PDA

View Full Version : MTV:Dark Crystal' Sequel Gives Jim Henson's Puppet Epic A Second Chance

ParamountCell
10-09-2006, 11:01 AM
http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1542247/10032006/story.jhtml

CaptainObvious
10-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Interesting. I think it will be horrible, but that might just be the cynic in me speaking.

DrEvilBear
10-09-2006, 01:13 PM
don't be so quick to dismiss this and be cynical - this could be a truly amazing release - and i really hope so!

they are coming from a 'sincere' point of view, working with Henson's daughter and the original designers etc - hopefully they won't let cg augmentation take over too much.

I personally can't wait.

quyeno
10-09-2006, 03:10 PM
this is awesome news. CG will enhance the show but to be honest the puppets were so good in the original movie, there isn't much need for CG :)

Intervain
10-09-2006, 03:34 PM
I sincerily hope it will be good, being a fan of Jen's adventures myself, but in all honesty I fail to see a point in reinventing great old stories instead of coming up with something new that'd be truly magnificent... or is that no longer possible?!

P_T
10-09-2006, 03:41 PM
hmm... I'm not too sure about this film. Same goes with Arthur and the Invisibles. It's just a personal thing but I don't particularly find the characters faces to be aesthetically pleasing.

Another thing is, if this is done with puppetry I'll probably pass, CG augmented or not. I love stop-motion movies like the Corpse Bride but I can't stand those string human puppets, they freak me out. :argh:

scrimshaw1803
10-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Given the people behind it, it may be a worthy successor to the first one. Luckily, they mention "subtle" cg augmentation. I think the less cg in this film the better, just like Tim Burton's stop motion films. There is no need for cg in those either.

But I probably won;t like the film because I didn;t like the original. Technically it was amazing but those puppets were soooo freaky to me as a 10 year old that I couldn't get past the disturbing imagery.

Not to criticize the brilliance of jim henson, but his designs had a very disturbing aesthetic quality to them, at least to me. I felt just as freaked out by Labyrinth. Heck, even some of the muppets were too freaky.

But just because his work doesn't appeal to me doesn't mean I can't appreciate it.

ParamountCell
10-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Technically it was amazing but those puppets were soooo freaky to me as a 10 year old that I couldn't get past the disturbing imagery.

Not to criticize the brilliance of jim henson, but his designs had a very disturbing aesthetic quality to them, at least to me. I felt just as freaked out by Labyrinth. Heck, even some of the muppets were too freaky.

lol yea I understand you, I loved starwars but Chewbacca used to scare the living daylights out of me.

Derrik
10-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Most of the designs came from Brian Froud who did much if the conceptual work in The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, and i think The Jim Henson Hour when HBO played desent programs. Froud does have a strange dark side to his art work. I personally like it myself, it is kind of comical as well with the goblins especially for Labyrinth. There are many small storys hidden within his art. I liked most Jim Henson realated work. Too bad he passed away so early. Talent long lost. I grew up watching Fraggle Rock and The Muppet Show. I did not care for Mirror Mask, it was to Cirque du Soleil in substance and rather boring. Without henson at the helm i felt i was a dead film. I hear frank oz and the composer Trevor Jones will or might be involved. I liked the puppet work for what technology was available at the time 1982?. You just do not see that heart and soul work put into characters any more so i hope the CG in minimal and used cleaverly. Probably one my most fav early fantasy films besides Legend.

EnlightenedPixel
10-10-2006, 01:53 AM
lol yea I understand you, I loved starwars but Chewbacca used to scare the living daylights out of me.

Chewwie was a cudly teddy bear. Its that short thing that hung around Jabba the hutt that freaked me out. Looked like an evil rabbid muppet that had been left in a sewer and lost all its fuzz.

flawedprefect
10-10-2006, 06:01 AM
I am intrigued. The Dark Crystal was one of the films that most affected me as a kid. I hope the sequel produced will be a successful attempt at using the technology of today to realise the vision that we were meant to see on the screen.

I watched Mirrormask recently, produced by the Jim Henson Company, and was really disappointed. When scenes were created using CG, instead of making me feel like there were these immense worlds, I felt claustrophobic, like I was looking into a bubble with a cyclorama painted on the inside. And the overuse of procedural textures vs actual texture painting showed just how little money they had to work with.

I pray this exercise doesn't suffer the safe fate.

aaraaf
10-10-2006, 02:35 PM
The original is on my short list of perfect movies. There's nothing that could have really made it better, and it stands completely on its own. One of the all-time greatest uses of film as a language is when the two characters share their memories in the beginning. You just understand so quickly what's happening without useless and irritating over explanation.

This one's being directed by the Samurai Jack guy... he's exceptionally talented and has a strong understanding of film as a language. It's really easy to write off a lot of the strong shots in Samurai Jack as Manga influenced (and it is there) but he has an obvious love of intelligent and mood evoking films. I'm looking forward to this.

I'd still love to see the original tests that had no modern/real language.

CaptRuss
10-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Knee jerk response: OH GAWD NOT ANOTHER SEQUEL

then

upon reading about Genndy Tartakovsky's involvement I decided that I'd give this a chance. Honestly, he's not done one thing that I've not gotten a big thrill out of (Ok, I merely chuckled at Powerpuff Girls). It still gets an eye roll for "sequel 24 years later" though.

pearson
10-10-2006, 10:08 PM
It's obvious they just saw how much the first one made and decided to jump on the cash cow...oh, wait. :p

I was skeptical at first, but after reading the article, I'm rather hopeful the movie will be well done. I don't think that it will do well in theaters, however, because "puppets = kids" to too many people, and this film will be too dark for parents to accept as a kids film.

RobertoOrtiz
10-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Here are some storyboards:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30353

_R

Flog
10-11-2006, 05:44 PM
ummm Genndy Tartakovsky's Need we say more. Dexter's, Samurai Jack, Clone Wars?

This man knows action and knows how to have fun.

I'm looking forward to this with much anticipation.

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2006, 05:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.