PDA

View Full Version : Clover Studio to Be Dissolved

ParamountCell
10-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Clover Studio to Be Dissolved

Man this is such sad news, I really respect these guys.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capcom has decided to close down its subsidiary, Clover Studio, less than three years after its foundation, on July 1st, 2004. The studio was created as a hotbed of Capcom's talent, to focus on making original games such as Viewtiful Joe, Okami and God Hand. The harsh gaming industry hasn't welcomed their efforts too warmly, though, and Capcom feels this approach is inefficient -- hardly surprising when it's being compared to popular series such as Megaman, Resident Evil, Onimusha, Devil May Cry and Street Fighter. Accordingly, Clover Studio is being closed down at the end of March 2007. It hasn't been disclosed what will happen to the staff at the studio, but if Capcom doesn't want to hold on to them, they will surely find work elsewhere, thanks to their titles being critically acclaimed worldwide.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154381

RuinedMessiah
10-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Damnit... please don't let God Hand be their last game! C'mon Capcom, give them one last Hurrah!

g8ff
10-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Clover made some quality titles. Viewtiful Joe was awesome! One of my favorites. To bad...

Lyr
10-12-2006, 10:50 PM
That's really sad. I am really enjoying Okami right now. I can't believe that game didn't do better in Japan.

ParamountCell
10-12-2006, 11:29 PM
[UPDATE] Capcom supplied Next-Gen with the following "assumed Q&A" regarding the closure of Clover Studios.

Q: Can you explain briefly why Clover Studio has been decided to be dissolved?

A: Clover Studio (CS) was established in July 2004 by Capcom in order to create new types of titles. Then, the titles such as Viewtiful Joe, Okami and God Hand were produced. At the same time, R&D at Capcom also produced some new types of titles such as Dead Rising and Lost Planet and they were regarded highly at game shows such as E3. Reviewing the existing R&D organization, we have reached the conclusion that we should be centralizing all the resources rather than running two companies. Therefore, disbandment of CS was decided.

Q: Weíve heard that the famous creators such as [Resident Evil creator] Mr. [Shinji] Mikami, [Okami producer] Mr. [Atsushi] Inaba and [Devil May Cry director] Mr. [Hideki] Kamiya have quit, is this true? Why didnít they come back to Capcom?

A: Mr. Mikami had already left Capcom in November 2005 but signed on a separate contract with us. Mr. Inaba and Mr. Kamiya have also left Capcom in June and July of this year respectively. Naturally, we had hoped that Mr. Inaba and Mr. Kamiya to come back to us, however, both of them told us that they wanted a new challenge at a new environment. As far as Capcomís concerned, now all the resources should be used more effectively and more efficiently since they are centralized.

Q: Apparently, CS had 64 staff at the setup of the company, what happened to those people?

A: Actually, only 15 staff [members were] still left in the company at the time of 12th October. They will be transferred to R&D at Capcom although we havenít negotiated with them individually yet. However, we will have to examine what sort of organization is required for creating more new titles first.

Q: Will copyright of the titles that were produced by CS be transferred to Capcom?

A: Yes, all copyrights of the CS titles will be transferred back to Capcom as a process of disbandment of the company.

Q: Can you tell us more about Mr. Inaba and Mr. Kamiya? Weíve heard that they are setting up a new company.

A: Since they are not our employees any longer, we canít answer this question.

Q: Donít you think of Mr. Mikamiís departure as a huge loss? Whoís going to produce Resident Evil series from now on?

A: We have a signed contract with Mr. Mikami separately. In any case, we have many creators that have worked on Resident Evil series titles and have enough knowledge of the series. Mr. Mikami will also work in our R&D. By the way, Mr. Takeuchi is producing Resident Evil 5 (heís worked on the original Resident Evil).

Mic_Ma
10-13-2006, 02:24 AM
Oh that's sad. Ah, but I'm sure it won't have too big an effect on games development here in the long run. Just a bit of staff reshuffling, internal and external. Hm.

P_T
10-13-2006, 05:04 PM
I guess that's why big developers don't invest in innovative games.

If only Okami was a Wii title, it would probably be more successful.

Neil
10-13-2006, 05:32 PM
[UPDATE]In any case, we have many creators that have worked on Resident Evil series titles and have enough knowledge of the series.

Just because you have experience doesn't mean that it directly translates over to making a great game. There is a reason why there are a handful of well known names in the industry who continue to impress us.

PhilOsirus
10-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Okami has recieved great reviews and is a really fun game, it's also much longer than I thought it would be. It sold only 87,000 copies so far, we'll see if sales pick up by next week. Never know.

heavyness
10-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Okami is the next Ico. great game no ones know about. and since there is not guns, girls, and or a soundtrack including Fall Out Boys, Mike Jones, and or who ever the hell else, the mainsteam gamers won't touch it.

i hope the key members of Clover stay together making games one way or another.

RuinedMessiah
10-13-2006, 08:53 PM
I half expect the next Treasure to form because of this. If anyone remembers, Treasure was founded by some of Konami's best creators because they were tired of being stuck on sequelitis and wanted to bring gaming back to it's roots. Since then, Treasure has become an underground phenominon. Seriously, what hardcore gamer doesn't know about Ikaruga, Bangai-O, Mischief Makers, Radiant Silvergun, Gunstar Heroes, and Guardian Heroes?

ambient-whisper
10-14-2006, 04:31 AM
After finishing okami, it has become one of my favorite games that ive ever played. At the beginning it was an ok experience at best, but by the end, i just couldnt stop playing, because it has gotten soo good. As long as the guys from clover create another badass game, im happy. I would hate to see such talent go to waste.

ParamountCell
10-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Clovers final interview before the big news.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154407

CGTalk Moderation
10-14-2006, 09:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.