PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk 3ds Max 9

hv2
10-14-2006, 08:36 PM
:wip: Anyone knows this, max 9 is out on 16th october!!! whe hope to many good changes, and many highlights stuff and more!
visit now via: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7658360
P.S: The start screen don`t looks so good now whit that two snakes, i think it was more better whit a professionaly designed start screen, The snakes do not look phtorealistic at all :sad:

coboman
10-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Is it? The trial download is still of Max 8, and there is no place you can buy Max 9.

The Launch Tour goes all the way until November 21, so I don´t think it is already available.

The link you provide is the anouncement of the new features of Max 9, that have been there for months now.

bardur
10-14-2006, 09:57 PM
its sayd to be out this monday (16th Okt.)

Squash-n-Stretch
10-14-2006, 10:21 PM
So new it ain't actually even News yet! Hurray!

*Goes off to start a Maya 9 thread*

Arcanox
10-14-2006, 10:29 PM
:wip: Anyone knows this, max 9 is out!!! whe hope to many good changes, and many stuff!
visit now via: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=5659302&siteID=123112
PS: the start screen don`t looks so good now whit that 2 snakes :sad:

Are you kidding? Pascal did an awsome job of the splash screen. I took a screengrab and pasted it in as my splash.bmp for Max 8.

RockinAkin
10-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Yeah, Pascals new splash is badass. :thumbsup:

EnlightenedPixel
10-15-2006, 12:32 AM
That snake thing is the new splash screen?

Well at least its 100X better than the freaking Max8 Box.

ThirdEye
10-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Hasn't Max 9 been announced a century ago more or less? So how's this cgnews? Why do you have a Lw box in your avatar? Why is the trial version still Max 8? What does the splash screen have to do with the discussion? Who is Pascal?

:shrug::rolleyes::shrug:

Nardes
10-15-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm not a gury when it comes to taste and design, but I think the snakes look great.
Thumbs up for Pascal :thumbsup: , whoever he is...

I am really looking forward to the hair improvements they've done.
Hope it gets out soon.

Squash-n-Stretch
10-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Who is Pascal?

:shrug::rolleyes::shrug:

Your a CG artist/Mod at CGTalk and you don't know who Pascal Blanche is? I hope you are being sarcastic!! :D

I definitely do not idolise the man, but the are nice models. I will be doing some colour correction in photoshop to my splash screen though...the colours are gaudy. Better than 8's at any rate! Seems like only yesterday when we were frothing at the mouth over the crap black splash.

thoughtlesswhisper
10-15-2006, 12:37 PM
i have the utmost respect for anybody who is in the CG profession, especially people who have established themselves as great talents such as this pascal blanche guy. (never heard of him) but i have to say i dont like snakes image (if its the pic shown on autodesk link)....

The snkaes do not look phtorealistic at all. They look nice and stylised though. The colours do not look clean, and give a dirty feel. they are to vivid. The image does not give me an impression of what 3dsmax can do. the composition is odd as well.

The snakes look technically cool, but artistically boring and do not relate to max to me. I would have thought they would go for something more clean, maybe architectural, or sci fi, or something more representative of max's uses like a cool next gen games character (possibly)

Steve Green
10-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Hi,

Actually, they do relate to Max.

The product lines have icons, Maya is a dragon and Max has two snakes.

So, the Maya 8 splash is a dragon, and the Max 9 splash is two snakes.

Regards,

Steve

danshewan
10-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Moving away from people's opinions of the splash screen (which I think is really stylish, by the way), I was at the Autodesk: Ideas Realised product roadshow tour in London a few weeks back, and the demonstration of 3DS Max 9 in action was seriously impressive. I bet there's more than a few anxious people itching to get their hands on their copy tomorrow.....

Bao2
10-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Who is Pascal?

Pascal [Blanché], Steven [Stahlberg], Neil [Blevins], Paul [Neale]...
They are our Gods!

EnlightenedPixel
10-15-2006, 05:39 PM
They are our Gods!
Very helpfull and giving gods too I might add.

rock
10-15-2006, 08:16 PM
It may have been inspired by Snakes on a Plane - a 3dmax plane.

thoughtlesswhisper
10-15-2006, 08:41 PM

Rofl!! Brilliant :applause:

Squash-n-Stretch
10-15-2006, 11:07 PM

Errmm....anyway...o_0

Is it being released tommorow as someone on the previous page said?

Steve Green
10-15-2006, 11:11 PM
As far as I know, yes - at least that's the date that was given at a roadshow.

