PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming for the Collaborative Team Projects forum's mascot

unLevel
02-03-2003, 11:49 AM
Ok, let's just forget that the poll ever happened...ok?

Those of you who actually help other out down here, what do think would be the epitome of group work?

A giant robot artist being run by hundreds of little people?
A "team" of monsters with jerseys?

Just tell me what, and if ANYONE who can draw help out with concept work, everyone would greatly appreciate it.

boywonder
02-05-2003, 06:02 AM
Poll? What poll? :rolleyes:

Well, I can't help with the artistic side, but I still have to tell my opinion. The mascot thingy should have the "idea of collaborativeness". That "A 'team' of monsters with jerseys?" could be good.

Another idea was that what if there were two monsters who were handshaking each other? One big and one small maybe?

Hopefully this group work for the mascot happens because if we can't have cooperativeness in this little task how the heck there can be any "Collaborative team projects" :wip:

unLevel
02-05-2003, 12:11 PM
Ok, 2 monsters or whatnot shaking hands?

Maybe both of them like working on computers, then turn and give each other a hi five?

Don't know, though, but I open to anything...

I don't know whose running the show down here, we have no mod, thusly no leader, oh, well...

Whatever you guys want to do is fine with me, I'll crawl back to the shadows for awhile...

boywonder
02-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Well, you lead the show of course :applause:

But - I'm no artist - I just throw something what comes to my mind :bounce:

So... two whatnots if okay to me - but I thought they don't need a computer - handshaking is enough (or high five). that way it won't go to complex.

or maybe the logo could be like this: :beer:

unLevel
02-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Ok, so neither of us are very artistic, yet we have good ideas...hmm...

So why don't me and you do it?

I mean, what better way to learn?

Ok, it has to have somethign to do with art, cause this is a art forum after all...

Hmm....maybe shaking hands after recieving an award? Or a :beer: while watching their short animation on TV? Not sure what to do, though I think if we can get 2 really nifty characters, (or a team of cool characters, with the jersey idea) we can find someone around here to animate.

Ok, we now know:

1. We want more than one "whatnot" to serve as mascots.
2. ....

Rice ManX
02-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Hmm well im willing to do some work modelling, maybe some texturing like i said before. Im still interested i just havn't seen very much happening in here:scream: Ahhm i dunno scary monsters ? il see if i can't get a wip or somthing for you by tonight (not sure tho i have school AND i have togoto work!!!!:annoyed: ) i was thinking a big fat looking monster guy, you know, like "Massive BOB" (i wrote a story for that too if u want to read it?) then the little guy, i keep getting the Sloth from Ice Age stuck in my head, he seems like the perfect guy. SOOOO maybe il start on somthing today after schooling. Then when i get back from work round 9:40 pm :wavey: cya round

unLevel
02-05-2003, 05:00 PM
Maybe the mascot idea wasn't so good after all?

I mean, whose to say that some guy's idea is better than another's?

I don't know, we've got like 3 or 4 ideas for the mascot floating around, all of which sound great...

Hmm...the whole reason I started this mascot thing was because Flog wanted us to start on a small project that would look good and be simple to begin with.

We just wanted something that would have lots of eye candy so one of the mods (speaking of which we don't have one here, so we'd have to get another mod to do it, though I think Kirt wouldn't mind) to put it on the main page so we could get people browsing this forum more often..

I dunno, would you guys rather do a "20 awesome monsters" like the cyborg thread, so we could all have all sorts of monsters?

And maybe put the monsters up as free models for d/l? I don't know anymore what to do, so I don't know what to say really.

Both of your ideas are great sounding to me...

You guys just wait until I learn a 3d program, I'll do everone's ideas, I promise...until then, though, all I can offer is more ideas to add to the pile...

Rice ManX
02-05-2003, 05:19 PM
Im liking the idea that Boy Wonder put up, and hell i don't mind if im the only one working on it!! itl just take a little bit more time. And once Kirt's project has some substantial stuff to show (ie front page material ;) ) that would also attract attention to this forum, the main thing is to not give up!!! cya guys round.

unLevel
02-05-2003, 11:10 PM
Ok, let's go with his idea, but one thing: do his team jersey thing for it, ok, just bear with me:

Ok, here's the scene: 2 teams with jerseys (monsters, whatnots, etc) shaking hands after a "match" much like basketball...

