PDA

View Full Version : Hard to Explain; I need more editability with Photoshop!

capin_crunch
02-03-2003, 08:22 PM
I do not know how to word what I need so I will come up with a picture. I think my picture explains it well. I just want to have a natural 3dlook when I apply the label; what is the eaisyiest way to do this in Photoshop, hopefully without any plugins.

cheers
-capin_crunch

tchook
02-03-2003, 08:40 PM
ther is a plug in ps
type your text
render it as bitmap
select filter/render/3dtransform

but it s*ucks badly
the best way is to do it in illustrator

sorry
hope that help

singularity2006
02-03-2003, 10:45 PM
photoshop 6 or 7.... uh, one of them, 7 for sure has a text transform utility that allows u to arc text in a fashion that let's u wrap it around a 3D surface... or rather a 2D surface to make it look 3D. It's in the text options.

feo
02-04-2003, 03:46 AM
It is going to take some trial and error, but it is possible.
You can get started by figuring out wich portion of the label would be visible. Then Selecting it and applying the the Filter/distort/Spherize -- Make sure you only select horizontal. That will give you the curvature at the sides.
Draw a grey/silver box and select the can proportions. Then get a 3d cylinder going by using the filter/render/3d transform on the selection. (Click on the cylinder button and then on the rotate sphere to tilt it forward)
The vertical distortion, you could get it going by rotating the results of the previous spherize 90 degrees, and then messing with some settings of the shear filter.
It would be a lot of work, but a great learning experience. I did it once for an illustration for a web site. I was working at a different country, I did not have a 3d rendering package with me. All I had was PhotoShop. I don't remember all the steps but I think that is mostly how I did it. It came out neat looking, it was a large image (by web standards) and after adding some shadows and highlights nobody knew how I did it. Unfortunally I do not know what I did with the image.
I hope this helps you out at least a bit.

singularity2006
02-04-2003, 04:09 PM
yah, the long method applies if ur version of Photoshop doesn't have the text transform options.

capin_crunch
02-04-2003, 05:19 PM
Thank you everyone who posted. I solved my problem. I went to the Filters->Render>3d Transform and I was able to get the desired results I was looking for. If I have any more problems with Photoshop I will be sure to post here. Thanks again for the help guys and gals.

cheers
-capin_crunch

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.