PDA

View Full Version : Zombies!

Tim Deneau
10-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Hello everyone, I'm doing some artwork for a zombie game and looking for some honest critiques. This is a multiplayer game using the Source engine.

I'm working simultaneously on maps and models, so I'll probably be juggling around content often. This is a test I did skinning a character from HL2.

Pictures

Rotten Head (http://timdeneau.com/rottenhead.jpg)

BenEoff
10-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Aren't these already models in the game? If not, good job, but not very zombie like. If so, then I'm not sure what you are expecting to hear. It looks like you painted some red around the refugee's mouth and jaw. And if that is all you did I don't really know how you can consider it artwork... or expect anyone to look at it objectively. Art is creation right?

Tim Deneau
10-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Um okay, it's just a skin, like I stated.

Wow this place has gone downhill since I last visited.

BenEoff
10-11-2006, 07:51 PM
I don't mean to come off rude, I apologize. However you asked for honest critiques, don't ask if you can't detach yourself from the work. I clearly stated a question and ran through the scenarios of both possible answers. Again, if this taking a skin from HL2 and adding some blood to it, then see previous post.
If this is a completely redone skin, then I applaud you, it looks fantastic, but it still doesn't look like a zombie. There are plenty of good references out there for decaying flesh if you can stomach it, if not, rent some zombie flix. Right now there is just too much life in the skin tones.

aesir
10-11-2006, 08:44 PM
I think what he was asking was whether or not you skinned that entire character, or whether you were just responsible for adding some of the red around the mouth. its generally considered impolite to say that you skinned a character, when in fact you only adjusted the skin a little. If that is not the case, then great work on the skin :)

TychoCelchuuu
10-11-2006, 08:46 PM
I don't see how you'd get blood down on the very bottom parts of your neck, even if you're really feasting on the stuff. I might be wrong though; I don't do a lot of cannibalism.

CyanideCotdPnuts
10-11-2006, 10:27 PM
I have to agree that this isn't very good, to be honest. If you're going for a zombie, the skin needs to be more pallid greyish-yellowish. Also, you would probably see veins near the surface of the face, was well as bruising from being attacked and miscolored patches in the skin. The victim would have also sustained cuts on the face or body during the attack, and most noticeably would have a huge chunk out of their neck. The blood running down the face is black, which is not the case even when coagulated. You need to get it more red, maybe a dark crimson, aka brownish-maroonish. If you need refs of dead bodies, orgish.com has alot of...pictures. But overall you need to work on this, because right now his faces looks more like wood than flesh.

And what game is this for anyway? I am doing work for NMRiH (www.nomoreroominhell.com) so I could give you a few pointers.

killarai
10-11-2006, 11:42 PM
I don't see how you'd get blood down on the very bottom parts of your neck, even if you're really feasting on the stuff. I might be wrong though; I don't do a lot of cannibalism.

I think it all depends on the origin of the Zombie, depending on how the Zombie was created, etc.. Is what you might visualize..

For the blood going all the way down the neck, I would think that either the Zombie had some messed up/rotten organs and upchucked, and a lot of dribble... Or she's a very messy eater, and likes to dribble.

I would suspect upchuck, since the blood is so dark.

Tim Deneau
10-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Well sorry for the confusion, I thought it would be obvious which part was edited. I was just asking for critiques, which I appreciate, not pompous remarks.

Yeah, I think the blood is a bit much and I'll have to rework it. I should find some footage of animals eating, don't they usually bury their whole face in the carcass? To me the color is more personal style, like in the old zombie films they were just powdered green. I'm basically just adding makeup to pre-existing people, so that's kind of the approach I'm taking.

Thanks for the comments, I know it isn't much to look at right now.

El_Pube
10-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Tim I think you need more shadows on the face of the zombie, I mean around the eyes or cheeks. Also you can try to change the white part of the eyes adding more yellow or red. I like the blood so dark.

CGTalk Moderation
10-13-2006, 03:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.