PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely not related to R10: MoGraph article #6

Mylenium
10-10-2006, 06:29 PM
For all you poor souls looking for some distraction from either your frustration of not having the R10 upgrade yet or just being bogged down by all this noise around this release:

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/mylenium/MoGraph_text/index.html

Mylenium

big smokedog
10-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks for taking the time to do these tutorials. They are much appreciated.

wim
10-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Great, thanks a lot!!!

caraffi
10-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Mylenium, thank you for taking the time out to share....apreciated m8... cH

Levvv
10-11-2006, 02:08 AM
Your dedication is greatly appreciated.

LemonNado
10-11-2006, 02:12 AM
Yo! You da man!
Gruesse aus New Jersey!
Lemo

Linds
10-11-2006, 02:49 AM
I just got my MoGraph Module last week, so this is perfect timing for me.
Thanks a lot for putting in the time to do these. Very well done, and VERY usefull.

Cheers

Linds

Continuumx
10-11-2006, 03:28 AM
Thanks Mylenium this great for practicing using the R10 demo! Thanks for the tip about using R and C for the text objects and nurb objects for automated material selections. I do not recall seeing that in the manual. Is this an easter egg feature?

Nice work once again and great quality!:thumbsup:

AdamT
10-11-2006, 04:32 AM
Thanks Mylenium this great for practicing using the R10 demo! Thanks for the tip about using R and C for the text objects and nurb objects for automated material selections. I do not recall seeing that in the manual. Is this an easter egg feature?
Nah, it's in the manual.

xfon5168
10-11-2006, 07:38 AM

Nice work once again and great quality!:thumbsup:

As Adam said, it's in the manual, and it works with all NURBS Objects as well. So no need to make em editable to texture them like that :)

fretshredder
10-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Very appreciated! thanks mate!

Cheers!

ChrisCousins
10-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks for this - very useful stuff, I like the density of your videos, they must have been a lot of work and deserve multiple viewings.

For your info, you can now put MoGraph text into a 'Connect' object in R10, and grow hair onto this, if DiTools aren't available.

http://www.chriscousins.plus.com/files/moghair.jpg

Seeyou - C

For all you poor souls looking for some distraction from either your frustration of not having the R10 upgrade yet or just being bogged down by all this noise around this release:

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/mylenium/MoGraph_text/index.html

Mylenium

Rantin Al
10-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks again, Mylenium.:thumbsup:

Continuumx
10-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks Chris that is very helpful! Is there more information on the function of this "connect" object?

JoelOtron
10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks Chris that is very helpful! Is there more information on the function of this "connect" object?

Its pretty much the same as DiJoiner in Ditools if you have that. Very happy they added this to 10.
Basically--whatever you put into its heirachy is read as a single object/mesh. So you can then clone across its surface (onto another cloner group for instance) or as Chris shows--grow hair on it. Very useful.

Continuumx
10-12-2006, 04:55 AM
Its pretty much the same as DiJoiner in Ditools if you have that. Very happy they added this to 10.
Basically--whatever you put into its heirachy is read as a single object/mesh. So you can then clone across its surface (onto another cloner group for instance) or as Chris shows--grow hair on it. Very useful.

Thanks Joel, this is very intriguing. Time for some experimentation using this object in the demo.

benytone
10-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Hi Mylenium
my favorite number: 5 & 6
thanks to you king

Mylenium
10-13-2006, 05:43 AM
Hi Mylenium
my favorite number: 5 & 6
thanks to you king

Wait till you see 7, 8, 9... ;O). Thanks for your and the others' kind words.

Mylenium

basilisk
10-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks again for this - in principal I agree with you that 3D text usually is a bad idea, but I am definitely finding myself in more 3d text situations now I have Mograph. I guess one thing you might add is using shader effectors for adjusting individual kerning... maybe using a gradient?

jimzepellin
10-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks Mylenium.

prayas
10-13-2006, 01:07 PM
hi mylenium.

