this at least the Mick posted.

Noratio
10-15-2006, 06:21 AM
About the tutorial, it does fine except you need to use D16 instead of R16. Wouldn't take too much time to change one image and letter R to D. The red channel image didn't work for me either, and has been the cause of so many confusions on the matter.

marciani
10-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Hi all, thx for reply

Use D32MentalRay in zbrush MultiDisp Exporter2 creation. Type quick code

Code:
DE-LBEK-EAEAEA-32MentalRay

i've tried this, is going better, but far away from Zbrush results.
P.S When i use Multidisplacement2 i obtein so many pics, is there a way to obtein only one.
For alpha factor i use the create displacement menu and copy that value, then use Multidisp2 menu and import in obj in XSI.
Thx
Leo

Noratio
10-16-2006, 12:24 PM
i've tried this, is going better, but far away from Zbrush results.

Note that there is a limit you can displace from original mesh, there needs to be enough geometry. You may try view dependant and add subdees until you get the result. Also try Parametric in Geometry Aproximation and crank up the Refinement Settings step to 4.

P.S When i use Multidisplacement2 i obtein so many pics, is there a way to obtein only one.

It makes only those you have marked as status On in export options. You recognize those as highlighted as orange.

For alpha factor i use the create displacement menu and copy that value, then use Multidisp2 menu and import in obj in XSI.

did you use alpha depth factor value 2 while import, it works better for the D32 image.

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2006, 12:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.