PDA

View Full Version : Laser TV: here comes the plasma killer (Sydney Morning Herald)

UrbanFuturistic
10-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Soon-to-be-listed Australian company Arasor International and its US partner Novalux yesterday unveiled what they claimed to be the world's first laser television in Sydney, with a pitch that it will be half the price, twice as good, and use a quarter of the electricity of conventional plasma and LCD TVs.(more (http://www.smh.com.au/news/home-theatre/laser-tv-here-comes-the-plasma-killer/2006/10/11/1160246198806.html))

This should be interesting to keep an eye on.

danshewan
10-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Interesting - I'd still rather have one of these, though.

http://www.business-sites.philips.com/3dsolutions/about/Index.html

There's a very real chance they'll be crap, though. Hell, I don't even own a TV right now, so thinking about it, until they make better shows I guess I'll just keep working and reading, rather than watching TV.

aaraaf
10-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Let's see how it goes with the blue diodes... they're not completely friendly.

I remember reading years ago in some Cinematography magazine how a couple of noted camera guys were being asked their opinion on it and they absolutely loved it... they said it was the only comparable projection source to film they'd ever seen.

This was right before DLPs though...

Looking forward to more info on these and to see one in person. It's been a long while since I've seen video on laser, but even the earlier stuff I saw was very promising.

Szos
10-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Interesting... but that is one hell of a sales pitch to throw out there:

it will be half the price, twice as good, and use a quarter of the electricity of conventional plasma and LCD TVs.

Even if this new technology is just one of those, that would be very cool, but saying that this technology is all of those things sounds like a lot of hot air... but here's hoping it's true.

Dennik
10-12-2006, 06:22 PM
They still have to beat the quality of a good CRT HDTV. I must be one of the few that consider all new technologies, a step backwards.

kgaulin
10-12-2006, 07:26 PM
They still have to beat the quality of a good CRT HDTV. I must be one of the few that consider all new technologies, a step backwards.

I agree Dennik, the only thing I hate about those sets though is their weight.

RuinedMessiah
10-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Actually, when I was shopping for a TV, I kept getting strange looks because I kept insisting on an HDTV CRT. "LCD's get much better picture, sir." Yeah they don't. I may look like just some sort of oddballish ancient technology clinger to the Best Buy staff, but these are the same jackasses that told me 360 controllers recharge themselves and Zelda is coming to PS3 sometime in 2007.

Szos
10-12-2006, 11:37 PM
I completely agree with you, and I always get a weird reaction when I tell them I prefer a CRT to an LCD/Plasma.
The problem with CRTs isn't the quality, but the scalability and weight - anything above ~21" becomes very impractical for a desktop monitor, and the weight becomes way too much.

pgp_protector
10-13-2006, 12:18 AM
I completely agree with you, and I always get a weird reaction when I tell them I prefer a CRT to an LCD/Plasma.
The problem with CRTs isn't the quality, but the scalability and weight - anything above ~21" becomes very impractical for a desktop monitor, and the weight becomes way too much.

And dont forget power usage

EnlightenedPixel
10-13-2006, 01:54 AM
Yeah they don't. I may look like just some sort of oddballish ancient technology clinger to the Best Buy staff, but these are the same jackasses that told me 360 controllers recharge themselves and Zelda is coming to PS3 sometime in 2007.
Hahahahha, oh god, Anything to sell a customer an expensive piece of equipment right?
CRT's so far still give off the best color, but if youre spending anywhere around say $3500, I would suggest HP's HDTV DLP. Great color, 65 or 68 inches wide and very light. Also, lots of freakin outlet plugs, and a spot to integrate the cable card directly into it if so desired.

spikkel
10-13-2006, 07:29 AM
People, are you kidding me? A freakin' laser TV!
What can be more awesome than that? (except maybe a nuke powered laser TV, which would be kinda cooler, although a little less practical..)

"Hey buddy, check out my new freakin' Laser TV!! Huh, it kicks the crap out of your big ass CRT HDTV. 'cause its got a laser. Its, like, more hardcore!"

Ok, I snapped out of it. :D

What happend to those paper thin, low powered, inexpensive LED TVs though? I've been waiting years for those. :shrug:

Dennik
10-13-2006, 01:22 PM
People, are you kidding me? A freakin' laser TV!
What can be more awesome than that? (except maybe a nuke powered laser TV, which would be kinda cooler, although a little less practical..)

"Hey buddy, check out my new freakin' Laser TV!! Huh, it kicks the crap out of your big ass CRT HDTV. 'cause its got a laser. Its, like, more hardcore!"

Ok, I snapped out of it. :D

What happend to those paper thin, low powered, inexpensive LED TVs though? I've been waiting years for those. :shrug:

I realy hope they turn that e-paper into a colorful TV one day. It would be awesome to watch tv on e-ink like its a moving printed picture. I realy don't care about laser TVs, sounds like more radiation going into my eyes and brain.

UrbanFuturistic
10-13-2006, 02:22 PM
I realy don't care about laser TVs, sounds like more radiation going into my eyes and brain.That would be the EM radiation we call light :p

spikkel
10-13-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't think its possible for me to get more "screen" radiation than I already am. I spend more time staring at screens than I do walking and standing combined (Yeah I know, gotta get out more).

BillB
10-15-2006, 02:18 AM
I just watched a video on my laptop of a news report about this thing, and they had a shot in the BG with the laser TV next to a plasma - and no question, the colour was way better than anything else out there!

But seriously, there's no real reason someone clever couldn't come up with something that's revolutionary - current displays of all types have many drawbacks, and are pretty complex for what is essentially a very simple concept.

CGTalk Moderation
10-15-2006, 02:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.