I haven't heard anything different since then. We'll know tomorrow one way or the other.

Cheers

Steve

Squash-n-Stretch
10-15-2006, 11:30 PM
Will Max 9 feature MaxBooleans or will it continue to be a subscription only tool?

opus13
10-16-2006, 12:19 AM
new booleans will be integrated

ThirdEye
10-16-2006, 01:35 AM
They are our Gods!

God... err good for you, i'm agnostic.

ThirdEye
10-16-2006, 01:38 AM
Your a CG artist/Mod at CGTalk and you don't know who Pascal Blanche is? I hope you are being sarcastic!! :D

I never said i don't know who Pascal Blanché is. I did say, though, that i ain't got a clue about who "Pascal" is. Pascal Rainbault? Pascal Blanché? Blaise Pascal? Turbo Pascal?

10-16-2006, 03:05 AM
FYI: The download page for trial 8th version was unable to be accessed last saturday....
Haven't tried today. Error or Converting to Max 9?
Can't wait for the 9th Version XD

bardur
10-16-2006, 10:37 AM
still no Max 9..... huff:sad:
But... theres still time!:D

Squash-n-Stretch
10-16-2006, 12:42 PM
It's like waiting for a CGTalk Challenge to begin.

Bao2
10-16-2006, 01:10 PM
We are downloading Max8 but it seems you are not conscious of it.
In the Max forum here in CGTalk you can see a thread with this link:

Max 9 Demo link:
http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0049.050

Bao2
10-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Turbo Pascal?

There is only a Pascal in the 3D world and it is not Turbo Pascal. He uses Max and this thread is about Max. You use Cinema4D so I can understand you don't get it first.

ThirdEye
10-16-2006, 01:37 PM
There is only a Pascal in the 3D world

I'll have to tell Pascal Raimbault to retire and leave WETA then.

bardur
10-16-2006, 01:43 PM
We are downloading Max8 but it seems you are not conscious of it.
In the Max forum here in CGTalk you can see a thread with this link:

Max 9 Demo link:
http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0049.050

NICE!!!... just tried it... its great... though i have to get myself Windows XP x64bit to use it to its full extent... Thanks!

Regards

Bao2
10-16-2006, 02:13 PM

That is Maya not Max.
And please tell him stay in Weta.:)

ashrafazlan
10-16-2006, 02:22 PM

Or change his name :scream:

smalline
10-16-2006, 03:27 PM
You use cinema 4d so I can understand you don't get it first.
Autodesk tries to salvage 3d max, to make the best of a bad job
beyond remedy, past remedy
The reason: so many users switch to other software....

hv2
10-16-2006, 04:05 PM
new booleans will be integrated

That it will be great! and many thanks to the Bao2 for the max 9 Demo link: http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0049.050 ;)

AdrianWilliams
10-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Max 9 Is shipping now, just got my email form Autodesk
The Demo is up for grabs to!

And stop all the hate people use software in different ways for different things so don’t knock it till you find a good use for it. That’s what pipelines are for to mix and match what you need to get the best results.

So every body chill lol

Squash-n-Stretch
10-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Autodesk tries to salvage 3d max, to make the best of a bad job
beyond remedy, past remedy
The reason: so many users switch to other software....

Uuuhh...are you a Blender user?

1. 3dsMax has the best modelling tools out of any off-the-shelf package

2. Not only does Blender NOT have the best tools, it also has a horrible interface so good luck finding the tools that are there.

3. 3ds Max has the best off-the-shelf particle system solution in a generalist package.

4. Blender can't even get the basics right; but do they fix 'em? Nope, they just keep adding on extra Gucci tools like a nodal materials system instead of going back and making sure the basics work.

In short, 3DS Max rocks, Blender sucks. That is all.
:D

smalline
10-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Uuuhh...are you a Blender user?

1. 3dsMax has the best modelling tools out of any off-the-shelf package

2. Not only does Blender NOT have the best tools, it also has a horrible interface so good luck finding the tools that are there.

3. 3ds Max has the best off-the-shelf particle system solution in a generalist package.

4. Blender can't even get the basics right; but do they fix 'em? Nope, they just keep adding on extra Gucci tools like a nodal materials system instead of going back and making sure the basics work.

In short, 3DS Max rocks, Blender sucks. That is all.
:D

...and, my granny(Blender) is more beautiful than your granny(3d max), she possesses a special blend of intellectual curiosity

Squash-n-Stretch
10-16-2006, 04:42 PM
...and, my granny(Blender) is more beautiful than your granny(3d max), she possesses a special blend of intellectual curiosity

Well that showed me!

