PDA

View Full Version : Eon (Trailer) Entry: Jesse Sandifer

Sandpiper
10-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Jesse Sandifer is entered in the "Eon Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/eon/view_entries.php?challenger=12066)

Latest Update: Edited storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: 3D previz
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/16/12066/12066_1163687438_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4009656#post4009656)

click to play video :)

Sandpiper
10-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Looking forward to this one everyone! It should be a learning experience. The film trailer sounded like the most appropriate effort since it will truly suggest the story, emotion, and visual interpretation of the novel itself.

I'm getting the book today and will read the whole thing while we start getting some designs started.

Claireabella
10-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the trailer challenge. Good luck and enjoy! :thumbsup:

Sandpiper
10-17-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm at about page 275 in the book now....starting to do sketches of some of the key spots in the book I want to feature in the trailer....more to come later.....

Gotta lot of regular work going on at the same time here so be patient with me! :)

Sandpiper
11-01-2006, 04:24 PM
All right, I'm finally done with the book. I've been reading it when I have time amidst work and family time. Both very important. :)

So now concepts, storyboards, designs, etc will start flowing out of me....I hope.

Sandpiper
11-08-2006, 05:17 AM
....ok, I'm getting more inspiration as I go here. So many ideas so little time to waste. I've been looking through a bunch of different trailers of previous movies for reference. I think I'm getting somewhere as far as the intro goes and once I actually start storyboarding some of these ideas out, I'll post em......

Also, need to get started in participating and commenting on others' threads to stay involved in the challenge more.

More to come

Sandpiper
11-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Ok, here's the rough script that will be going along with visual ties in the trailer. Next step is the storyboard so everyone can understand the whole piece. Who knows maybe it's too long or biting off more than I can chew, but it's at least a start.....

Patricia: We did all this?
Pilot: No honey. It was here already.

Pilot: Promise us someday, youíll tell us what the hell happened up here.
Patricia: Why do you think theyíll tell me?
Pilot: Why donít you know? Youíre going to save our collective hide.

Patricia: These are history books about a future, but not necessarily our own?
Lanier: Weíre not certain that itís from our future. It may not be from our universe.
Patricia: But the situations these books describeóthey sound like whatís happening on Earth now, donít they?
Lanier: Yes.
Patricia: So thatís why Iím hereÖto help you figure out how similar the universes might be to decide whether weíre going to have a catastrophic war on EarthÖ.in less than a month.

Patricia: Do they know, down there?
Lanier: Eleven people know, here and there. Can you help?
Patricia: Iím supposed to prevent this? How? What the hell can I do?!
Lanier:I donít know what any of us can do.
Patricia: But the Stone can change things. Itís the crucial difference. Isnít it?

Sandpiper
11-08-2006, 10:57 PM
I've been thinking about the scope of the script I just posted and what that means as far as how much visuals I would have to create. And yeah, it's too much. :)

Originally, my concept was:

Act I: Three 1 second pulses of action to black screen of Patricia getting ready to witness Thistledown for the first time and then holding on a big dramatic slo-mo pan reveal from ground level, standing in the archway of the tunnel, looking out at Thistledown (2-3 sec).

"We did all this?"

Low bassy percussive hits in the music.

Act II: The rest of the script (up till and including "I don't know what any of us can do") goes along with short clips of various moments in the story that accompany the voiceover. (i.e. Library scene, the Death, Seventh Chamber, Exterior shots, etc)

Tempo of the music picks up, more instruments and voices start layering in to a big crescendo right before the "I don't know what any of us can do" line - which is just silent

Act III: Big music hit here with slow motion mixedepic shots of environments, mysterious characters like the Frants, Olmy, fast moving transportation, etc. leading up to the last line:

"The Stone can change things. It's the crucial difference.......Isn't it?"

Then some kind of closing image.

Now I don't know about you, but that's a lot of crap to do in two months or whatever. Even if I didn't have a real life, it'd be a lot. I don't really have a team of people and plus, I don't have much time to manage a team.....sooooo.....I was thinking I could get away with doing more of a teaser trailer with a lot less voiceover, but still have some killer visuals. Just not as much. :)

So here's more along the lines of what I think will work better for the amount of time I have (may hurt my chances at winning, but then again, maybe it'll make it better).

