PDA

View Full Version : Moutons the movie

artichaud
10-11-2006, 12:01 PM
hi,

Here's a short film i made with two other friends during our final year in a 3d school called "supinfocom".

Here is a link toward the site where you can acces to the movie and others features :

http://moutonslefilm.free.fr/ (http://moutonslefilm.free.fr)

for information, that took us a year and 4 months for the whole project from writing the script to export the movie in betacam. And the production took 6 months from modeling to post-production.

So enjoy :)

DimitrisK
10-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Itís so good!!!
Itís incredibly good!!!
Itís Diney and Pixar good!!!
Itís so good that I just canít stop watching it again and again and again. Itís so good that I am really really hungry, but I canít go to the kitchen be4 I see it one more time.

Cool work. I love it.:thumbsup::applause::applause:

Anton980
10-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Wow, that sheep is a traitor!
Great animation and interesting concept!

Graboid
10-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Ill give you a 5 just for imagination! Excellent work!

kevinw
10-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Definitely well done. I'd hardly say it's on a Pixar level but I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions.

So he can breath under water? That's the only part I didn't get.

Otherwise, very well thought out and congratulations on all the hard work.

kemenyi
10-11-2006, 05:50 PM
simply AMAZING!

Batchem
10-11-2006, 06:43 PM
I had seen this in the 2006 gallery at Supinfocum-Arles. I enjoyed it very much both then and now. A very imaginative, playful, and well done piece indeed.

Batchem

mimo8
10-11-2006, 09:17 PM
WOW

its soooo good
Congratulations

excelent animation, rendering, modeling, post, characters, textures lightning ...

chapeau

mjthom18
10-12-2006, 02:19 AM
i think you could have improved on the surface of the water a little bit more but other than that its wonderful.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII LOVE IT!!

artichaud
10-12-2006, 07:53 AM
thanks for your comments, we appreciate all 3 of us these compliments cause we sweat hard to achieve this movie, we spent about 15 hours per day and 7 day per week to made something professional but first of all something cool .

to kevinw; yes he can breathe underwater, i know that's surprising but this is the magic of feature film, make something believable as it normally can't even exist.:)

and to mjthom18; my friend spent time to adjust the shape of the sea, he go throught many results and the ones which were very realistic required too many memory for our computers, so he decided to simplify it at his maximum. And finally we were pretty satisfied for the result considering the short period of time we had.

mimo8
10-12-2006, 09:42 AM
animation should do what a real movie cannot

my biggest crit is the resolution of the movie
would be cool to see it a bit bigger

looking forward to see you on front page
:thumbsup:

rollmops
10-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Well done guys! :thumbsup:
A stylish study film!

bozomck
10-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Great work ! Do you know if some other 2006 supinfocom films can be viewed somewhere ?

artichaud
10-12-2006, 11:54 AM
In fact mimo8 we cannot put it in high def on the web due to the contract we sign with the production company. This is an outer organism which is in charge to promote the film to tv channels, festivals, and other media. As the film is brand new, people who will buy the film or play it in festival wants an exclusive right. So the only thing we're allowed to do is to show it on the web in small def. I know this is not fun but you can still see it...:shrug:

skeath
10-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Very good and verry funny !!

Ils sont mignons c'est pti moutons ^^

AndrewChang
10-12-2006, 01:22 PM
That was really great! I loved the creativity behind it and some of the humor was just spot on and cute too. The lighting was also nice and I really liked how the animation felt underwater but without too much floatiness and still had weight and all that good stuff. The only thing I would say for now is that the sheep with the big horns seems to run a little strange, but great job!

PureMoxi
10-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Really unique concept...and obviously an enormous amount of work. The look of the film is great and I think that imagery is captivating and curious which allows the viewer to be caught up in the whimsy of the world you have created. ...all underwater is very brave for an animation about typical land dwelling creatures...you made it believable for me. Thanks for sharing...

artichaud
10-12-2006, 03:23 PM
you can see the others films of 2006 here (http://www.supinfocom-arles.fr/annuaire2.php?film=Moutons&annee=2006)

clic on any picture and then on "voir le film". all films are in streaming.

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/vivcab/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

Womball
10-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Fantastic work! Really incredible water environment and it felt like they were swimming. I felt that the out of water work was not as good, the characters didn't have a believeable weight out of the water. But in it, wow! Only other crit was, I'm not sure what was going on. I may have to watch it again. I am in the process of making my senior thesis film. This is definetly a source for inspiration. And you set a very high standard too!

katana2665
10-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Yea, it doesnt have the polish of a multimillion dollar Pixar, but it certainly is up there with the best this site has to offer. Really imaginative.

blz
10-13-2006, 03:25 AM
awesome animation.
i enjoyed it, good watch
al lthe best in the future :)

yolao
10-13-2006, 05:35 PM
amazing!... great work guys.:thumbsup:

So, 1 year and 4 months and 6 months from making the characters to the final animation?... right?... how much time did it take the render process and it what computers do you render?.... do you guys have you`r on render farm?

Thanks for share this great work with us!:)

cubit
10-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Very pleasant to watch:)

Not sure if it was the encoding, but when the camera swings down with the seagull, it seems really jerky:shrug:

I Loved the concept, and there's not much else to say except thank you for making such a wonderful short:thumbsup:

FunkyCowie
10-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Awesome... just totally awesome.

