PDA

View Full Version : Meet the Robinsons Dialog Animation

FaQ3D
10-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone

I took a soundtrack from the trailer of the upcoming disney 3d movie "Meet the Robinsons"

The dialog says "I invented it, me, me, me!!
http://www.fbsurfboards.com/anims/invented_final2.mov Quicktime 1.6 mgs.

Please give me crits and comments, all is welcome! :D

http://www.fbsurfboards.com/anims/invented_final.jpg

PureMoxi
10-11-2006, 08:33 AM
I like the timing as a whole as well as the concept of building the intensity of the piece as it progresses...as it matches well with the sound clip, but I think you could enhance the piece by employing more contrast in his facial animation, specifically his eye brows and eye lids from start to finish.

If I consider the face as one unit, it seems to be the same level of intensity throughout. I think there are opportunities for more contrast there. Perhaps starting with his eye lids at a normal state (just touching his iris) and his eye brows being only slightly cocked or even crinkled down in anger....then you could progress to the end state of the face that you have now...or even something more extreme. (for example, you could get his whole body into the pose and have him climbing up over the table in disgust as the camera comes in on him in a similar fashion. Other acting choices for the beginning could be that he starts off in a more closed pose and then opens up more and more as the clip progresses and his anger grows.)

I think those things would just push the animation even further as it is clear that you have the timing and the essense of the clip down...just my opinion

TimothyElliot
10-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Cool animation. I like the S&S on the head and overlap on the jaw.

A few things stick out for me --

There are lot of the body parts still hitting at the same time on the same frame;

movement in the nose is almost perfectly horizontally linear. I'd like to see a little more arcing.

... and the torso, it's locked for the first 1/4 of the animation. Actually that lower spine doesn't look like it moves at all during the entire animation.

During the first two yells, he's looking at the camera -- but during his last movement, his eyes seem to go off, they seem unfocused to me. Maybe keep keep him still staring at the camera.

He goes three times into that spider-like hunch, his head going down/left. It feels redundant. That third time, might be a way to play with the movement. Maybe have him go, say, up and to the right instead.

Maybe I have a partiality to curving lines of action, but that jutted spider-like pose just isn't appealing enough to me to be held for so long (half the animation).

When he swings his right arm out to rest it on the table two frames before he rests his hand on the table, following the forces against that hand, it feels like the fingers should be bent the other way -- in that particular frame, you're treating the hand as if it has gone "down" -- but it's actually gone "out."

FaQ3D
10-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Thank you PureMoxi, your comments are very useful to me! I did some corrections on the facial expressions, the eyebrows gets on an angrier position progresively through the action, also the eyelids and the iris gets smaller, this makes the character look much more angry.

Tell me what you think about this new fix.

Thank you
http://www.fbsurfboards.com/anims/invented_final3.mov

TimothyElliot
10-11-2006, 10:25 AM
My previous comment was on the first animation you posted.

This is on the second.

I think that last eye-brow needs to be simpler. It's almost an "M" shape.

But even more -- after looking at both animations it feels like you quite haven't found the attitude of the character yet.

In the first animation, the character felt beseeching leading to desperation, like he was trying to convince someone who was importantant (for whatever reason).

The latest animation feels like comical anger. (I personally liked the first attitude better. It felt more complex, less gnashing-teeth-melodramatic.) I guess that pretty much covers it for me -- I agree with PureMoxi's previous post, you know, contrast, etc. So, no use me repeating what he already said.

But all-in-all, you might want to first nail down the attitude that drives his performance, then animate from that attitude.

kevinw
10-11-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm not sure I understand your objective here.
It's risky business trying to animate to something that someone (at Disney no less) has already done so well. Then to animate it almost exactly the same as the original animation (camera move and all)??? You're not really proving you can do anything other than copy what someone else has done. If you're going to use a clip from a disney movie you should at least animate it COMPLETELY different. But in general I would stay away from disney,pixar,dreamworks,bluesky,etc... clips

However. If your goal was to study and recreate a great piece of work for the purose of practice and understanding then I'd say exercise completed.. Now move on to something more original. :thumbsup:

FaQ3D
10-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Thank you both for your comments! as I said i took the soundtrack and did the same animation myself, to study and practice on movements, timing, etc.. I wanted to do it exactly the same to prove myself if i can make the animation look just like the original one... I guess i came a little close to the original, but never achieved the same final aspect... i know i need a lot more practice on acting and other aspects of animation..

Ill better move to something different now!!

Thanks for your comments/crits/suggestions, it really helped me out! :D

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2006, 10:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.