PDA

View Full Version : MrBiscuits WiP - Crits Welcome

mrbiscuit
10-11-2006, 01:30 PM
WildCat (Pixie-bob) WiP

I'm still really new to Digital Painting, Had my tablet just over two months now. I have been working to build up my skill, and understanding of the medium. This is my latest work. I have had some feed back on the original concept, and tried to put this into practice. The original is very glazed, and flat. So I have tried to add depth, and detail. This is where I am at now with the image. Any feed back on how I can improve technicaly would be most welcome, as I really think that comments from more expirenced artists is important for me now to move forward with my work in general. Thanks.

http://www.lightboxmagic.com/images/art/wildcat_wip002.jpg

Colbey
10-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Wow, looks really nice dude, be interesting to see how you progress this. I think you need to have a look at the nose it looks a little bit flat and the actual nostril looks smudged.

are you thinking of putting a background in?

mrbiscuit
10-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the comments colbey. I agree about the nose, I am going to work on that. About the background, I would like to develop one yes, I am not 100% what may work best, I need to play around with a colour pallette that will set off the colour of the cat.

slickgreekgeo
10-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Looking good, but a bit flat; Try adding more contrast, and make the edges less sharp. Overall, this is good work (I'm a sucker for details) :)

mrbiscuit
10-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback SlickGreekGeo, I have started to put some of your feedback into action. In the early stages the Image infact had a lot more contrast, but it got lost in the reworking of the image. I did some more work last night. I have tried to add a little more contrast, and started to take away some of the hard edges. I have also addressed the nose, and started to work on the eyes more. Finally I have blocked out the direction of the body fur, next I can start to add detail.

http://www.lightboxmagic.com/images/art/wildcat_wip003.jpg

zng-Y
10-14-2006, 05:27 PM
I think this update is a bit too chaotic. A bit too much of the dark.
Nice painting tho, maybe a white reflection on the (wet)nose would bring the piece more to live.

mrbiscuit
10-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Hey Zng, thanks for the feedback. When you talk about the 'dark' where abouts on the image to you mean? The face, the body?

Cris-Palomino
10-14-2006, 08:54 PM
I always tell people to find references for anything in doubt. Sometimes when I do a painting, I can have 5 or more ref images...one that shows a foot the way I want, or the underarm...or the lighting...whatever you need to look at to get it right.

Here are some tabby noses.
http://www.pbase.com/calanan/image/819927
http://www.eastmidlands.info/skegness/stock/tabby.jpg

Take your time and apply the same soft strokes you did on the face to the body. I actually like the way the body was going before. I have a tabby...love him even if he is a monster.

This is a cute little guy.

Cris

mrbiscuit
10-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback and ref photos Cris. For me with the body hair, it's kind of gone too puffy. I am going to try flattening out the hair a bit more around the chest. That first referance picture is going to pretty helpful, I also thought the cat looked pretty mean lol, but from that I should be able to improve the nose no end. I still need to take a picture of one of our cats eyes... If I can get them to stay still for more than 1 min! :)

The image overall is more like a working expirement for me, learning new things as I go a long, the feedback I have been given has proved so helpful in my learning process. So thanks to everyone so far who has provided feedback! :love:

I'll aim to post an update tomorrow.

mrbiscuit
10-15-2006, 07:21 PM
Here is my next update as promised, not a massive update I will admit, but one non the less. Been busy getting ready for an exam tomorrow so I wont get much of a chance to continue now untill Tuesday. I have worked on the nose, based on the images provied by Cris (thanks very much!). I have also work on the jaw, and started to add more details to the body, although I have a long way to go on the body lol :)

http://www.lightboxmagic.com/images/art/wildcat_wip004.jpg

FRENZIEDmind
01-01-2007, 01:08 AM
Very nice looking WIP kitty. Is that your cat? What sort of photo reference are you using (your own)?

crit: is the nose/mouth properly aligned with the eyes? It looks like it needs to be slightly adjusted about 1-degree counter-clockwise in relation to the horizontal eye-plane. That's why I'm wondering what kind of photo reference you're using.

Keep up the good work!!!

mrbiscuit
01-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the crit Frenzied, It's not actually my own cat, but it lives in the house. It's actually a Pixie-Bob (half Bobcat, half barn cat). I used a photo I took for reference, and kind of worked away at it. I am still pretty new to digital painting as you can see, and this work has come a long way from when I started working on this, I will post up my original first version for a laugh. I have tried to then just take onboard feedback and try to improve on my understand and skills.

Thanks for talking about the nose and mouth, I have not been able to work on this for a good lot of weeks now, and coming back to it and looking at with your crit in mind does show it up to be iffy, So I will aim to correct that. Also there is still a long way to go on finishing the her coat.

I should be able to get back to this pretty soon now, so I will post up an update asap.

mrbiscuit
01-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Hello all,

So really I have not posted much, and I'm still to as yet finish the cat :shrug:I have been working on some other vector type stuff, which I don't know if it really fits the bill here? Anyway I sat down and started having my first stab at painting a female face. There is still a lot to do, but I felt I had reached a point that really I wanted to try and get some feedback and advice now on how I can make technical improvments on my painting. I've really now finished refining my blocking colours and so now I'm going to start to blend and refine the whole thing a little.

Her left eye seems too small to me, I spent time late last night playing with it, as it was really too big, I think I've then edited it down too much thought now.

http://www.lightboxmagic.com/images/art/helen_007.jpg

vrempire
01-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi MrBiscuit,
well, I love the cat more than the female face.
your kitty is nearly perfect while your female face need a little more polishing.
I think the ear is too small for the face. Do you refer to any photograph while working on it?
Good luck anyway and hope to see more.
:)

mrbiscuit
01-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the reply vrempire. Yeah the cat is a lot more polished than the face, but that is really as I spent a lot more time on it, and only with the help and feedback from the community have I been able to get to that stage. Actually here (http://www.lightboxmagic.com/images/art/sascatoon0001.jpg) is the original version of the cat before I got feedback and made heavy changes, it's pretty sucky. While I understand my female face is not going to win any awards :) really its about having ago, putting it out here to obtain the imput to help me understand and improve. I'm hoping with that feedback this new image maybe able to become something with a tad more polish.

Anyway I spent some more time playing about with this new little project:

http://www.lightboxmagic.com/images/art/helen_08.jpg

Soki
01-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Hey there!

Love the kitty! The eyes really stand out and look very realistic. My only crit is that perhaps make the background color more dynamic (i.e. adding a chiaruscuro effect on it ... light on the cat's dark side, dark on the cat's light side). I think it might get your cat to stand out more ... so far he tends to blend into the background a bit because of the similar color.

As for the woman's face, I was enjoying the first version over the second one, probably because of the dynamic brush strokes. But it's a good beginning ... I suggest more highlights and a more varied color palette (greens, violets, turquoise, etc.) Just faint highlights of those colors sometimes gives more realistic skin tones.

(I know all these techniques and have difficulty applying it to my own style! lol) So, great work so far :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2007, 12:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.