PDA

View Full Version : Joint Behavior

plsyvjeucxfw
10-09-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm trying to understand this computer animation stuff.

Recently I began trying to rig a character, and wanted to use a lower, horizontal bone to control the toe flex.

Even though the joint type is set to "Socket"...

http://home.comcast.net/~787kfillmore/images/joint.gif

The X, Y, and Z are still translatable. Arrrrgh! I thought the Socket Joint type locked off everything except Rotation. Even when set to Custom and manually locking off the Translation, this bone can still get accidently moved while animating.

http://home.comcast.net/~787kfillmore/images/socket.mov

Am I not understanding the concept behind this joint type?

Thanks.

Giacomo_M
10-10-2006, 03:05 AM
No, you've got it right. The problem is that you can select and move ANY bone (or other obejct) at any time (even if it's locked or otherwise restricted) if you use the gnome.

Pretty irritating, huh? The exact same problem exists in Lightwave too. I'd like to see a 3D app where "locked" means locked. How hard could that be?

GM

Hiddenman.fr
10-10-2006, 06:05 AM
Simply activate the Enable Limits in the Position tab of the Limits tab from the bone's link window (all set to 0). Keep the Link Type to Free and all bone's translations will be locked but rotations.

plsyvjeucxfw
10-11-2006, 01:09 AM
James, Stephane,

thanks for your replies. At least I know now (some hours later) that I'm not going crazy.

And Stephane, locking the bone with Position Limits actually works! Imagine, a Socket Joint with locked X,Y,Z that moves, and a Free Joint that stays locked! What whacky software - no wonder folks have trouble.

To make matters worse, the EI manual offers a single line of information about the Socket Joint type - "Socket. This link type locks the X, Y, and Z position channels." Which of course, it absolutely DOES NOT!

Grrrrrr - Arrrrgh.

Thanks for your help gentlemen.

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2006, 01:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.