PDA

View Full Version : custom XSI button??

John-Bellamy
10-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Hi everyone,

I've recently built a biped rig for a simple cartoon character and i've created a custom toolbar with no buttons on it so far. I'm trying to find a way to add a button that when clicked on will select all my control objects for the rig, one to key all and key selected and finally one to rest the pose of the rig. any ideas?

thanks

p.s. i have read the xsi help files but cudnt work out how to do what i want, only to add generic buttons, thx

oglu
10-11-2006, 07:50 PM
check out the synoptic view...

John-Bellamy
10-11-2006, 08:09 PM
there is no synoptic view? do i have to create that first?

mocaw
10-11-2006, 09:30 PM
there is no synoptic view? do i have to create that first?

You build them, or they come with someone elses rig. They use HTML, and images etc. to link your buttons or parts of an image with the object etc.

Do a search for synoptic view in the help- there are also some included with the rigs in XSI.

You might even be able to copy and hack those and re-direct it towards your own.

yog
10-11-2006, 09:33 PM
The included tutorial documentation (both electronic and hardcopy), has a very good tutorial on creating synoptic views, including the functions you are after.

Sbowling
10-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Hi everyone,

I've recently built a biped rig for a simple cartoon character and I've created a custom toolbar with no buttons on it so far. I'm trying to find a way to add a button that when clicked on will select all my control objects for the rig, one to key all and key selected and finally one to rest the pose of the rig. any ideas?

Simplest way to do this is to open the script editor and clear everything out of it. Now, select what you want to select and it will show up in the script editor. After that, copy the code from the top portion of the script editor to the bottom part of the script editor. Now, select the code from the bottom part of the script editor and drag it into the toolbar. Give it a name when prompted and it will create your button for you. Now deselect everything in the scene and click the button. It should now select everything you selected in the first time. This looks like a lot of work, but it only takes seconds and is real easy to edit and there's no html stuff to deal with.

mocaw
10-12-2006, 03:50 AM
Simplest way to do this is to open the script editor and clear everything out of it. Now, select what you want to select and it will show up in the script editor. After that, copy the code from the top portion of the script editor to the bottom part of the script editor. Now, select the code from the bottom part of the script editor and drag it into the toolbar. Give it a name when prompted and it will create your button for you. Now deselect everything in the scene and click the button. It should now select everything you selected in the first time. This looks like a lot of work, but it only takes seconds and is real easy to edit and there's no html stuff to deal with.

Thanks for the tip! I was doing that with some scripts but I don't know why I didn't think to do it with anything else...one in the same in a way I guess! Thanks.

Sbowling
10-12-2006, 05:18 AM
I started doing things this way mainly because I never really took the time to learn how to create a synoptic view and this was just easier. On top of that, I just don't need all the features of the synoptic view. I set things up so that selecting the control for the hands and feet (or anything else) is easy by putting anything in that shouldn't be selected in a layer that has selectability turned off. I also tend to change my mind on exactly what I need done and setting up buttons like this is much easier than reediting or creating a new synoptic view. The only down side I see is that these scripts don't travel with the project, so I need to make sure I save my scripts into the project folder so I have them if I bring the project home to work on.

CGTalk Moderation
10-12-2006, 05:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.