PDA

View Full Version : Battle Angel, Tariqr (2D)

tariqr
02-03-2003, 05:50 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/26821/tariqr_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/26821/tariqr.jpg)

Hi guys 'n' gals out there. This is a Painter and Photoshop pic I did of a babe in full power armour. This was originally an idea for a comic book heroin.

PsychedelicMind
02-03-2003, 06:22 AM
WOW... That's impressive! She looks so realistic (not to mention the lighting!)! The rusty look is really cool :D :drool:

megra
02-03-2003, 11:29 AM
eee! that rocks! however, if you ever go ahead with the comic idea, you might wanna change the "battle angel"--there's already a manga called battle angel alita, about a dark haired cyborg chick.

gnarlycranium
02-03-2003, 12:33 PM
She looks too.... friendly. You've got this wicked bloodied pointy suit of armor, attached to a cute little girl who looks like she doesn't even know she's wearing it. She needs that devilish gleeeem in her eyes.... :twisted:

PsychedelicMind
02-03-2003, 04:08 PM
sorry, just need to clarify: Is this fanart of Battle Angel Atila or an original idea of yours? :)

freddy7133d
02-03-2003, 06:31 PM
:eek: wow!
very cool pic!:thumbsup:
4star!:applause:

tariqr
02-03-2003, 09:50 PM
Hi Guys, a bit more clarification of this pic. THIS IS NOT A PIC OF "BATTLE ANGEL ALITA" I use the term "Battle Angel" in a very broad manner. "Battle" because she is in full armour and "Angel" because she looks so calm.

The heroin of my comic does not have a develish look because she is supposed to be a devine being.

To reiterate, this is not a picture of the Manga comic "Battle Angel Alita". and nor was it inspired by that. :)

wildsheepchase
02-03-2003, 09:54 PM
Great pic! Only crit I have is that I would rather see the armor cover her head...the hairstyle just don't seem to fit with the armor. However, that's probably more of a personal preference than anything else. You did a really excellent job:thumbsup:

SheepFactory
02-03-2003, 11:13 PM
Its stunningly beautiful. how long did it take you to paint this?

:love:

The Magic Pen
02-03-2003, 11:25 PM
I dont like the rustyness of the armor ..but hey I love soreyama ..anyways awesome work !!! :applause:

ASCIISkull
02-03-2003, 11:26 PM
That's a great image! Do you have a higher resolution version we could see? I really love the detail and the metal texture.
Two tiny little things: The shoulder spikes look like they'd interfere with the tube coming from her head, and the elbow joint looks a bit unwieldy. Those really don't detract from the picture at all, but just my impressions...
How long did it take?

MosaFacku
02-03-2003, 11:33 PM
congrats, you just earned a spot on my desktop.

:xtreme:

mash
02-03-2003, 11:51 PM
:applause: awe$ome :applause:

Would love to see a high rez version of it! :thumbsup:

Sleepless
02-04-2003, 12:07 AM
Suhweet! Nice blend of color on the armor. The technique looks like watercolor.

Skullkid
02-04-2003, 12:12 AM
Amazing. This reminds me a little bit of Metroid's female heroine - Samus.

Very cool with excellent exection. Like others that have already posted, I'd love to see a high resolution picture. The original resolution would be very nice to see. :beer:

DOOMNINJA
02-04-2003, 01:06 AM
Wow, thats some great work. Only crit i have (and this is ME - so insert grain of salt here -->) is that the feet seem a bit to small. Its probably just me though, like most things. Take ninjas for example. Err.. yeah.

In a word, Excelent.:bounce:

-Doom

P.S. Hey, it looks like you may have lost some detail due to compression, or maybe its just the picture style, i dunno. Whatever the case, do you have a link to a higher resolution picture, or could you send me one to my email? that would be rad! Thanks.

platypus
02-04-2003, 01:49 AM
beatuiful rust! :bounce:

That Adrian Guy
02-04-2003, 02:28 AM
Very nice! I agree about the jpeg artifacts though.

extra points for originality though, keep it up!

yellowworm
02-04-2003, 02:34 AM
by far the best thing i've ever seen posted here!
she's beautiful!

thank you...wow...i'm inspired!

BishopLynx
02-04-2003, 04:06 AM
amazing...truly amazing.

