PDA

View Full Version : My first Animation's Reel

opendesigner
10-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Hi all!

Finally, after my first 13th months as "animator" in AM I'm starting the short classes and I completed my first Animation's reel.

All the characters were provided by AM and i just personalized them.

The reel also include three shot done for my first job as animator,for an italian music videoclip by Piero Pelý.

http://www.massimorusso.net/temp/mrreel_thumb.jpg

Here we go with the link :D

http://www.massimorusso.net/temp/MR_Reel_2006_Sm.mov

Sorry for the small size but I'm still finishing to render some shot bigger.
I really hope you will enjoy watching it.... and obviously comments are wellcome.

MR.Max

P.S. I'm starting to look for a job (obviously as Junor animator)

Ramteen
10-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Oh my god , it seems to be such e great showreel . and by the way I`m a fan of animation mentor . but unforunatly file it self has a problem . be cuz I`ve downloaded the file twice , but it still is not working :( . I think you gotta fix this problem ;) . com on man :D:D

wish the best :thumbsup:

opendesigner
10-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks Ramtin!

mmm sounds strange.... I'm using h.264 codec with sound compressed in AAC. (it's 6MB)
Maybe you need some newtest Quicktime version.

If you still have the problem just tell me.

If not I will do another version. :D

Thanks again.

MR.Max

AlfonSici
10-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Hey Max! work fine here , Great reel man! :)

glennyP
10-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Who doesnt love Animation Mentor. Nice work on the reel. Might I suggest adding some music through it though. It's a small part of the reel, however it can make the difference between an employer watching the entire thing or turning it off sooner.

Have a good one

-Glen

Sherif.Nagib
10-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Sweet!
I've played the rasta rocket one a dozen times till now, love the acting on the guy in yellow shirt.

what about the last bit ? Did you have to do the whole job with the tracking as well , or just the animation ?

kick-a$$ work man, You should'n worry about landing a good job :thumbsup:

opendesigner
10-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Ciao "Alfio"
eheheh thanks!! See you in the campus at am!!

Hi "glennyP"
Super thanks for the suggestion. I tought about that but I had to finish the reel fast and I didn't found a good music for it. So I tought that without music is better then with a bad music. But as soon as I can I will provide it :D

Hi "Sherif.Nagib"
eheh I'm glad you liked the rasta rocket one so much!! :D
For the last shot I was in chargo of doing only animation but I know that tracking was really a pain especially for some shot!!
Thanks for the kind word I'm crossing fingers and hoping for a good work.

Thanks to all again!!

agreenster
10-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Hey Mossimo

The first piece on your reel is very very strong...nice job (one teeny hitch on "see you" though)

Good luck with the search

Kimotion
10-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Nice reel Massimo!

Your first piece is definately the strongest, but there is one hitch in the animation as the man walks offscreen right. As screen right arms moves forward, there is a slight hitch, and it can also be seen in his body.

Your second piece isn't as strong as your first, and there's nothing new here that the first one didn't show. If I were to tell you to take out a piece, then the second piece would be it.

The piece with the weight scale has even phrasing to me. It looks a bit pose to pose, like he's going through the motions. The antic and the idea is great. So is the movement. But the timing between those moves/poses can use some more contrast.

Everything else looks solid.

Good luck!

harmonic01
10-13-2006, 03:07 AM
Sweet reel, Massimo. :thumbsup: I enjoyed your work since I saw you in class 1. :buttrock:

blz
10-13-2006, 03:26 AM
very good reel indeed.
good luck!

GoldenCamel
10-13-2006, 09:23 AM
This is a problem I see with lots of reel, When you study animation you get better overtime, or at least that's how it should be, so the work you did with Ballie at the start of the course are weaker than what you did with Bishop, but when you put both on your reel, to make it longer and show all the cool shots you did, your reel quality declines. You'll have more chances to get a job if you only leave your acting shot in there than when you include everything you did.

Also, it might be good to develop just a little bit of art sense, variety and contrast are what keeps me watching your reel, okay, so you like the color red, but it's good to have some variety in your characters, make them different but still part of the same world. Otherwise it gets boring.

opendesigner
10-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks to all!!

Hey Peter how are you?? how is it going the new journey at Blur???
Say ciao to Dave Vallone from me :D !!!

Thanks "Kimotion" for the suggestions. I will take in consideration about taking out the second piece....even if I think there is a difference from the first one: acting choices.

Thanks "GoldenCamel". I agree about what u are spaking about. But u also have to keep in mind that this is a demoreel from an animation student. And about originality and red color I can agree but, obviously, those are the AM characters and all the AM students has the same. So I just did them red cos', obviously, I like the red and to distinguish a bit from others.
It's just like my AM style :D

Super thanks again for suggestions. I will repair the hitch as soon as possible even if i think it's really really subtle.

See you around.
MR.Max

king21
10-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Hej MAx superb reel. I loved it from the beginning.

And BTW thank u to show me that even if u dont see the person in live u can stilll be great friends.

Respect!
Jure

CGTalk Moderation
10-13-2006, 01:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.