PDA

View Full Version : 'Weak' - acting test

droidzlander
10-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Finally I'm done with this long acting piece :bounce: !
I hope you like it and you can give me critique it a bit. I wanted to try something with very subtle acting refraining from wild over-animating all over the place and working instead inside a very few key poses.
Bye for now.

www.droidzland.com/temp/weak_final.mov (http://www.droidzland.com/temp/weak_final.mov)

Andrea

TomStackpole
10-11-2006, 12:57 AM
Hey, looks pretty good. The animation could still be more subtle if that's what you're going for, but I think it's fine the way it is.

As a critique, I'd say the anticipation on the first head turn is unnecessary as is the shoulder shrug the yellow guy makes when his back is to us. The yellow guy's eyes when looking at the green guy also seem more crosseyed than they need to be.

TimothyElliot
10-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Nice work. That whole first part, before the sound -- it isn't quite reading for me. It feels like it belongs to another scene -- like the shot was part of a previous scene that didn't quite fit with this one. I think for a number of reasons: it is at the beginning before I undestand context; it's in close-up; it feels like you crossed the 180-line; I can't really pick up reference to his attitude; there was no sound.

After watching the whole thing, the first part feels redundant. He's holding 2 milks; in another shot, we see one is skimmed, the other is whole -- we pretty much get that he can't make up his mind.

I like the animation (although the speaker's hand, when the finger's are stretched out, look a little too even (i.e. like a fan)). Maybe loosen up the tips of the fingers when he curls them in (they feel a little stiff).

For the other character, after he sets the milk back on the shelf, the front foot seems to slide with the hips -- maybe lead even a little more with the hips.

When he's putting the milk back. The spacing on the right arm feels very even. I think a slow-in when he first starts to move -- then a fast-out (when he's setting it down) would give a good effect of weight.

xXPuntoXx
10-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Overall i think the piece is good, it appears to work well. I have to agree with TomStackpole his critiques are spot on. - Adam

droidzlander
10-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Thank you so much guys. Great comments from you all, I appreciate it a lot.
As a critique, I'd say the anticipation on the first head turn is unnecessary as is the shoulder shrug the yellow guy makes when his back is to us.

I think you're right on the shrug. I did it to keep the character alive but I've gone too far, it needs to be more felt than actually noticeable.

The yellow guy's eyes when looking at the green guy also seem more crosseyed than they need to be.

I can't really see his eyes crossed. The eyes controllers are ok.

Timothy, what can I say? You're right on everything but I feel I cannot agree for the first shot of the scene. I did it for comedic purposes and I need it to build some kind of expectation.
Anyway, I CROSSED the 180 line. I was smashing my head against a wall when I found it too late.
Your suggestions are extremely helpful to me as they helped to improve this piece. Thanks!!

Andrea

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2006, 06:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.