Just using this part of the script with the same sequence of visuals as before (just less):

Patricia: We did all this?
Pilot: No. It was here already.

Pilot: Promise us youíll tell us what the hell happened up here.
Patricia: Why do you think theyíll tell me?
Pilot: Why donít you know? Youíre going to save our collective hide.

Patricia: The Stone can change things. Itís the crucial difference. Isnít it?

Seems like I'm missing stuff now or it just has that big hole feeling though....

Thoughts anyone???

M-Saber
11-09-2006, 06:20 PM
I think if you're gonna use some words from only 2 situations, combined with more scenes of course, Then you should use less words from the 1st dialog between Patrecia & the pilot. As you've already used only one phrase from the 2nd situation. Also think more of the scenes you'll be shoting while hearing those voices.

Best of Luck

Sandpiper
11-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Yeah, you're right. I need to revisit the wordage. It's very difficult because I want to be sure I'm not copying anyone else's ideas or concept.

MAYBE, I shouldn't even use much wordage at all. Just have some nice visuals, and then a line spoken vague and intriguing like:

"The Stone can change things........... It's the crucial difference................ Isn't it?

so I could make that the closing statement. kinda drawn out to make it a little lengthier than just a plain statement. Ok, I'm gonna run with this.....

I gotta start visualizing!!! I'm sure that's why I'm not getting much response. No eye candy yet. :)

Sandpiper
11-10-2006, 11:50 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/16/12066/12066_1163202623_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/16/12066/12066_1163202623_large.jpg)

This is my first idea for the beginning of the teaser. It's meant to be a pulse thing. I'm not sure how fast it will pulse, but just enough to keep it moving. Anyway, the rest of the storyboard will come later on. Just wanted to get some visuals up. Real rough quality stuff.....

fifty3dragons
11-12-2006, 12:33 AM
Nice boards. I think they're a good start. They suggest a certain rhythm and mood. I've actually checked out this thread a couple of times now and was in the middle of responding to one of your earlier script post but got sidetracked and never finished. Whoops :shrug:

I think you've got a good idea about cropping things down if you're worried about your overall time. The first rough script did feel a little bit long on narration to me, not so much the overall amount but some of the individual lines felt a bit on the long side. But then again it depends on the sort of pacing for the trailer you have in mind too, I think.

But I think you're plan of going with a shorter version which is nevertheless based on the longer one should work great, because then if you finish that portion and find you have lots of time left you can easliy lengthen it out to your longer vision.

Anyway, great to see another entry off and running. I'll keep checking back for updates. Hope that helps a bit. Just one person's opinion, of course. :)

Sandpiper
11-12-2006, 04:22 AM
Hey fifty3. Thanks for the fine crit. I'm right on with the lengthy text that you talked about. I was being a bit ambitious and wanted to do something huge. But of course, time is running out and I just need to tone it down a bit. So now, I'll just be happy if I can take what I've boarded so far to final. We'll see how it goes!

Sandpiper
11-16-2006, 01:50 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/16/12066/12066_1163641830_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/16/12066/12066_1163641830_large.jpg)

Software: 3ds max

This is a test of the cgchallenge uploader thing. I've already posted this image before but I just did it as an official milestone. I've got a preview video that's slightly different than this board, but I'll have to post that later on......

OZ
11-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Ok...:)
SO we can wait for new stuff? the table you post looks great and make me think that you can done a good job...so im curious to see more.

Sandpiper
11-16-2006, 02:30 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/16/12066/12066_1163687438_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/16/12066/12066_1163687438_large.jpg)

Software: 3ds max

This is in essence the mood and rhythm I'm going for. I've used a couple of audio cuts from the movie, The Abyss. These are just to set a mood for the visuals temporarily. I've already got a guy lined up to write the music for this and it'll be along the same flavor. So all original music will be in there. The biped is Patricia and there's been no animation work done on her yet except for some placeholding footsteps. It'll be all custom animation in the end.

