PDA

View Full Version : The Guilty feeling

AnharMiah
10-14-2006, 02:24 AM
Hmm, Just read up on Vue from the Vue Website, is it just me, or does anybody else get that guilty feeling. You know like almost *cheating*, becuase you get such great result with such little effort, I mean to say some of the multi Billion polygon scenes would be impossible to do in a normal kind of way (in your 3d app say). But on the flip side, if you had to do a project that required such scenes it logically makes sense, to use such tools. I suppose there is no reason to re-invent the wheel...

But I wonder if "pro's" snort their noses and look down upon those whose wish to use this type of tool, because maybe it can't really be considered Art?

Anhar

sacslacker
10-14-2006, 03:08 AM
Well asside from the fact that there are major studios using it, the thing that one has to learn to get over is the whole "is this art" thing. There comes a point that if slapping a preset Maya fluid effect or a nice little eco system makes the shot, then do it. Worry about being an artist when you aren't worried about deadlines and making money.

I've seen some seriously nice "art" from Vue users.

Kevin Sanderson
10-14-2006, 03:29 AM
All the pros I know are completely willing to use shortcuts. Everyone wants to go home (or if they work at home, go someplace else or do something else) and not spend all day working, no matter how much they love their job.

Look at it another way...there are professionals who do commercials and shows for radio and television...they don't create everything themselves...there are music libraries, sound effects libraries, video background libraries, font collections, stock art, stock video, stock film...and buildings, sets and props for sale and rent. Actors to hire, etc. There are professional filmmakers...ditto.

Sure, it's fun and a great charge to do everything well, or as much as possible, but if you ever want to meet budgets and deadlines, get something completed, or just go home, a shortcut is a good thing.

It's the result that counts in the real world.

AnharMiah
10-14-2006, 01:43 PM
You guys are right, I liked the comment
It's the result that counts in the real world
of course in the end thats what the end person(s) see's.

I also agree with the comment
Worry about being an artist when you aren't worried about deadlines and making money

Well I think sometimes, its better to have to "deligate" labourous work to computers, so that artist's can concentrate on doing work like say the main Character.

Hm, I guess you could always compensate the guilt by coming home from work and modelling something intense :thumbsup:

stalkeron
10-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Hm, I started my CG experience with Maya and had it in my head to create environments using only that. How wrong I was. Vue was a good experience for me and permitted me to express myself more easily sometimes(even though there are obvious limitations). But when creating new types of worlds -be they landscapes or surreal environments you may need it's ecosystem power. Vue6 promises a lot as well in terms of lighting. Anyhow, now i'm on the way of 'reuniting' vue and maya and also throwing in some other stuff...

and about all that 'being an artist' stuff... well, just concentrate on sending out the message and put in it all you have. that's all:)

fishfood
10-24-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm sorry, but this does make me laugh.

The difference between a pro and an amateur is two fold:

1. For a pro, time is money
2. A pro knows which tools to use to get the job done quickly!

The quality of your output is not dependent on whether you are a pro or not. Pro's do tend to be better at it because it is their job to be better at it, and it is probably their job because they are better at it - if you catch my drift.

BoBoZoBo
10-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Ditto Fishfood

and

3) A pro will always push the limits, even with an deasy program
4) Guilt dont make you money

But I know where the original poster is coming from.

cyphyr
10-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Vue was used extensively on Pirates of the Caribean ~ nuf said
cyphyr

That-JC
10-31-2006, 08:40 AM
A century ago, when photography was developed, the manual artists were all upset. They said stuff like, "Now anyone can push a button and make pictures - but they will never be art!"

Sure enough anyone can take photos and most of us do - but few of them are art. It's never the tools, it's always the tool user.

No matter how advanced the CG tools get (short of machines as consciousnes artists and citizens, i guess) some people will get art of of them and others will not be able to.

My 2 cents...

AnharMiah
10-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Thats an excellent point JC, I had'nt thought of it in that light (pardon the pun) !

I watched an excellent docu on TV about quntum Computers and how they can process things that no supercomputer can process now, basically how every atom can be used as a binary bit and so fourth and it got me thinking that with that kind of CPU power, we can see CGI like never before, we could have real time GI, casutics, rendering would be a thing of the past, I guess then it would move from being an technical art (which is what I think of 3d modelling as) to a visual art.

Absinthe-Graphics
11-01-2006, 12:20 PM
In my opinion the tools do make a difference. For sure itīs always the tool user who creates the artwork, but with better tools the possibilities for the user to produce high quality increase dramatically. The possibility N O T the necessity! By the way this is true not only for art but for any kind of production process from building airplanes to cooking! :hmm:

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2006, 12:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.