PDA

View Full Version : z depth in ae

f_jo
02-03-2003, 09:29 AM
how to use this facility, I've posted about this at max forum... don't tell me to press f1 or find tuts on the net, I've done that, they don't give much information. First i have rendered 2 scene, and render the z depth element from max, but i don't know how to use these z depth images in AE. I've tried to render the scene into both .rpf & .rla, checked z channel, but when i extract the 3d channel in AE the color are still unlike when i render the element in max, so they still behave like layers. Please help me on this or perhaps any of you know tuts on how to use z map in AE? thanks in advance

tchook
02-03-2003, 12:30 PM
hi
i dont use zchanel with the 3d chanel plugs
this what you can do

make a comp the size u want
import your rgb layer
import your z (gray) layer
precomp the z layer
on the rgb layer select effect/ blur&sharpen/compound blur
set the blur layer to your z layer
adjust the amount of blur

be sure to be in best /full preset

but ther are other ways
you can have some plugin that work perfectly with the z chanel
simulating dof from a gray layer. you can set the blur aspect/ the shape of
the iris blade and even animate your dof
the best one is the true camera rackfocus by puffin design (pinnacle)
i think the foundry make one
and the isfx serie got one

hope that help

tchook
02-03-2003, 12:37 PM
oups
try this link to know all the major plug
http://nastev.hypermart.net/dv_links.html

f_jo
02-03-2003, 05:49 PM
thanks but that's not what i mean. Kinda like this : i have this animation scene, perhaps people and buildings in it, and the animation is camera rotating them, so in the animation sometimes some of the people are behind the buildings and some are in front, then couple of second later the people behind the buildings get in front the buildings, and vice versa. I need to render each group of objects separately so i have these two clips, one is the buildings clip and the other is the people clip, now how to compose them so they behave like they should? Masking is a way, but if the scene contains hundreds of objects there's no way i mask each object and keyframing those masks shape one by one right?

mikeboers
02-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Ok... I don't know specifically what to do for Max, but I do know how to do it wth C4D... so bear with me here.

Compose the whole scene to the point of rendering.

Assign 'Object buffers' to each object, and set the value of the buffer to the layer you wish to place the object on.

Render out all of the object buffers.

Render out each layer individually (turn off the rest of the objects).

Use the object buffer as a mask to obscure the fully rendered layers...

I think... Hope this helps at all. :beer:

f_jo
02-04-2003, 07:24 AM
thanks :) i havent tried it tho still need to find out how to do the same thing in max. I'll look up on the net what object buffer do in C4D.

mikeboers
02-04-2003, 11:55 AM
Oh, my bad... should have explained a bit more. :P

An object buffer is a mask, normally black, but pure white where that object affects the final image. ex) where the object is, through tranparencies, off of reflections...

f_jo
02-04-2003, 05:28 PM
ic... really thanks m8 :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.