PDA

View Full Version : 3998 Tri, Goo Character

Tzoee
10-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Hi :)

This is Goo race character, this one will be some sort of warrior...he is big and pretty strong) (height more than 2 meters) . that is my second attempt for character modeling , and of course I want to hear crit about topology and anything else you want)

3998 Triangles

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/9619/gooforumvs7.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1876/gooforumaddnf8.jpg

I hope polyflow of topology, is a little better than in first attemt)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=413876

Thanx:)

Steen
10-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Looks pretty good. Topology seems fine to me (although I wouldn't consider myself an expert).

I do think his legs look a little unnatural. I see what you are going for with the inverted knee and all, but I think that his upper thigh needs to be rethought. Bones don't typically curve like that. I'd see about finding some animal skeleton reference so it could be a little more convincing.

Otherwise he looks cool. Looks like he'd give a pretty brutal three finger punch :)
Keep up the good work.

blacker
10-11-2006, 05:52 PM
This is a BIG improvement over your last model! The meshflow looks a lot better and you're using your polygons a lot more efficiently!

Here are some things you might want to look at though:

It's practically the same character as your last one! Just fixed up! Variety is the spice of life! ;)
The legs are so curvy that they don't seem to have bones. I'd either straighten them a bit or emphasize their presence by making the knees and ankles bigger and more like joints.
There seems to be an unnecessary cut on the forearm up near the elbow. It's not necessary to remove it, but I don't think it's enhancing the form at all.
The biggest problem I see though, comes from the transition of the shoulder to the arm. The shoulders are positioned as if the arms are at 45 degrees between being straight out and straight down, but the arms themselves are straight out.
Overall this is looking really nice! Please post a side view, too!

Tzoee
10-11-2006, 06:25 PM
It's practically the same character as your last one! Just fixed up! Variety is the spice of life!

ok, next will be different)) what sort of you wanna see?)

The legs are so curvy that they don't seem to have bones. I'd either straighten them a bit or emphasize their presence by making the knees and ankles bigger and more like joints.
I do think his legs look a little unnatural. I see what you are going for with the inverted knee and all, but I think that his upper thigh needs to be rethought. Bones don't typically curve like that. I'd see about finding some animal skeleton reference so it could be a little more convincing.

yes, they are) legs unnaturally curved. that's intentional mistake , bone constraction needs to be more plausible... in the final stage i'll try to make bone&muscles constraction as real, as possible)

The biggest problem I see though, comes from the transition of the shoulder to the arm. The shoulders are positioned as if the arms are at 45 degrees between being straight out and straight down, but the arms themselves are straight out.

I still have big problems with anatomy) as I see now modeling needs a big reference material

Tzoee
10-11-2006, 06:43 PM
and here's side view)
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2791/sidepw4.jpg

BenEoff
10-11-2006, 08:42 PM
I think it's great that you are actively seeking improvement in the technicalities of character modeling, and it shows. I think Blacker summed most everything up the best. I also think it would be unfruitful to nitpick topology issues one by one, so I won't do that. What I will do is give you some encouragement. Just keep at it, and keep looking for reference, both for subject matter, and to help you improve your technical side. I can already see it happening, you're starting to become aware of patterns for forms and flow, and pretty soon here it will just click, and you'll start modeling effortlessly. Just keep it up, always be studious, and you'll start seeing things clearly. Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2006, 08:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.