Hang on, no...what? o_0

CiaránMurphy
10-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Now now children... no fanboy stuff! Strange I tried to download Max 9 but zip was corrupt... anyone else get this? I'll try again tonight, otherwise I won't get to play with it coz I'm off to Borneo on holidays for 2 weeks on thursday... oh the stress! :-)

smalline
10-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Well that showed me!

Hang on, no...what? o_0

Relax Julio Cesar

Squash-n-Stretch
10-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Relax Julio Cesar

o_0

0_o

Anyone else getting any of this?

o_0

lmao

Is anyone having probs with the setup files of Max 9?

smalline
10-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Anyone else getting any of this?

?

your merry cat

kgolebczyk
10-16-2006, 05:20 PM
1. 3dsMax has the best modelling tools out of any off-the-shelf package - try softimage|XSI, much better than 3ds max

3. 3ds Max has the best off-the-shelf particle system solution in a generalist package. - try Houdini, definitely much better than 3ds max

stenosis|kill
10-16-2006, 05:30 PM
you're all too professional :thumbsup: lol

eliseu gouveia
10-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Nobody ever answers me this:

Why is Max´paint deformation so similar to ZBrush´s way of modeling (right down to the alt + mouse to excavate)?

Or vice-versa?

RobertoOrtiz
10-16-2006, 09:23 PM
People debating what package is better than the other is one hell of a dumb exercise.

So enough, and lets get back on topic
-R

smalline
10-16-2006, 09:25 PM
i think, 3d max forum isn't here, and this isn't CGNews!
3d max needs more acknowledgment???
3dmax's badly off???
3dmax's doing badly???

ffear
10-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Is the demo 32bit or both 32 and 64?

Steve Green
10-16-2006, 09:28 PM
The release of any new app is news AFAIK.

The demo only seems to be 32 bit.

Cheers

Steve

ffear
10-16-2006, 09:38 PM
The demo only seems to be 32 bit.

So you have xp64 and it installed in the 32bit programs folder?

stenosis|kill
10-16-2006, 10:02 PM
i think, 3d max forum isn't here, and this isn't CGNews!
3d max needs more acknowledgment???
3dmax's badly off???
3dmax's doing badly???

calm down and get a life

thoughtlesswhisper
10-17-2006, 12:21 AM
3dsmax ftw :)

coboman
10-17-2006, 07:10 AM
I just downloaded the demo, but it is the 32 bit version (it says so everywhere). So, where is the 64 bit version ? Isn´t it ready?

By the way, I am VERY IMPRESSED with the new final gathering for mental ray. Is like magic, you just click a checkbox and voila! perfect global illumination, fast and easy. WOW!

The new interface for hair and fur is also great.

But I am a little disapointed with the increased Poly editing speed. It is really not improving the speed for Meshsmooth and Turbosmooth. I thought I could now edit my models in real time looking at the final version with turbosmooth, but it is still too slow. (How come XSI can do it since like 7 years ago, and Cinema 4 also?)

I hope the 64 bit version is a bit faster.

erilaz
10-17-2006, 07:28 AM
Nobody ever answers me this:

Why is Max´paint deformation so similar to ZBrush´s way of modeling (right down to the alt + mouse to excavate)?

Or vice-versa?

Many packages have paint deformation, so i'm not sure why you'd think max would be any different. It's just another tool. :shrug:

f97ao
10-17-2006, 09:18 AM
But I am a little disapointed with the increased Poly editing speed. It is really not improving the speed for Meshsmooth and Turbosmooth. I thought I could now edit my models in real time looking at the final version with turbosmooth, but it is still too slow. (How come XSI can do it since like 7 years ago, and Cinema 4 also?)

I hope the 64 bit version is a bit faster.

The editable_poly speed is quite alot faster (especially for vertices), but as you can see turboSmooth has not been updated. Do'nt expect any speed improvements in max 64 bit. However the fact that we can adress more memory is even more important I would say. What good is super speed if max run out of memory and crash?
If you want fast turboSmooth I humbly suggest you to check out: www.fusion-wave.com/polyspeed.php (http://www.fusion-wave.com/polyspeed.php)

64 is the best feature in my book, and the poly speed increase is very welcome as well. Now I just hope max9 is a bit more stable, please.
/Andreas

Arcanox
10-17-2006, 11:29 AM
I'm kind of dissapointed with the viewport speed enhancements. Yes, I notice a difference but I was hoping to abandon my usage of geometry layers for 700+ tri scenes, sadly this is not the case. The only way I was able to get my viewports to co-operate was to throw an edit mesh modifer on top, but I never liked that trick in Max 8 and it takes a moment or two to turn off the modifer while editing on the base level.

