PDA

View Full Version : New Animation Tutorials: Breakdowns, Favors & Eases

keithlango
10-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Howdy folks
Now that I am working in my own studio I have been trying to get caught up on releasing some new free tutorials. It's been almost 2 years since I had released any free tutorials on my site, so I figured I needed to give back some more to the animation community.

Anyhow, I have two new tutorials on my site.
The first one (released a couple weeks back) is named Breakdowns Can Be Such a Drag. (link (http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/overlap/overlap.html)) The central theme here is how to make the most of your breakdowns and how to take your animation to a higher level of goodness by understanding the power of the breakdown and how to use it properly for things like drags and overlap.

The name of the second tutorial (released just today) is Do Me a Favor: Favors, Eases & Other Mysteries of Space. (link (http://www.keithlango.com/wordpress/?page_id=281)) This tutorial covers the topics of favors and eases and how they relate to one another, how they relate to spacing and timing and in general what's the deal is with both. So if you've been confused about stuff like favors and eases or spacing and timing and how these things all relate together, then hopefully this helps.

Both tutorials try to bring an understanding of the classic structure of traditional animation techniques into the CG realm.

It's good to be back and doing free stuff for the community again after such a long break. I hope these little snippets help folks better understand & improve their animation.

Enjoy!

-k

ps: Mods, I didn't know if it's OK to post this kind of stuff here, so feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place. Thx.

yolao
10-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey Keith.

Thanks a lot for the tutorials, i was just checking a few days ago some of them and they are fantastic, i like a LOT the fact that you include video samples in them.

Your work is great:thumbsup: and it is a very good thing that you share your knowledge.

Cheers

halloween
10-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Thank you mate.

FloydBishop
10-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey Keith, these are great. It's nice to have people give back to the animation community.

My only comment (and it's minor) would be that you might want to include a character animation example at the end of the "Do Me a Favor: Favors, Eases & Other Mysteries of Space" tutorial.

While the spheres and speech examples show the lessons you are trying to convey, I think an example of character animation would drive home the point.

keithlango
10-14-2006, 10:41 PM
While the spheres and speech examples show the lessons you are trying to convey, I think an example of character animation would drive home the point.

Thanks, Floyd. You're probably right, I'll need to toss something in there. I'll do an update in a few weeks or something. This week is kinda crazy with a VTS video due and a workshop in Sao Paulo to prepare for. But I'll definitely get a character sample in there soon.

-k

spj
10-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks Keith! Great stuff.

Kinematics
10-16-2006, 01:27 AM
thanks so for. im reading about ur comments about ur previous overlapping action report. Thanks so much for further developing ur stuff to help us all. :D I really appreciate the help

Stahlberg
10-16-2006, 02:53 AM
Excellent work, should be required reading!
I think we threw out the baby with the peg bars. We need to think of these things as drawings, not magical pixel fairies that can be mushed about with spaghetti strings of math. If the electricity went out, would we still know how to animate? :D :D

doCHtor
10-16-2006, 06:25 AM
Great tutorials, thanks Keith.

coldfuse[ofX]
10-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Keith you legend!

Just visited your site yesterday was like the first time i heard about you, from another animation fourm, which talked about breakdowns which someone linked to yoursite. The information you give is wonderful! PLease dont stop as its always nice to get the indepth information that will help others learn and souly progress things.

Great to see you on here!

yeoj
10-17-2006, 06:03 AM
another great tutorial! thanks! :thumbsup:

spikkel
10-17-2006, 06:21 AM
Awesome, Thanks man!

Psionic Design
10-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Good stuff and thanks for sharing!!

CGTalk Moderation
10-17-2006, 10:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.