PDA

View Full Version : GI exclusion set- how to add objects??

Martin Kay
10-09-2006, 10:25 AM
The manual doesn't explain how to actually add an object to the GI exclusion set. I'm finding that very high sampling settings are required to even approach getting a smooth lighting on ceilings, where other parts of the scene render just fine with much, much lower settings, so I though the answer is to exclude it and light it seperately.
Thanks in advance!

Martin K

halfworld
10-09-2006, 11:20 AM
This is covered in the manual under selection sets.

To cut to the quick:

Select the objects you want to be in the set
Go Select > By Set > New Set
Enter a name

And you're done.

Go to the GI window and you can now select the set from the drop-down menu. You can edit a set at any point by using the 'edit set' menu choice instead of 'new set'.

Just to double check, a very high sampling setting is 2x2 or 4x4, not 16x16 or 32x32. This trips up a lot of people because it's a very badly named parameter (it should be named GI Sampling Area, not level). Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!

Ian

Martin Kay
10-09-2006, 11:26 AM
This is covered in the manual under selection sets.

To cut to the quick:

Select the objects you want to be in the set
Go Select > By Set > New Set
Enter a name

And you're done.

Go to the GI window and you can now select the set from the drop-down menu. You can edit a set at any point by using the 'edit set' menu choice instead of 'new set'.

Just to double check, a very high sampling setting is 2x2 or 4x4, not 16x16 or 32x32. This trips up a lot of people because it's a very badly named parameter (it should be named GI Sampling Area, not level). Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!

Ian

Thanks for that info Ian! No you're not teaching me to suck eggs! :-)

Martin K

manuel
10-09-2006, 11:31 AM
One more thing. If you make a selection set while the GI window is open, the drop-down menu may not show your new selection set until you close the GI window and open it again.

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2006, 11:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.