PDA

View Full Version : Does rhino have....?

EquiNOX
10-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Situation: I m modeling car tire with tread... total of surface count would be 650 total for just tire and tread.

Problem: With surface count of 650 It would slowdown viewport's rotation or moving around... The reason is because The mesh setting I have is...

-Maximum Angle = 0.0
-Maximum Aspect Ratio = 0.0
-Minimum Edge Length = 0.0
-Maximum Edge Length = 0.0
-Maximum Distance, Edge to Surface = 0.001
-Minimum Initial Grid Quads = 0.0

This would make smooth look surface instead of Jagged.

Question: Does Rhino have this type of tool making object "invisible" I beside HIDE those object... A invisible that makes object not to show in veiwport but defination of object still exisit. This would have save from slow viewport?

For example. 3ds max is known with issue on slow viewport... the large number of polycount, the slower viewport would get. But they have solution for it... if you go into the object properties and enable object as box it will appear as box in viewport, hiding hi-polycount object. But when render, the hi-poly count object would be visible in rendering. So does rhino have that.

I really hope they do.

Let me know

seagulls
10-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Im not sure If this is what you want, but put on a seperate layer and turn the layer off,then turn it back on when you want to render.

EquiNOX
10-12-2006, 10:45 PM
.... I could use Layer... turn off the layer visble to make object disappear in viewport, but it also will disappear when rendering..But I wanted to make object disappear in viewport, and visible when rendering (While object still enable disappear in viewport)?

seagulls
10-13-2006, 04:35 AM
I doubt it. I know lights can be hidden this way.

I tried looking in bonus >view >advanced display settings but couldnt see the option for this. There may be a script for this somewhere though. good luck.

Snecx
10-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Right click viewport and enable "Shade selected only". Does that help?

CLONEOPS
10-13-2006, 05:23 PM
For seriously large models i would set up a proxy/bounding box for a group of parts...

F1 +search for speed.

"Dynamic shade redraw
When you pan, zoom, or rotate a view, the scene is redrawn dynamically. With large models, the dynamic redraw can be very slow.
By default, to make sure the feedback is reasonably fast, Rhino cancels the redraw if necessary. Use these options to control the speed and responsiveness of the views.
Frames per second
The number of frames per second Rhino will attempt to redraw when zooming or rotating a view."

So.... if set at 100 frames per second and rhino cannot get at it..an interrupt will kick in and less total redrawing will happen...it will look like strobeing.
If set at 1 framer/per then rhino will think to achieve say ..all single increments of a 360/n degree rotation and will not attempt to compensate to speed up the rotation by skipping frames to match your mouse move.

EquiNOX
10-14-2006, 05:54 PM
@Snecx-- actually I was referring when wire display is enabled in the viewport. It become slow once I made so many surface. I.e. tire treads using array methods. It'd be worst if I enable shade viewport.. However I found solution....(see below)

@Cloneops
Your solution works... increasing redraw to 100 FPS really helped. But it would be nice if rhino have the tool that can get object disappear "turning surface into box" as replacement for complexing surface in the viewport mode only, and still exist when render. Because there are time when to many mesh comes in together it would makes confusing... "crisscrossing" eye. I know, I know I heard lot advices about using layer with color. But sometimes I get lazy.

About Bonding box... I never really understand what it was for.. I know it just would devolp box enclosed on surface. But what's the benefit? The help did not explain clear enough, it just explains how to use it. Hoping you could give me clear idea...

Snecx
10-14-2006, 06:40 PM
[...] Problem: With surface count of 650 It would slowdown viewport's rotation or moving around... The reason is because The mesh setting I have is...
[...] -Maximum Distance, Edge to Surface = 0.001 [...]

You said it was slow because of the mesh settings so I quickly jumped into conclusion that it was caused by shaded viewport. One reason why I made that conclusion is that mesh settings do not affect the viewport speed when you're in wireframe mode. Mesh only affect shaded mode unless if you are dealing with poly meshes instead of NURBS surfaces then mesh will be displayed in wireframe mode as well.

I believe what you want is "bounding box" viewport degradation but Rhino does not have adaptive degradation like 3dsmax. The BoundingBox command of Rhino is under Analyze menu which shows that it is just a way of analyzing the model.

As for turning complex objects into bounding boxes (adaptive degradation), it is a good feature but personally I wouldn't want that on Rhino. Perhaps the best solution for your problem would really be layers. You can show only the layers you are editing and then enable all layers for render. No messy hide/unhide.

Increasing redraw might be a solution for you but that is definitely not a solution for me because I can't use that to make my hardware go faster. :)

@CLONEOPS:
I am interested in this. How can we set proxy/bounding box for group of parts or any objects in Rhino? I couldn't find any info on this in Rhino 3, SR5.

EquiNOX
10-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Oh oops sorry for those wrong words I said leading you jumping at wrong conclusion. I guess too many stuffs on my mind get me to say it wrong.

I believe what you want is "bounding box" viewport degradation but Rhino does not have adaptive degradation like 3dsmax.

Yeah, something like that...but actually what I was looking for... in 3ds max, if you select object, click on properties, and checkmark "display object as box" on left panel it would display box whole time when not working or editing on object. Whlist Adaptive degradation only works when rotating viewport, not zooming.

Perhaps the best solution for your problem would really be layers. You can show only the layers you are editing and then enable all layers for render. No messy hide/unhide.
I agree... if that is the only choice in rhino I would use it. Actually I am lazy with it...also, the color is hard.... not so many bright color or color that show opposite to viewport background to make many layers.

Increasing redraw might be a solution for you but that is definitely not a solution for me because I can't use that to make my hardware go faster. :)

hmm.. recently I took a test with my 700mhz, 128mb memory, wireless dsl connection. In Rhino scene, I have 1000 spehere in array with setting of 100 FPS, behind rhino there are three firefoxes running... and whenever I browse internet it does fast. Maybe its something you have to configure the paging file settings. I have mine 1000 min and 2000 max.

@CLONEOPS:
I am interested in this. How can we set proxy/bounding box for group of parts or any objects in Rhino? I couldn't find any info on this in Rhino 3, SR5.

Yeah Cloneops.. I am interesting in this too.

Snecx
10-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Alright, I guess you just want the bounding box display.

I agree... if that is the only choice in rhino I would use it. Actually I am lazy with it...also, the color is hard.... not so many bright color or color that show opposite to viewport background to make many layers.

Not sure exactly what you mean but usually I have all my surface layers set to same black color. :D

Try get used to the layer system, I'm sure you're gonna love it. ;)

CLONEOPS
10-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Sorry guys having an interactive wire only bounding box/opengl is on the wishlist for rhino apparently...to fake it in wireframe only mode you can either use the analyze/bounding box to represent the "general area and position of your part and hide the original..or
extract a much better temporary representative object through the commands ./curve from object-ExtractWireframe/...again you would hide the original object... essentially this will perform the same as wireframe mode anyway.-methinks.
Really if you are running rhino with 128 meg ram it is the very low/lower end of the performance scale.:sad:
ps. once shaded render meshes are created they stay in mem.
'clearallmeshes" command will free up some resources and wipe the shaded render mesh info.

EquiNOX
10-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Not sure exactly what you mean but usually I have all my surface layers set to same black color.

Yeah, I use black wires... but color would be much easier for me....

CLONEOPS@

I also find... uncheck isocurve with 100fps make it much faster. So with isocurve checked, its what make viewport real slow.

Hopefully the next version of rhino would have bounding box...

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2006, 05:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.