Thanks again for such a great tutorial. Helps getting into the mograph module deeper and deeper. Nice to see you still keep coming more of this series.

P..:

Mylenium
10-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks again for this - in principal I agree with you that 3D text usually is a bad idea, but I am definitely finding myself in more 3d text situations now I have Mograph. I guess one thing you might add is using shader effectors for adjusting individual kerning... maybe using a gradient?

Na, I don't think that's enough. My problem with such tools is, that all they care about is the contours and then they place the text based on the bounding box defined in the font file. *yuck* They do not care for kerning, hinting, glyph substitution and many other things. On top of that they don't handle TrueType and PostScript properly (ever tried to get Chinese text to work even with copy&paste from charmap?) let alone OpenType. What's even worse in case of C4D (and MoGraph for that matter) is that using any type of fillet/rounding will completely ruin your font because you can't control the overlap or placement to the degree that would be required. I won't even discuss such things as ligatures, alternate serifs and whatnot. Don't get me wrong, I won't pretend I'm a typo buff, but I have many friends/ clients in that area and it tears my heart out everytime I see a nice font ruined in such a way. Simply put: Using anything other than an ugly monospaced font is aesthetical suicide. I really wish someone would give the matter some thought and get to it. Maybe Per-Anders would consider implementing all this nice stuff in MoGraph 1.2 ;O).

Mylenium

basilisk
10-13-2006, 04:21 PM
bevelled type I can survive without anyway (I don't do a lot of idents for US sports channels) - I am more likely just to use flat type, but proper kerning and kerning control are necessary, otherwise I will have add in my text in AE.

ChrisCousins
10-13-2006, 10:51 PM
... it tears my heart out everytime I see a nice font ruined in such a way...

I know what you mean - it was this motivation that made me start a mini exploration of 3D type (http://www.chriscousins.plus.com/3daz/), a bit dated now (it was with Cinema R7 after all) but a handy project to refer back to remind myself which typefaces work in 3D. The upshot was that when set as 3D type most modern fonts look a bit ropy without exensive reworking - some look completely hideous, and all classic fonts look awful except for Clarendon and Parkinson, which were made for 3D.

To be honest I'd be no more likely to use 3D type unkerned than I would be to set a big display heading unkerned - it's not something that is handled automatically even in the fine-tuned world of print, let alone 3D - human intervention is always needed. Not sure how much I'll be using 3D type in Mograph, but I'm guessing that for short headings single MoGraph letters can be grouped and handled by MoGraph en masse?

Cheers - Chris

Mylenium
10-14-2006, 12:20 PM
To be honest I'd be no more likely to use 3D type unkerned than I would be to set a big display heading unkerned - it's not something that is handled automatically even in the fine-tuned world of print, let alone 3D - human intervention is always needed.

Yes, it's exactly why I prefer to import adjusted stuff from Illustrator with all the disadvantages it has on the 3D side of things.

Not sure how much I'll be using 3D type in Mograph, but I'm guessing that for short headings single MoGraph letters can be grouped and handled by MoGraph en masse?

I guess it boils down to when and how you use it - if it's extremely "flashy" and fast-paced with lots of motionblur, nobody will probably notice inconsistencies in the balancing of the chars/ glyphs nor minor imperfections in the extrusions and bevels. It will only show up on slow stuff.

For the time being my one biggest wish is that there be a way to auto-compnsate spacing when you use scaling operations and rotations to tilt characters. The lack of such an option ruins even the few remaining typefaces suitable for 3D due to the overlap. Completely incomprehensible why nobody even seems to have thought of that. Before anyone mentions: I don't find using an extra offset acceptable as it is

a) based on metrical units and thus not that useful for type
b) ultimately shifts the entire line of text once the falloff has passed through all of them e.g. on a AE text animator style animation.

I really would love to hear Per-Anders or another developer's thoughts on this.

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
10-14-2006, 12:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.