I've been told by one of my peers that it's too simple, but heck it's about 45 seconds already. Plus, I won't have a whole lotta of time to do more than this scope.....

anyway, more to come.....any crit would be super now that I'm getting some visuals for everyone to see.

Play Video >> (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/eon/player.php?entry_id=74518)

Galaktor
11-16-2006, 04:35 PM
It really is simple, but that makes it very teaser-like, so that does not have to be bad. If you stick to "just" this, then you're whole teaser will depend on three elements:

- the amazingness of the city
- the music
- the logo

If those three things kick ass, I think it would work out pretty good. It also does not give you that much of room for missing the target. Well, that's just my humble opinion.

Sandpiper
11-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah, since I don't have much time in my schedule I had to make it teaser like instead. What also will help this be a success is if I do a good character as well! :)

I agree though, the music is vital to this one working.....

fifty3dragons
11-16-2006, 05:06 PM
I think you've done a great job here of compacting an epic story into an intriguing teaser. I thought the music had just the right flavour (I know you've got something original in the works, but along the same lines), the overall pacing was good, and between the text and visuals I think you create enough interest to grab a viewer's attention. And the great part is you've come up with a realistic project for the time you feel you have to work on it (whereas people such as myself may run into potential problems on that end :) ).

I'd say if you're happy, run with it.

Sandpiper
11-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks fifty3. The last month or so I've been really trying to figure out a way I can do this all the way to final. I don't want my holidays to be stressed with pressures of cranking out a miracle project. Of course, in my mind I still have "eons" left to go to get there. The last challenge I finished was Machineflesh and it took a toll on the family life....so I gotta keep it realistic but satisfying at the same time....

opentarget
11-18-2006, 12:10 PM
this is looking great, i love your comparison to the abyss as when i was reading eon i couldnt get the abyss out of my head specifically the colour schems used in the movie. great work mate keep it coming!

Cofiction
11-29-2006, 02:11 AM
Very nicely thought out, simple but to the point!
Well working scenes (not sure about the ending with the title, tho).
Anyway this is very potent stuff your on about - I kinda like the pulse - proper teaser feel. :thumbsup:

Sandpiper
11-29-2006, 02:33 AM
Hey thanks for the crits! I also am unsure about that ending title.....I just liked the idea of showing some hint of the outside of the Stone at the end to further intrigue the potential audience. Perhaps the end title needs to be more mysterious instead of a big hit? .... more to come later on.... regular work has taken over my last couple weeks too :(

OZ
11-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Simple but working very well...i agree Galaktor words about the teaser like style!:thumbsup:

Sandpiper
12-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Ok, so I've made a big decision and that's to go ahead and drop out of the contest here. :shrug:

Many reasons why, but mainly it's a time issue in relation to running a company. I've got a animated short I'm trying to finish up for a bunch of festivals next year and that's going to have to take precedence over a challenge (even though it's a great challenge). So my limited free time will have to go to the short. :D

So, good luck to everyone still staying strong and finishing this thing up. We're already seeing some great competitors step up to the plate and I'm sure the winners will be amazing! I'll keep looking in the final weeks...... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fifty3dragons
12-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Hey, sorry to hear you won't be able to stay. You had a really promising entry here. But we all have to keep our priorities in check, and it's good you know what yours are. And there are certainly worse things than having too much work to choose from, eh? :)

Best of luck with the animated short you're working on. Take the festival circuit by storm!

Sandpiper
12-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Hey thanks for the kind words fifty3. I was hoping to at least get the previz out of my mind and into the computer so I at least got that done. It was a great exercise for sure!

And yeah, I hope the short is a success and brings some attention to our studio. :)

Best of luck in the challenge dude!!

Cofiction
12-13-2006, 10:20 PM
I was really looking forward to see your finished piece.

Well, another time will come, I'm sure of it.
I'm also a big fan of priorities, so yours is a good choise.
The very best of luck for the festivals ahead! :thumbsup:
Have a great New Year!!

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2006, 10:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.