PDA

View Full Version : Auto generated .mel ducumentation - Advise wanted!

Nenox
10-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi.

I'm looking into generating automatic documentation from .mel files (And possibly PHP).
Anybody has some ideas or tips for this? Be avare that this is totaly new turf to me.

Idealy it would extract some non specific data (Meaning not specified for documentation purposes) based on templates and also user specified ones(As in, these lines are specificaly designed for documentation use). Notes on using the script/tool etc. It would also be great to be able to generate different documentations for different classes of documentation users. Maybe in a wiki. Like one for coders, one for modelers one for animators and so on.

All in all very loose thoughts, but any input would be greately appriaceted!

Thanks,
Sune.

Robert Bateman
10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
In a word, doxygen..... Just tell it to parse *.mel

CaptainSam
10-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Another option might be phpDocumentor http://www.phpdoc.org/ PHP has a fairly similar structure to Mel, with $ () {} and so on, so it might work, and it might not

A guy I worked with long timne ago knocked together a Mel documentation tool in a few days, not sure if it was based on phpDocumentor, but it did use the same syntax rules, /* */ around comments @param to specify input arguments and so on. Its proprietary stuff, unfortunately

Of course someting really cool would be a PHP documentor tool that would output a html site (with frames, for gods sake, hitting the back button when going through a lot of procs is no fun when you've documented 40 000 lines of code) that would just spit out any comments in front of a procedure and straight after (since they'll usually be the ones explaining what the proc does), and maybe keep track global variables and incoming and outgoing calls to that procedure.

I wrote a mel script years ago that actually built nodes for every proc in my scripts and connected them to eachother, so I could see which proc was calling which just by looking at them in the hyperGraph. Would be nice to have that in written form though.

Imagine having a web site that documents every script on HighEnd3d, all the bonusTools scripts and every script that ships with Maya (20 megabytes of code!)

CGTalk Moderation
10-17-2006, 06:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.