PDA

View Full Version : New Corel Painter DVD by Ryan Church

Rebeccak
10-11-2006, 03:30 AM
Gnomon has a new Painter DVD by Ryan Church:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/rch06.html

Discuss here if you think the DVD is a good one worth buying. (I have not seen it). I noticed this thread about the DVD in CGNews:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=415557

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

razz
10-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Saw this DVD on Gnomon yesterday. Like a dream come true to me actually. Ryan is one of my favourite artists. I think I'll be checking out this DVD sooner or later. It's about Painter!!

But would also like to hear what people that saw it say about it, although I'm pretty sure it's worth looking at.

Dekus
10-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Whoa! Intro to Corel Painter!? That is soo what i need! Awesome! I tried Painter.. but it was so much complicated compared to Photoshop, whitch is so user friendlier...

anandpg
10-17-2006, 03:23 AM
I am gonna buy this... Just what I need... that too from a true master!

SylvanMist
01-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Just thought I'd give a small review on this since I bought/watched this DVD.

First, I'm not a computer or total painter noob but I am, or was, somewhat new to painter. I never really got into it much before, and even though I could have learned it all on my own reading the help manuals, this DVD looked appealing.
So, the first hour or so he talks about the interface/layers/brushes, etc..He goes into quick overviews of each main element in Painter. The part I liked the best was when he showed how he uses his brushes(also talks about how he edits them too). Because I always think it's neat to see just how the artist works and uses the tools he/she uses. I also learned from how he uses the paper textures.
However I will say that 90% of the info I already knew. So if you've used photoshop before or know painter a little the beginning won't help you that much.

The second part is the main reason why I wanted the DVD, he talks about how he starts a painting, a bit on perspective, etc.. This I found useful for a beginner illustrator/concept artist. It just gets you going with something to work from :)

I didn't watch any of Ryan Church's other DVD's...what do you guys think about them? Are they well worth it? How are they in comparison to this DVD if you've seen both?

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2007, 05:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.