PDA

View Full Version : dynamic parenting

toonafish
10-10-2006, 04:17 PM
What's the best way to dynamicly parent an object in XSI.

I need to animate a deck of cards beeing picked up from the table, then changes from the left hand to the right hand a few times and back to the the table.

Initialy several pose constraints stacked on top of eachother with Constraint Comp worked like a charm. But it seems there's a limit of how many pose constraints you can have, I use 4 now and XSI seems to lose it and forget what object to constrain to.

So I think I used a wrong method, is there a better way that also lets you stick an objects position like with Constrain Comp ?

thanks.

bravmm
10-10-2006, 04:37 PM
what about animating the "strenght" of the constraints, one for the table and one for each hand?? Would that do or is the naimation of switching complicated?

toonafish
10-10-2006, 05:05 PM
I tried that initialy, but I couldn't figure out a way to make the deck of cards stick to their position/orientation while going from one constraint to another.

When adding a new constraint you can use the Constrant Compenstion, which doesn't seem to work with already existing constraints. Or am I wrong ?

The hands are in another postion/oreintation every time the cards need to change hands. If they weren't it what you're suggesting would be the best way for sure.

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2006, 05:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.