I have to say though, I'm absolutely in LOVE with the mentalray changes. It seems much faster, and the FG solving is quick as well, and I really like how it shows the light calc phase for the Illumination. Architectural materials are pretty awsome too.

Steve Green
10-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi,

is anyone else having a bit of problem with sorting errors on edge selection?

I have a simple cylinder with extrusions, and when I do a loop select the selected edges are not all highlighted, and flickers when the viewport is panned.

This is on an old GF4 graphics card, but I can't see anything that might help it in viewport preferences.

It happens on wireframe and edged faces display, and if there isn't a way to fix it, it would make it very difficult to model with, as you would constantly have to check if edges were selected or not.

Thanks,

Steve

f97ao
10-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi,

is anyone else having a bit of problem with sorting errors on edge selection?

I have a simple cylinder with extrusions, and when I do a loop select the selected edges are not all highlighted, and flickers when the viewport is panned.

This is on an old GF4 graphics card, but I can't see anything that might help it in viewport preferences.

It happens on wireframe and edged faces display, and if there isn't a way to fix it, it would make it very difficult to model with, as you would constantly have to check if edges were selected or not.

I'm using a nvidia 6800 at work. And I can't replicate the error here. No flickering and so far the selections look all right. Does this happen to all objects? I'm trying on a sphere and a teapot here.
/Andreas

Steve Green
10-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi Andreas,

it's weird, a sphere didn't show the problem and if I attached the cylinder to the sphere, it fixed it.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Green
10-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Hi Andreas,

OK, try this

In edged faces mode, create a cylinder

Collapse to editable poly and select a horizontal edge loop

Use interactive chamfer

I get a broken loop selection on the top newly created loop, but the other loops are OK.

Cheers,

Steve

f97ao
10-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Hi Andreas,

OK, try this

In edged faces mode, create a cylinder

Collapse to editable poly and select a horizontal edge loop

Use interactive chamfer

I get a broken loop selection on the top newly created loop, but the other loops are OK.

Cheers,

Steve

It still works fine here Steve :)

Another nice thing is that for once turboSmooth update selections correctly in the scene. So sub selections and Hidden faces are shown correctly (they were bugged in max7 and max8).

Steve you gotta buy a new video card for your super large scenes! You are aware that an Nvidia 7800 card is about 7 times faster on larger scenes in max?
It's a very big difference. I tried max 32bit on my windows 64bit, and the program wouldn't run. Hope the 64bit version works better.

/Andreas

newellteapot
10-17-2006, 01:47 PM
as long as Max 9 doesn't crash, I don't care about the splash screen. :)

They can use two badgers next time, for all I care (not such a bad idea after all...:) )
Jokes apart, apparently it's very good, looking forward to have the chance to try it.

Steve Green
10-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Hi Andreas,

this isn't my main machine - I'm testing Max 9 on my crash-test dummy machine as I'm in the middle of a job and don't want to risk screwing up anything. It's normally just a render slave/e-mail machine.

I guess it's just something peculiar with the gfx card, or the drivers - I'll test it properly at the end of the month when I'm done with this job.

CHeers

Steve

eliseu gouveia
10-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Many packages have paint deformation, so i'm not sure why you'd think max would be any different. It's just another tool. :shrug:

Thanks, I didn´t know that (I don´t know that many apps aside from Max and Truespace).

Looking at that video comparison between Max9´s Paint Deformation update speed and Max8 reminded me of my reaction the first time I saw it, going: "- Waitaminute, where have I seen this before?"

SnifferCZ
10-17-2006, 09:08 PM
3ds Max 9 has finally been released! A brief extract of what news it brings can be seen either on the manufacturer's site or in my "First review HERE (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3939329). You'll for sure be much more interested in how 3ds Max 9, after the core recompilation, accounts for its performance. Is it faster than Max 8? What about rendering? Is it worth upgrading? Is it worth going for the 64-bit version? All these questions are answered! I've performed numerous viewport and rendering tests. Their description, comparisons and mainly the results are to be found in the article. - Clash of the Titans: Comparing performance between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of 3ds Max 9.

http://www.duber.cz/training/thumbs/clash_of_titans.jpg (http://www.maxarea.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1988)

Read now! (http://www.maxarea.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1988)

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
10-17-2006, 09:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.