Their jerseys say "concept art, animator, modeller, etc.."

Ok, I don't know what possessed me, I just thought such a scene might look cool...

Whatever you guys want to do is fine with me, I might can attempt drawing something for it, just give me some text concepts of what you want...

Kirt
02-05-2003, 11:35 PM
Here's my idea (as if you don't have enough already):

C, M, Y and K ... individually they are nice. However, combined they make the art brilliant and inspiring.

I'll try to do a concept for you, but as you already know, my plate is pretty full right now.

unLevel
02-06-2003, 12:40 AM
huh?

hehe...

Kirt, I know you're great at drawing, so I'll anxiously be awating your concepts...

Kirt
02-06-2003, 02:05 AM
I take it from your response that you are unaware that CMYK = cyan, magenta, yellow and black. The four colors used in the 4 color printing process. Individually they are just one color, but combined they make up all the colors of the spectrum.

I thought it was a good idea for co-lab mascots. :shrug:
I have some ideas already on what they'll look like. I'll doodle them up at work during my slow time tonight. Tomorrow they should be here for your viewing pleasure. :D

boywonder
02-06-2003, 04:41 AM
jersey's weren't my idea. I wanted "two whatnots handshaking"
:bounce:

tha CMYK thing has nice idea behind it - although I doubt that people understand that... still - who am I to say anything if I can't model a thing.

I like the idea of one huge monster and one tiny monster (as Rice ManX said exactly what I had in my mind) handshaking.

Kirt
02-07-2003, 01:53 AM
Here's the first concept of the CMYK gang.

http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/temp/CMYK.jpg

Kirt
02-07-2003, 01:55 AM
... and here is the weapon of robot Y. Each robot will have a different weapon. What do you think?

http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/temp/Y-gun.jpg

unLevel
02-07-2003, 02:59 AM
hehe, NICE concept, Kirt....

I'm all for it...:buttrock:

Rice ManX
02-08-2003, 05:56 AM
Ok Kirt, Unlevel, ive already started the Magenta bot, so tomarrow when i get more done il show u what i got just so we can get this started. I have work over the weekend :scream:

Wildfire
02-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Hi

Does anybody mind if I have a shot at the black bot?

Rice ManX
02-08-2003, 04:52 PM
Nope go for it, ive already started on the Magenta Bot.

Zmei
02-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Nice Concept, Simple but good looking.
I will see What I can do with it, since I'm no expert modeler (nor anything).

Cheers
Luis R. Lobo

Zmei
02-08-2003, 11:48 PM
My First preview is out, it isnt rigged, nor textured but gives a nice Idea of what it will become.

Let me know what you guys Think

http://zmei.no.sapo.pt/cmyk/cmykblackbot.jpg
http://zmei.no.sapo.pt/cmyk/cmykblackbot2.jpg
http://zmei.no.sapo.pt/cmyk/cmykblackbot3.jpg

Try now

Catch you guys later.
Luis R. Lobo

Rice ManX
02-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Hmm can't view the images

boywonder
02-09-2003, 05:14 AM
Zmei: hey, neat model :)

Rice ManX
02-09-2003, 07:40 AM
Hmm pretty good start, the feet need alot of work, they dont look right at all. But like i said good start so far.

Wildfire
02-10-2003, 04:49 PM
D*mn! I've been away from the net for a couple of days at work, didn't know somebody else started the black bot!

Anyway here's my offering, the hands need a lot of work as do the feet, only a little time spent on it so far. i'll probably do the fine lines with bumpmap as with some of the shading.

Maybe I'll do a different bot as someones already done the black one.

Wildfire
02-10-2003, 04:49 PM
D*mn! I've been away from the net for a couple of days at work, didn't know somebody else started the black bot!

Anyway here's my offering, the hands need a lot of work as do the feet, only a little time spent on it so far. i'll probably do the fine lines with bumpmap as with some of the shading.

Maybe I'll do a different bot as someones already done the black one.

Wildfire
02-10-2003, 04:59 PM
Sorry about the multiplemessage thing with different pics, it wasn't my fault honest! But umm.... yeah that is my effort, someone thell me if I should carry on with it or start the C bot?

