PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo to mix art, commerce

ParamountCell
10-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Nintendo to mix art, commerce

The Nihon Keizai Shimbun (http://www.nikkei.co.jp/news/past/honbun.cfm?i=AT1D06048%2007102006) reports that a system for guiding visitors through art galleries using the Nintendo DS Lite is about to undergo its first field tests. The software, which is being developed at Nintendo HQ in Kyoto, will use the DS to provide spoken explanations of the artwork, and show detailed pictures of the art on the DS screen. While viewing the art on the DS screen may seem to defeat the purpose of going to an art gallery, visitors will be able to use the touch-pen to zoom in on any area of the piece for a closer look--a useful feature if the art happens to be behind glass or otherwise inaccessible to close inspection. The first real test of the system will be conducted at an unspecified art exhibition in Tokyo next month.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/news_spots.html?type=news_spots&date=1160422369#6159502

RuinedMessiah
10-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Now the real question is if this online feature will work worth a damn or if it, like Opera, will choke down the console to unbearable performance. Unless these will be cartridges you buy, of course.

Squash-n-Stretch
10-10-2006, 05:27 PM
TROLL! Nintendo flaming TROLL who attempts to wrap up incecent Nintendo flaming as un-biased argument and opinion! TROLL!

Nintendo to mix art, commerce

The Nihon Keizai Shimbun (http://www.nikkei.co.jp/news/past/honbun.cfm?i=AT1D06048%2007102006) reports that a system for guiding visitors through art galleries using the Nintendo DS Lite is about to undergo its first field tests. The software, which is being developed at Nintendo HQ in Kyoto, will use the DS to provide spoken explanations of the artwork, and show detailed pictures of the art on the DS screen. While viewing the art on the DS screen may seem to defeat the purpose of going to an art gallery, visitors will be able to use the touch-pen to zoom in on any area of the piece for a closer look--a useful feature if the art happens to be behind glass or otherwise inaccessible to close inspection. The first real test of the system will be conducted at an unspecified art exhibition in Tokyo next month.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/news_spots.html?type=news_spots&date=1160422369#6159502

First I've heard of this...at least it's better than the PSP UMD's that act as guides around cities :D I saw them in a Gamestop the other day. Just buy a feckin map and guide book for 30 euro less! :D

pixelmonk
10-10-2006, 05:32 PM
yeah not sure what the added value of using a DS for this. I guess it's another attempt for Nintendo to stand up and say "Hey.. I'm still around.. notice me!"

RuinedMessiah
10-10-2006, 10:07 PM
TROLL! Nintendo flaming TROLL who attempts to wrap up incecent Nintendo flaming as un-biased argument and opinion! TROLL!

What are we, 10? Tell you what. If Play-Yan (admittedly, not entirely Nintendo's fault considering it is still, technically, a GBA device, just packaged as "compatible with DS") and Opera worked the way promised, then I'd have more faith in a fully interactive art gallery. But considering the chugs I got on even GameFAQs, I can't imagine the online content being consistant enough to be worth the effort. Now if it's cartridge based, that begs the question of how niche a market are they aiming for with this.

First I've heard of this...at least it's better than the PSP UMD's that act as guides around cities :D I saw them in a Gamestop the other day. Just buy a feckin map and guide book for 30 euro less! :D

Let me get this straight, despite the fact that Sony is hyping the upcoming GPS add-on for PSP, they are already selling maps to major cities? And I thought Talkman was a worthless app.

Bonedaddy
10-11-2006, 05:27 AM
yeah not sure what the added value of using a DS for this. I guess it's another attempt for Nintendo to stand up and say "Hey.. I'm still around.. notice me!"

I know the situation in the US is quite different, but here in Japan, there are two major consoles: the PS2 and the DS. And the PS2 is old.

When I go to the local 7-11, I see them selling DS games and DVDs. Not UMDs or PS2 games.

When I go to my local electronic store, I see ads for the Wii. I`ve yet to see any PS3 stuff, even in Akihabara.

When I whip out my DS to translate some kanji, my kids all freak out. They then inevitably make comments like `I wish I had a DS. The PSP is so uncool.`

Yes, Nintendo is still around. In a big way.

Squash-n-Stretch
10-11-2006, 01:17 PM
I know the situation in the US is quite different, but here in Japan, there are two major consoles: the PS2 and the DS. And the PS2 is old.

When I go to the local 7-11, I see them selling DS games and DVDs. Not UMDs or PS2 games.

When I go to my local electronic store, I see ads for the Wii. I`ve yet to see any PS3 stuff, even in Akihabara.

When I whip out my DS to translate some kanji, my kids all freak out. They then inevitably make comments like `I wish I had a DS. The PSP is so uncool.`

Yes, Nintendo is still around. In a big way.

QFA. The DS and it's second incarnation are frikkin huge in Japan. And judging by the fact that in college right now and there are a large number playing Mario Kart DS link up...it's fairly big in Europe too.

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2006, 01:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.