At first I was thinking... 'What the flock? Sheep swimming in the sea?'. For student work this is brilliant I`m sure the 3 of you are very proud of what you have achieved. Will you work together in the future? Or will you go your seperate ways in the industry? :D

SeifoSid
10-15-2006, 01:55 AM
great animation, the ending is so funny... :thumbsup:

ratatat
10-15-2006, 02:30 AM
really enjoyed the animation and story. nice job on the character's personalities and animation in water. wow, really nice. 5 stars.

:applause:

buttachunk
10-15-2006, 06:56 AM
excellent !:bounce:

KentZilla
10-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Very nice work, nice idea... i just love it!

(en plus j'adore les moutons ils sont trop mignons. Tu n'as pas une image avec juste un mouton que je puisse metre en fond d'ťcran?)

artichaud
10-16-2006, 09:28 AM
thanks again for your answers,

The render process was pretty tight cause we had decide to made the sheep's fur in particules, but when we tried to render a final scene we saw that the particules moved randomly on the skin of the sheeps, so flicking occured. We were mad cause it didn't happened on the tests made before and we were closed to the deadline. So we decided to used a simple shader and we rendered the scene one after one in a period of one big month, we had already rendered the surface which used global illumination on Vray few month ago (fortunately for us!). We render the last shot few minutes before to put the montage on betacam!

We use mainly our 3 pentium 4, and several pc connected in network. We didn't had a renderfarm, but we sure had needed it!

We are not actually working together now and i don't think we will have the oportunity to work again like that, that was an incredible experience, we shared a lot but now we live each of us our own experience.

We will try to make some wallpapers, check the website soon...

artichaud
10-20-2006, 07:42 AM
finally here are two wallpapers for interested people...

http://mail.google.com/mail/?realattid=f_etha869l&attid=0.1&disp=inline&view=att&th=10e61227fe1e4a44

http://mail.google.com/mail/?realattid=f_etha8cq8&attid=0.2&disp=inline&view=att&th=10e61227fe1e4a44

mimo8
10-20-2006, 10:15 AM
aggain: big fan of your movie
I woud have really liked to see it on front page,
instead of looking at the 1.000.000st photoshop still life (boring)

but cg-talk seems to avoid too many animation on frontpage, for its bad experience with broken down servers.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=418436

anyhow .. great flic
keep it up
m

PEN
10-20-2006, 12:54 PM
I teach part time at Humber College and I constantly push students to do this level of work. I know how hard it is to get three dedicated people all willing to share the same vision and working on a project for that length of time.

Very well done. I'm extreamly impressed with the quality of the whole piece and the originality.

Congrats!

Capn_Camo
10-21-2006, 05:35 AM
Tuly amazing work fellas, I really enjoyed that. Despite the fact that you will no doubt get a lot of people saying "that wouldn't actually happen blah blah blah", the fact that you have sheep under water is reason enough to forget about reason altogether and just believe in the unbelievable hehe.

My only problem was with some of the sound effects. It seems whenever the sheep herder would move it would make really loud "bloop bloop" sounds. As far as I know, this would only happen when there are still pockets of air on the character's body (usually in the first 30 seconds of getting in the water). To begin with its alright, but when it happens every time he moves it gets a little repetitive.

Other than that you have a seriously awesome movie. This should be on the front page!

Camo :buttrock:

artichaud
10-23-2006, 11:54 AM
In fact i used a lot of bubble effects (i say i cause i was in charge of the sound design and the music making) to remind the audience that the show take place underwater, and put a bubble sound on a action avoid to place a 'swoosh' sound which remains very cartoony. But it's true that if we had more time and several feedbacks like here we would have made a better movie.

so thanks again for all your kind remarks

lehmi
10-24-2006, 07:51 AM
love it!

sound fx are awesome!
And seeing how much quality you gave to the renderings in compositing is just stunning!

nikolas1977
10-24-2006, 02:55 PM
I also love it.

Everything seems great.

And for once ithe music and sound fx are treated like equals in an animation short (YAY!)

One question though: In the webstie I could only SEE the movie in the browser (firefox) but not download it, which is a real real pity. Any chance of hacing a download option (or maybe a chance of telling me I'm stupid cause it's already there and I didn't see it :S)

artichaud
10-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Hi nikolas1977, apparently the quicktime player under firefox doesn't offer to download the sequence, but i tried with explorer and you can do it with it.

sachin3d
10-25-2006, 10:34 AM
good concept, good animation, great look and feel. really liked it. keep it up man.

crazyCG12
10-26-2006, 03:27 AM
Its pretty good, but I surely not up to Pixar standard

AsaMovshovitz
10-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Its pretty good, but I surely not up to Pixar standard

...crazyCG12 i think it is much more then pretty good, i think it is absolutely amazing piece of work.
And as for not being Pixar level, well lets see, a few students from France = no budget and one year, Pixar = hundreds of people and a little bit more time and money, just a little bit more.
well done, excellent work :applause:

Hydrox3
10-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Dindn't find it funny, too long!

Manter
10-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Really nice and great animation! Supinfocom rocks!:scream:

Myzer
10-29-2006, 03:32 PM
I love the mapping and lighting and rendering and all!
The sheeps are all so cute:love:

nicoGuy
10-30-2006, 02:13 AM
.Great stuff dude
..but it drags!, toooo long

yogeshsherman
10-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Animation was great.
you really have done some amasing work be it lighting ,rendering or concept.
the whole quality of the project was awsome.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

My Demoreel (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=421934)

CGTalk Moderation
10-30-2006, 08:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.