Rice ManX
02-10-2003, 05:05 PM
thats pretty good looking Wild Fire! i havn't had a chance yet to work on mine yet, but when i do il postup some updates.

Wildfire
02-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Ok, anybody done anymore work for this?

Rice ManX
02-17-2003, 03:13 PM
No i havn't been able to do any work on the computer lately, sorry. SOon though :)

Zmei
02-17-2003, 09:01 PM
I have optimized the char, but since I lack the time to work on it, not much to show for now.
Maybe somewhere around this week I'll post something

Regards.

Luis R. Lobo

augustus
02-24-2003, 11:44 AM
how about some kind of toy consists different parts stitched up? something like that:

lipstreamer
03-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Sounds great. I wonder if I could join in. I can't do much of modeling but my pencil is sharper than the mind :). No, not really. But what about the other team (if there is one). I wonder if it could have been(is going to be) a match btwn the brutes and the clever ones. Dunno really, just pouring things in.Anyway nice thing going on, keep it rokkin'. :beer:

unLevel
03-03-2003, 04:18 PM
Hey, you're a good draw, eh?

I wish I could draw, got more ideas than you could shake a stick at

*waves stick around menancingly*

I'm not much of a modeler, just generally creative person with TONS of ideas...

unLevel
03-03-2003, 04:23 PM
Maybe you'd like to show me some work, I'd be really glad to look at it, and maybe drool some...

I don't know where the 2 modelers went to, but I'm trying to learn modeling and drawing, so I'll be able to help out more than just provide ideas...

Maybe

Brassfire
03-03-2003, 08:52 PM
CMYK is just an art thing.

Before deciding on a mascot, the best thing is to decide on the focus. Is the focus collaboration or art? Or collaboration ON art? Is it only visual art (CMYK would be appropriate) or "the arts" (CMYK is only a small part of what makes up the arts)... etc.

Co Labs = collabs = collaborations

Instead of CMYK, you could have a small team of the muses of different arts. Art, Writing, Music? More?

Possibilities:
Writing - small gnomelike creature with a keyboard across the shirt (keyboard would make it the section for programming too, if we're talking the "game arts" as well)
Art - colourful monster, furry but with robot bits and a palette on the shirt
Music - A fairylike woman with a dress made out of flowing fabric with staves and notes and beats on it, a volume graph on the chest, has headphones

Or focus on Film - Games - Visual Arts.

What do you think?

Wildfire
03-03-2003, 09:37 PM
I am still here!! Just very busy at the moment, trying to learn 3D max in time for my new job.

unLevel
03-03-2003, 10:00 PM
I like your ideas, Brassfire, and I think you could really be onto something......

forgive me for ranting, brainstorming here....

seperate all collabers into groups: writing, concept artists, modelers, texturers, animators, ect...

Have an original idea (I'm sure they'll be tons in the brainstorming sections...) and have the groups "adopt" the project, and follow through with it...all the way, baby!!

Possibly to escape the monotony of art (like that would ever happen!!) we could have "masters" within each group, and have the non-masters rotate groups like every 6 months or so, and have the "masters" teach them....

Oh, well, this is just some thoughts....that's about all I have nowadays is ideas, and no follow through....sorry....

EDIT: what is CMYK?

unLevel
03-03-2003, 10:04 PM
oh, btw, Kirt, since you're the mod, would you like to kinda be supervisor to make decisions on things that would possibly affect this forum, like the mascot?

I personnally like your designs, but there's been several other ideas for mascots made...

Should we make another poll?

What are your thoughts?

Does this forum NEED a mascot?

Or make all of the mascot model ideas, and offer them as a set of free models as publicity?

boywonder
03-04-2003, 12:20 PM
ah, nice to see this thread alive. How about making several mascot candidates and pick one of them?

I like the _idea_ which augustus has (check his attachment).

multiple creature parts in one creature.

augustus
03-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Thanks boywonder. I didn't model my sketch, but it's not too hard, maybe i try this evening.

unlevel-> CMYK: Cyan Magenta Yellow blacK, some kind of color model (subtractive colors, right?), if this is what you asked.

augustus
03-04-2003, 09:59 PM
Here is a half hour work.

Edit: Just a few new parts and a better render.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.