PDA

View Full Version : Special upgrade price to Cinema 4D?

marcopio
02-03-2003, 09:57 PM
I have emailed Maxon for Cinema 4D special pricing from A:M users.

I let them know that a bunch of us were looking for a new program, but they have not emaild back.

Has anyone received any special pricing for Cinema 4D. It looks like a pretty good program from the demo.

runejw
02-03-2003, 10:38 PM
The best commercial pricing I have seen is:

http://www.sharbor.com/catalog/030.html
(The competitive upgrade price of $1195 however is from Adobe products: Photoshop, after Effects or Illustrator)

Make a note of the LW pricing also which is quite good. ($999)
(Note also that Lightwave has a US-only "secret" price:
http://www.newtek.com/buynow/software/disco.html - kind of discriminating to overseas customers...)

As for Maxon sales, they often refer you to the local dealer. Not a very good option as the local dealer usually costs a bundle more without providing any added value... The last local dealer I contacted didn't even know they sold the product until they investigated...

So another option is to look at ebay and maybe get lucky...
Be sure to check that license transfer is included in whatever you buy though (and that it is the full license and not the student license).

Cheers,
Rune

pabitel
02-03-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by runejw
The best commercial pricing I have seen is:

[Make a note of the LW pricing also which is quite good. ($999)
(Note also that Lightwave has a US-only "secret" price:
http://www.newtek.com/buynow/software/disco.html - kind of discriminating to overseas customers...)

Wow. Where did you find this?

Man, you're really gonna piss off the NewTek secret police. Right on!

Hookflash
02-04-2003, 04:22 AM
The competitive upgrade for Cinema 4D XL 8 is $1295, but A:M is not on the list (other products in a similar price range are, though). I contacted Maxon, and they replied (somewhat vaguely) that I should call them so we could work something out.

runejw
02-04-2003, 08:38 AM
Pabitel wrote: Wow. Where did you find this?

Just a matter of searching www.google.com with the right words. :thumbsup:

Anyway I wrote Newtek Europe about it some days ago, they didn't reply, so it's "fair game". Also I've seen discussions in newsgroups that even when LW cost $2499, it was sometimes possible to get it for $995 if you lived in the US and called their head-office and pleaded...

If Newtek wants to improve their global business, I suggest they do as NAD (www.nadelectronics.com). Their new L70 model retails for $999 in the US and is sold in Norway for the price of (NOK 5998 =) $870 INCL taxes, thus actually representing a slight discount compared to US retail prices.

http://www.hometoys.com/releases/jan03/nad_01.htm
http://www.hifiklubben.no/show.php?folder=41&product=nadl70ti

The rule on software sales however seems to be that the software is sold overseas for the US suggested retail price PLUS shipping PLUS local retailer advance PLUS local taxes. Strange - considering the software is much cheaper to produce and has less shipment costs than the above (heavy) electronic product.

It should be supremely possible to offer software for the same retail price (including taxes) in any country.

Cheers,
Rune

marcopio
02-04-2003, 06:09 PM
Was there a certain contact at Maxon for Cinema 4D that we should speak to. Maybe if enough interested people call they might do a special pricing for us.

HellBorn
02-04-2003, 10:08 PM
I contacted Maxon a week ago and I now got contacted by my local dealer. I suppose thats the way they want to do it. They allowed me the competitive upgrade deal. So you probable get it if you ask.

marcopio
02-04-2003, 10:15 PM
Thanks.

Do you like Cinema 4D so far?

Hookflash
02-05-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by HellBorn
I contacted Maxon a week ago and I now got contacted by my local dealer. I suppose thats the way they want to do it. They allowed me the competitive upgrade deal. So you probable get it if you ask.

So, did they give it to you for $1295? Would you say it was worth it, or do you wish you'd gone with Lightwave?

HellBorn
02-05-2003, 02:19 PM
I have not yet decided what to order.

I wont order Lightwave only as I don't think that it has what I want when it comes to animation. and I don't really want or need a new modeller and I can't say I like the interface (a matter of tast of course).

Messiah Animator + Lightwave is simply to expensive.

So as I also need a way to render, I'm chosing between CinemaXL and Advanced Messiah Studio.

I have tried to find out more about what the fact that Messia Studio not is ready yet means. But have not recived any usefull information. I also have some questions about what can be made with Messiah Animator. As an example the is particles but there is not many options. So I dont really know what I can do with them. Maybe I can do anything by combining them with other effects but currently i simply dont know.

Finding out what can be done with the different modules in Cinema is however not wery hard as most things are well documented and the usergroup is very helpful.

The difference between Cinema and Messiah Animate is much in what you feel when starting the applications. In Cinema you don't see much that has to do with animation while in Messiah you instantly feel thet this is made for the animator. But...

I think that Cinema now has the tools thats needed for animation when MOCCA is added. I do however not think that the animation part is as fancy or smoth as in Messiah. Currently that is more of a feeling I have as I don't really knows the applications god enough. I expect to continue to evaluate for a week or two before I order something.

The price I got was from the Swedish dealer was for the XL version. If I take your $1200 and add import tax and shipping it gets close enough.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.