HapZungLam
02-04-2003, 04:36 AM
this is the best design i've ever seen. Also, the eye of the gal is so touching. soooo... ahh, dont' know how to explain. it is very sexy:drool:

Sean Johnston
02-04-2003, 04:59 AM
Wow, I'm impressed. Not only is it tecnically amazing, but the actual design is top notch. Congrats, you are one of the few people here who can make a hot looking women. No offense guys, but most of the females made here are really unappealing...this one certainly isn't though. A++ work.

Phugative
02-04-2003, 06:09 AM
Fantastic work, beautiful textures! The composition also works nicely, and the muted background pushes forward your subject nicely. Only one real crit: This could be due to that she is a cyborg, but if she was proportioned like a normal human, she could not be sitting in the position that she is in. She is too far back over her heels, she would fall right on her ass. I guess what i am saying is that it looks like she has no weight over her feet, no pressure on her arms to her knees, to the ankles to her toes. Her feet may not sit totally flat. Granted this is a very minor thing in an otherwise flawless piece, but it bothers me. Something to consider. Nice work!

LyonHaert
02-04-2003, 06:42 AM
I showed this to a couple friends, and they noticed a few things to comment on.

Some points raised were that the rust is overdone, and that maybe a shiny underlying metal is unrealistic for armor. Another was that the armor looks un-used, and has been allowed to sit and rust for a long time, never seeing any action, that even with the rust, it looks to be in too good of a condition. No dings or dents or even scratches in the armor. They also commented that the face looks more like from a photograph than painted (which may be right, haven't seen any comment about that yet).

For my own part, I'd like to mostly crit the lighting. The metal has a lot of highlights coming off it. Way too many, actually. The background shows a really simple lighting from above, and the face disagrees with natural-looking lighting from the left. The shadow underneath the side-mask seems much too harsh, also. These differences in lighting are just kinda disconcerting; they break the flow of the piece. Her pose does seem kindof off-balance, like she should be immediately falling backwards. If there were a wall or crate she was leaning up against, it'd be perfect, because that's what it *looks* like she's doing. I figure a wall would be easy to add.

As far as the armor goes, though, I have some disagreements. The armor does seem too thin, like she'd be skinny as a twig inside, mostly in the arms and legs. If the armor were a bit weathered, like it had seen a lot of battle, damage, subsequent repairs, it would look great, but rust just looks wrong for her. I figure if she's a warrior, she'd keep her equipment in proper order; wouldn't allow it to rust, would repair damage, etc. Blood stains would be completely understandable. Then her facial expression would fit quite well, and seem kindof cocky, like she's still feeling a euphoric rush just after a battle. ;)

Edit: Noticed a couple other things, too, and now I think I understand your groundwork for this was an actual picture of a woman (whose face and hair now remains visible), and the armor was painted over her, without thickening the limbs to accomodate for armor thickness. The plate metal on her thigh is curved as one's thigh would be when compressed by one's calf, but plate metal armor wouldn't do that. Also in this reference pic you used, she was probably leaning against a wall or something, hence this character's off-balance pose, since there is no wall. And finally, the feet. Someone said the feet looked a bit small. The sole of her boots are flush against the floor, but the actual woman's feet are not, I bet. I bet her heel is off the floor, with only the ball of her foot and her toes on the ground, like in the following rough outline, or close to it:

http://www.lyonhaert.net/public/battle-angel-crit.jpg

Please correct me if I'm wrong, by the way.

shivacola
02-04-2003, 07:38 AM
so dirty

Berserker
02-04-2003, 07:53 AM
first thing that popped into my head when i saw that was "wow, nice work"

the second thing that popped into my head was "how very Giger's Biomachanics"

looks great, keep it up

Tellerve
02-04-2003, 08:03 AM
Wowsers, really great! I think the whole thing is awesome, especially the face and hair. I personnally like the hair and face showing as opposed to a larger helmet whatever.

As for people mentioning the rest, well, I dunno, doesn't necessarily look like rust to me, could be dried blood. Mhmm battle angel :)

Tellerve

Xysryc
02-04-2003, 08:41 AM
Wohow, totally amazing! I love the contrast between the armor and its dirty, "evil" look and her pure face! :thumbsup:

Good thing that you did not use it for a comic book, because there already is one called "Battle Angel Alita"! :D

wave
02-04-2003, 09:34 AM
cool

placidus
02-04-2003, 09:42 AM
WOW :eek:
she is perfect, I think I love her :love:
:thumbsup:

josip
02-04-2003, 10:12 AM
???????????????????????????????

http://www.severina.com

is it just coincidence....:buttrock: :bounce: :surprised

JohnD
02-04-2003, 02:16 PM
Awesome pic. I love it.

