PDA

View Full Version : my first attemp to make a matte painting

matrixreality
10-08-2006, 10:30 PM
hello it's my first attemp in matte painting
i use the tefernces in pic1
to make the result pic2
i dont know if this is the methode to make matte painting or not.
thank's .

pic1 : references
http://membres.lycos.fr/geometrix/cgtalk1.jpg

pic2 ; result

http://membres.lycos.fr/geometrix/oran2030.jpg

matrixreality
10-08-2006, 10:34 PM
i dont work the detail yet
i will do it when i have your reply and tell me what it good to do for giving better result.

JJASSO
10-09-2006, 12:11 AM
well matrixreality this is more of a collage photos than a matte painting,
first of all you have to make a grid for perspective so every element in the composition matches the vanishing point
second :you have to think about visual composition how to arrange the elements so this looks nice and your eye can fly trough the whole image
third: the colors does not match and are not photorealistic , see how everything you're working with has a warm susnet feeling all except the river it is too blueish
aereal perspective is needed as well
another important thing is scale in objects the big skyscrapers look weird because I can see the scale is bigger than the objects in foreground
you say this is not finished and the details in the elements edges are no cut well to match one composition
I really suggest you go to the tutorials section inside this matte painting forum and I'm sure you will learn lots of thing
linear perspective
aereal perspective
color palettes
visual composition
photoshop techniques
and many more things
I'm looking forward to see your work improvement good luck !

matrixreality
10-09-2006, 12:25 AM
thank you for the answers.
I will go te learn and read the tutorials I will post modifications later
thx for the reply jamesvfx

everlite
10-10-2006, 01:27 AM
Hey mate,

Well we all start somewhere and this a good start :thumbsup: The composition you have so far needs pulling together, the perspective is a little out which is the key to creating a believable matte.

Try taking the center skyscrapers out, for me they just don't sit very well, once you've done this you can build on something simple. Just trying comping together the river, sky and buildings to the right.

As suggested above please see the many tutorials posted elsewhere, theyreally are some great ones out there that pushed me in the right direction, adding to that take a look at other peoples work such as Dylan Cole and Chris stoski, they have great online portfolios that can offer some good inspiration. Above all keep trying, you'll learn new techniques the more you do, trust me in no time i'm sure we'll be seeing great things from you.

Take care - David. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2006, 01:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.