PDA

View Full Version : Animation Reel by Chris Bennett

CBAnimator
10-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Hi everyone!

I uploaded my new reel today:

http://www.cbanimator.com/demoreel.html (Filesize 18MB)

Let me know what you think - all suggestions are very welcome - I hope you enjoy it.

torncanvas
10-11-2006, 03:59 AM
I just want to say good job, man. The animation was pretty good overall, although I think the thing I enjoyed the most was how you made me laugh. Many times student work doesn't make me laugh, but yours did, so kudos!

I think I liked the robot animation the best. Did you spend more time on that? Or did you have a better rig? Just curious because that seemed like the most natural animation (to me) out of what you had.

CBAnimator
10-11-2006, 02:48 PM
thanks very much, i really appreciate that!
Im glad its funny - thats absolutely what im going for (because theyre cartoons.. theyve gotta be funny!)

i agree that the final animation is probably my best - its probably because its the most recent one i've done.

thanks again.
chris.

FracoisBennet
10-11-2006, 11:57 PM
The animation was pretty good overall, although I think the thing I enjoyed the most was how you made me laugh. Many times student work doesn't make me laugh, but yours did, so kudos

Yes it also make me laugh! And I cannot critique anything, you have my same name hehe!:thumbsup:

travishowe
10-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Hey Chris,
Nice work man. It looks like you've put a lot of work into this! I do have a few critiques tho:

1. Be aware of twinning. Twinning happens when the pose reads as two limbs mimicking each other. A good example of where this is happening is at the beginning, when the character is shouting. His limbs feel as tho you grabbed the controls for both arms and rotated/set keys at the same time. Even if the arms are doing the same thing as each other, you'll rarely (if ever) find that your arms do the exact same thing at the EXACT same time.

2. In the second piece, with the "walk" sign (very clever by the way), the character's feelings about the subject get a bit jumbled. When he is initially shocked by the sign changing so quickly, then it changes again (to "to slow"), he has the same reaction. While I can tell that you did not copy the keyframes, it still feels like you did. The character has the same response to the sign switching the first time as he does the second time. My suggestion would be to give that first "gasp" reaction a bit more subtlty. What I mean by this is, let him seem confused, less shocked. Don't have him jump, jaw drop, arms flail to the sides. Instead, have him furrow his brow, drop his shoulders, caulk his head to the side, and then, when it says "too slow," have him react in shock.

3. When it says "Ok... Go Ahead," his mood is that he doesn't trust it, so he's not going to cross, correct? When I freeze frame and look at it, I can see the pose you were going for, but it is not readily apparent in sillhouette. One of the most important parts of animation is ledgibility, especially in the head and arms, where most of the emotion takes place (outside of the face, of course). It's easy to forget when working in cg that while you can see that his hands are on his hips, the viewer does not have access to the Maya file, and therefore the render you give them is all they've got. Turn the character more towards the shot so that the shapes of the arms are more ledgible.

4. When he goes to step on the road, and the sign switches again, step thru the animation of his jump back. With the controls on your site I'm unable to do so, but I think you'll find that he floats back into a shocked pose. I would recommend a squash down before he hops up, and maintaining the foot on the ground longer, as tho he's leaping.

5. One of the most important pieces of advise I can give you is to put your best work first. I agree with the other posters, your robot piece is by far your strongest, yet it's at the end. Remember, most companies will give you about 30 seconds worth of demo reel time, then if they're not impressed, they turn it off. The best idea is to impress them straight off the bat.

Well, that's all I've got for now, hope it helps :)

Satellite1984
10-12-2006, 05:09 PM
[this post has been deleted]

CBAnimator
10-12-2006, 05:14 PM
thanks for getting back to me everyone.
thanks travis, youve given me a few things to re-think :)

CBAnimator
10-18-2006, 06:33 PM
I recently made some changes to the reel based on some of the feedback Ive recieved - mainly the environment in the second animation, and the overall sound effects and music.

If you havent seen the reel yet.. please do! and id love to hear what you think.
Thanks!

http://www.cbanimator.com/Movies/Chris_Bennett_Animation_Reel_cbanimator.mov

FunkyCowie
10-18-2006, 07:17 PM
The mouth on the side of the face thing works, for me, surprisingly well. How does it look though when its head on or nearly head on? or is a small round shape? I would put the robot blobby thing first on your reel, might be nice to have a different lipsynch as your current one for me isn`t readable enough and would probably go next, the crossing the road is very nice :) then I think the fish one whould go last as its a nice ending.

jason108
10-18-2006, 07:47 PM
needs some Squash and stretch was my first impression. The hands lacked expression too.

The mouth rig was neat.

CBAnimator
10-19-2006, 12:46 AM
cant beat a little squash and stretch!

im glad you like his mouth - a couple of people have said they didnt really get it.

thanks for watching and for getting back to me, i really appreciate it!

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2006, 12:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.