PDA

View Full Version : Time-Slice Matrix effect with arriflex 435?

tweaker
02-03-2003, 12:50 PM
What if I use a arriflex 435 35mm camera that can shoot up to 150 frames a second and I rig this camera zo it goes in 1,5 sec around a falling person (or what ever) can I simulate the time-slice effect this way'??? atleast a little?

You will still see the person moving a little, but this will be a cool side-effect.

Please give me input...

thanx...

Tweaker

Hugh
02-03-2003, 07:14 PM
In The Matrix, the people weren't entirely still - they were still moving slightly...

The way you are suggesting doing it is how it was often done before - a high speed camera moving along a track....

tweaker
02-03-2003, 07:40 PM
So basicly if I was 8 years earlier I just invented the timeslice effect :-)

Thanx for the input

Milo FX
02-04-2003, 03:35 AM
The basic idea behind the time-slice(or Time Track invented by Dayton Taylor) is to separate the timelines of the camera and the object movements.
For clearly understanding that idea, the one use to understand the concept of the slow motion. In slow motion effect, we speed up the camera frame rate for slowdown the object movement. So theoricaly, for a total freezeness of an object, we need to set the frame rate to infinity. And same time if we like a camera movement, the speed of the camera itself must be infinite too.
The time track camera system could make possible this effect because it is everywhere in same time, in other word it moves in infinite speed...

When you try to make a camera movement with 150 fps with a 435 or somthing else, you will see that your speed of traveling will slowdown too because the slowmo theorie says that if you speed up the frame rate, your object motion will slowdown proportionally. You must separate the frame rate and camera movement for a time-slice effect...

tweaker
02-04-2003, 08:37 AM
I know that the original effect is done with alot of camera's like for every degree 1.

But with a highspeed camera this effect can be done to, not as good as the matrix but good enough for this tight budget.

thanx for the input guys!

Tweaker

jayrtfm
02-05-2003, 08:10 AM
So.... if the camera is to be 8 feet from the subject then you will be having a camera whizzing around a 16 foot diameter circle at 50 RPM???

Have you looked into buying a gross of cheap 35mm film cameras ?

It may be worthwhile to get 1 megapixel cameras, then when all the shoots are done recover most of your cost via ebay.

Milo FX
02-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Again you can not simulate the time slice effect with a slow motion camera. I belive that you understand how did they make the effect in Matrix but please try to visualise two different theorie in your mind. For turning around an object in aprox normal speed of camera and slow motion in object, you need a powerful rocket system and I havent speak about the motion blur yet...

jayrtfm
02-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Milo FX
For turning around an object in aprox normal speed of camera and slow motion in object, you need a powerful rocket system and I havent speak about the motion blur yet...

Motion blur can be eliminated by using a fast shutter speed.
Rockets aren't nessesary, a decent go-kart engine should do it if it has enough time to get up to speed.

Interpolation is probably good enough to effectivly double the speed.

yes, you wouldn't be able to freeze something that's moving fast, but this could be effective on something that doesn't have much movement.

MY point is that by the time a platform is built that can move a camera fast enough, you'd be better off having built a multiple camera system.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.