PDA

View Full Version : Animating a Painting

timur04
10-12-2006, 02:10 AM
This is not really an XSI question but since I’ll be using XSI for the 3d aspect of this project I thought I’d ask you guys here. I need to animate characters just like in this painting. I will be doing layers of animated textures for the body, but cant figure out how I can get the “dry brushed” looking edges.

I experimented running some renders through some Photoshop filers but I haven’t been able to replicate that look. Has anyone created this look before? I also have After Effects at my disposal.

http://www.esf.ch/burland/img/miroir/miroirS06.jpg

terencemace
10-12-2006, 02:31 AM
Perhaps you could make a black and white pass of the paintings to drive the transparency channel, and feather the edge so it falls off, like the dry brush. You could have the animal figures, characters, as layers over the background image.

mattmos
10-12-2006, 09:37 AM
I'd say its an after effects job - render out an alpha pass (white body, black surround) and use that as a mask - blur it and add grain to get the desired edge quality - creating painterly edges is more pain than its worth in 3d alone, and you can experiment more in post.

janimatic
10-12-2006, 02:44 PM
for the "dry brush looking edges" i would use a 2d displacement controled by another animated texture. this will provide a lot more control, and it's a huge advantage for animation.
(Ex: if you blur it it will lok liquid, if you sharpen it it will look likestone or sand etc...)
I would do it in shake (IDisplace) but you can do it in after effects too (i think they call it "dispersion", i wonder why it's not just called displacement as it should...)
Don't forge in after effects if you need to pre-flter the control image you should make a precomposition or the filters onthe control image will be ignored in the dispersion filter

Maybe add a bit of that control image in mult transfert mode as well

mocaw
10-12-2006, 06:17 PM
for the "dry brush looking edges" i would use a 2d displacement controled by another animated texture. this will provide a lot more control, and it's a huge advantage for animation.
(Ex: if you blur it it will lok liquid, if you sharpen it it will look likestone or sand etc...)
I would do it in shake (IDisplace) but you can do it in after effects too (i think they call it "dispersion", i wonder why it's not just called displacement as it should...)
Don't forge in after effects if you need to pre-flter the control image you should make a precomposition or the filters onthe control image will be ignored in the dispersion filter

Maybe add a bit of that control image in mult transfert mode as well

I was going to suggest this too, but I was wondering if using some sort of choke or expand command on a mask node/layer might also add some control to the edge while following it inward or outward fairly well...

terencemace
10-12-2006, 07:36 PM
In After Effects it's called Displacement Map, and yes, you need to place a pre-comped displacement layer into your animation comp.

janimatic
10-12-2006, 07:39 PM
ah yes i guess i was using the silly french verison last time ...

dwigfor
10-12-2006, 08:33 PM
In AE6.5, Effect/Stylize/RoughenEdges might help out as well.

timur04
10-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks for your help guys! I'm closer to getting the look I wanted.

mocaw
10-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks for your help guys! I'm closer to getting the look I wanted.

If you could post some examples when you're finished that would be great.

CGTalk Moderation
10-12-2006, 09:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.