PDA

View Full Version : My very first model!

rinny8
10-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Here's the story: I've had no previous experience with 3D since a few days ago, but have always had a major interest in it. I decided to try it out, but was scared that it would take forever for me to learn. I bought a book on Maya from the bookstore which came with the free learning version and decided to try my hand at modeling something. I chose something low-poly figuring it would be an easy starting point. 3 days later of teaching myself the layout, here is the result. I'm actually REALLY suprised I was able to accomplish this much in just 3 days. I've gotten modeling down pretty well with just a few issues where my seams split open and leave ugly holes in the model (inner thigh of the legs and pelvis). I've finished the modeling except the hair and have starting texturing it, then will move on to rigging. I have no idea if I'm doing it in the right order so I would appreciate any help and suggestions on what I've done so far. I'm sure theres quite a lot to improve. thanks!

There we go I figured out how to attach the images. Heres the view from the front and back. Still trying to figure out how to change the background color to white. (And ignore the watermarks. They're very annoying but its the price of using a free learning version i guess.)

tin-tin
10-08-2006, 11:56 PM
I can't see the image

its good your learning 3d, i also learnt my stuff from books and the internet.

rinny8
10-09-2006, 12:37 AM
I can't seem to insert the images. When I click the insert image button it doesn't do anything but scroll me to the top of the page...

Guy In Rubber Suit
10-09-2006, 07:20 AM
For your first try at 3D, you seem to be off to a very good start. The more you do it, the more you'll learn some various techniques to make it easier for you and to become more aware of your mesh flow.

Keep going at it man!

dude5487
10-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Keep it up. Looking good!

benclark
10-09-2006, 09:28 AM
awesome stuff for your first model

If you want good crits to improve your models it is best to post a wireframe render so people can see your mesh flow, the easiest way is to use the vector renderer

Also if you plan to rig him this may not be the best position to model his legs in, but I suppose if you are working from a book then you're going off their blueprints

rinny8
10-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks I'll be sure to get up a wireframe soon. Im having problems attaching the parts though, because I mirror cutted each part of his body, theres a little mirror plane that appears down his center that attaches too. Then when I try to move it around the piece don't move in time with each other >_<.

btw I haven't even looked at the book once...I should prolly do that soon though hehe. I gotten this far just playing around buttons. Then I stumbled across the polygon creation tool and that made my life A LOT easier.

dude5487
10-09-2006, 09:44 PM
You said that your mesh has a lot of holes in it. Did you try using an instance instead of the mirror tool? An instance will copy from the original, and anything done to the original will be done to the duplicated copy.

Once you get that down. Go to Polygon -> Combine. This will make the instance and the original copy "one mesh". Make sure not to move your mesh or the copied mesh far from the center axis(point of origin). From there go to the Edit Polygon -> Merge Vertices. This should eliminate any holes.

Hope that helps.

If you need anything else let us know :)

rinny8
10-10-2006, 01:05 AM
awesome I''ll give it a try! Then I'll show you how the wireframes are once I get the holes filled in.

dude5487
10-10-2006, 03:17 AM
Sounds great. If you have any questions or need any help pm me or post here. Good luck! I look forward to seeing the finished product! :)

rinny8
10-11-2006, 03:11 AM
Ok heres my wireframe as of right now. I couldnt get the back because of the image planes I have and i can't seem to get rid of them either. Hope it still helps.

btw I would really appreaciate some texturing techniques. So far I've been trying it using the automatic mapping but I wind up painting on what looks like a big jig-saw puzzle. Also is there a way to add multiple textures to one polygon? I was thinking of maybe adding another texture layer to the chest as some chest armor, like an overlay. Thanks!

TychoCelchuuu
10-11-2006, 03:31 AM
You're progressing super fast for a new guy. A few tips:

To move the image planes, go to your perspective view and select one of them. Hit Ctrl + A to bring up the attribute editor. Scroll down until you see "Center X" "Center Y" and "Center Z." Change one or more of them until the plane is out of the way.

For unwrapping the UV's, automatic mapping is a tough way to do it. I recommend learning to unwrap on a much, MUCH simpler model first. Doing characters is about as hard as you can get. Make some a cube, or a cylinder, or a sword, or a gun, or something simpler like that, and try out planar mapping and cylindrical mapping until you're comfortable with that.

And finally, for overlaying textures, there's really no way to do that, but you could just paint on armor in the base texture, because nobody would ever see his bare chest anyways. You could save them as two seperate files if you don't want to lose the work you did on his chest.

rinny8
10-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the ideas! Cylindrical mapping llooks a lot easier so I'll try using that. I figured I'd have to paint the armor on the skin, but it doesn't really matter since he won't be wearing more than one set of armor.

Thanks again!

rinny8
10-12-2006, 01:23 AM
I think planar would be my best bet...but theres only one problem. When I take the UV snapshot, it only takes one half of the mesh. Is there a way to maybe take snapshots of both sides and combine them into one image plane map so that that it maps both the front and back? I'm not sure what to do.

nvm I figured it out! I just select all of the faces on the front side and planar map them, then do the same thing for the back side. Now I just need to figure out how to combine the two.

psychojohno
10-12-2006, 09:23 AM
i dunno what software your using but if its maya just select the faces on the back and planer map them then select the ones on the front and planer map them. The problem i think you will have with planer mapping the chest is stretching of the texture but you can fix this by just select the uvs that cant be seen clearly in the front view and moving them out so you have squares roughley the size of those on the model.

its a very good first model :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
10-12-2006, 09:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.