PDA

View Full Version : Triangle Vs. Quad

vikasumit
10-12-2006, 02:52 AM
hi..

Someone told me that in your face model triangle is not good and u should not create triangle in face.
I want to know is that true ? if yes then why?

same thing also applicable for game also?

and if yes can u have that type of tutorial, then plz share with me..

Thanks

gringer
10-12-2006, 03:19 AM
Hi there,

If you are modeling for a game, it generally won't matter if you use QUADS or TRIS as the model will be converted to triangles upon import with most 3D game engines.

As for a face, I guess using QUADS is cleaner, easier to see and change topology? I'm not entirely sure. It could also be because of morph targets in facial animation?

Perhaps someone else could jump in here.

Cheers :D

MacManiax
10-12-2006, 04:13 AM
i feel sorry for triangles, so misunderstood. For the most part yes avoid modelling triangles into your mesh. But if you have to stick one in there its not the end of the world, i have to use triangles all the time for certain creases in clothes and what not. It is bad to have triangles and 5 sided polygons in deformation areas and can look bad when animated. Yes most games convert polys to triangles at render time, also true for most other renderers. Just display render tessellation on any nurbs object and youll see what i mean, i think polys get converted also but i may be tired and confused. But this doesnt mean to model everything in triangles, or half triangles and half quads is ok since it all gets turned into triangles anyway. Just avoid em when you can and put them im low key ares when you have to. Its also easy to notice triangles and n-gons easier when you texture them becasue they can look funny. But a triangle looks better than a 5 sided polygon when textured.

MasonDoran
10-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Triangles are a serious problem and should be avoided whenever possible when modelling for hi res models that intend to be smoothed/displaced before rendering. The reason is that triangles will create pinching or pimple like bumps on the model when subdivided. Also, not all smoothing algorythms will respect triangles. Displacement modellers like Zbrush (and others) do not like triangles.

With games, it doesnt matter of course. But they also prefer quads when possible because it creates for more efficient triangulation of the mesh(less vertices).

vikasumit
10-13-2006, 04:02 PM
ok..

thanks,

due u know any good quad face tutorial...

thanks

gringer
10-14-2006, 01:39 AM
Hey,

Check these ones out :

http://www.arildwiro.com/

Cheers :D

vikasumit
10-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks man

good tutorial..

CGTalk Moderation
10-14-2006, 03:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.