PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat new to 3D

wantingoblivion
10-10-2006, 12:42 AM
I started trying to use Maya several months back when Alias still owned the program.. and I was just wondering if Maya is going to stick around still and stay for the most part the same while under Autodesk's control?

Also, would anyone advise that I learn 3DSMAX over Maya or continue with Maya?

Just don't wanna waste my time, post back soon please! =)

Aikiman
10-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Thats the million dollar question whether Maya will stay around, but then I dont think Autodesk would fork out $180 million just to get rid of Maya from the market. I think Maya is here to stay, whether the development of Maya is slower than when Alias owned it, probably. If I was you I'd check out Houdini, just to throw a spanner in the works.

sacslacker
10-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Hey! Another person from the Sacramento area, nice.

With the recent announcements of the integrated dynamics stuff it looks that Maya is going to be around for quite some time. I mean there is no gaurantee for any software so anything past a couple years would be anyones guess. That goes for any software really.

Nevertheless, learning Maya wouldn't be a waste at all. Most of Maya's concepts can be found in other packages. I own Maya and recently picked up XSI. The transition was fairly easy.

Houdinni is sweet but it takes a bit to get used to. And if you have any hopes of using Houdinni Master for commercial work, get ready to spend $18k. Not exactly freelancer or even small studio friendly but then again, it's Houdinni.... =)

I'm biased because I'm a Maya user but I'd say learn it and love it!

Mr Moose
10-10-2006, 12:00 PM
And if you have any hopes of using Houdinni Master for commercial work, get ready to spend $18k. Not exactly freelancer or even small studio friendly but then again, it's Houdinni.... =)...which is why SideFX offer various rental options - http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=385&Itemid=190 - I'd say that this makes Houdini particularly affordable to freelancers and small shops.

- Buy Houdini Escape for $2k (or rent for $500/month) to use as the base package.
- When ready, rent Houdini Master for $1.7k/month to build any required particle and dynamics based assets (with an emphasis on keeping them as generic as possible).
- Back in Escape, integrate the new assets and harness the functionality of Master.

This approach is not too pricey at all for quick jobs, alleviating the pain of large up-front fees - a godsend for anyone on a budget wishing to get on the Houdini ladder.

:)

ps - sorry to pollute a Maya forum (there's no Houdini Forum here - so Houdini often gets a hard time), but just wanted to put-right some misinformation. :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.