Devilution
02-04-2003, 03:51 PM
I swear I've seen a picture of Shania Twain just like this. What was your source material? How about some concept sketches?

Norante
02-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Yes, I dont want to seem annoying or picking.. and forgive me if Im wrong, I dont mean it as bad, but I have a strong feeling that the face is real, photo?

I just sense dome diference btween the face and the armor's style.

Maybe its just me :(

Larry_g1s
02-04-2003, 05:17 PM
Gorgeous. Nice detail, pose, & expression. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dreamwave
02-04-2003, 06:26 PM
could you post a better quality pic?

matred
02-04-2003, 06:31 PM
just terrific....beautiful work..keep it up man.

4dartist
02-04-2003, 08:38 PM
Wow looks awsome! Nice detail, well im sure there is if you would up the resolution lol. But Looks very nice. Some things bug me like mentioned before, 1. She is off balance a lot and would fall over hehe. 2. Here face does look a little photograph like, but even if it didn't come from a photo im not sure it matchs the style of the rest of the peice. .. but those are the thing i think need improvment. Now about the comments that she was too rusty hehe, i disagree.. Ok ok, maybe a very rich warrior, or one with somebody to help her with her armor, with a lot of time on her hands could get shiny armor .. nice and repaired everyday after battle and she would be gleaming, or rust free well oiled. But i think u could probably open your imagination up a little. Maybe she lives a harder life than that. Maybe it rains a lot there or the condition of her suit rusting signifies her time left in the world as an angel or something, when the suit comes to ruin her time is over.. I dunno thats probably stupid but .. I think some issues with it could be solved with some imagination haha! But anyways, i really like the piece and congradulations on a job well done!

lildragon
02-04-2003, 08:58 PM
I love it, the surreal quality on the girl is unbelievable, even the rust is very unique and really brings this image to that next level. The only thing I don't like too much is the breast, why O why do they always have to be so enormous?!?? :argh: :p Anyhoo, too bad its shot with the compression, but that'll be cured very soon ;) just send me the pic in a nice highres .jpg. cause this is going up on the Hall of Fame gallery, you need to look your best right ;).

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Keep it up great work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_feb03_2.jpg

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

zedsdead
02-04-2003, 10:18 PM
nice work! even a cg talk award too! im not sure why some people nit pick about some minor details, the guy is a wicked painter, and beleive me trying to do mattepaintings and stuff like this is no easy task.tariq, keep up the good work! and keep posting!

if you guys gotta nitpick, pick on people that dont even do their own work and post anyways......

tariqr
02-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Thanks to everyone out there who visited my thread and commented on my piece.Critics and praisers all alike you have contributed to me growing as an artist.
To those looking for a higher resolution pic of this and a bit more of my art work, you can find it here.. http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/list.pl?gallery=4648

I'm still working on my own site so I have to use other kind peoples sites to show my work.

Now for a bit of history on the piece "Battle Angel". This was originally a pastel painting 65'x 50' in size. I started it in 1997. By late 1998 I found the unfinished painting sitting on my shelf and decided to scan it into photoshop. It was way too big so i photographed it in sections and scanned them in instead.

In early 1999 I started working for a games company called Microforte, as their concept illustrator and character designer on a game called "Fallout Tactics". The research I had to do was basically 'Post apocalyptic time '. This was also the first time I got my hands on a Wacom tablet. Needless to say I just couldn't put the Wacom pen down. I fished out the scanned painting and started to work on it during my spare time.75 houres of sparetime later the "Battle Angel" was done.
As far as the rusty textures go, some people like them some people don't. I myself love rust and grit. The fact that I was also working on Fallout Tactics, a world of rust probably unconsciously transposed itself onto my painting.

And by the way "Skullkid" I did the storyboards for the live action "Metroid Prime " ad for Nintendo.

Thanks again guys.
:)

LyonHaert
02-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by zedsdead
nice work! even a cg talk award too! im not sure why some people nit pick about some minor details, the guy is a wicked painter, and beleive me trying to do mattepaintings and stuff like this is no easy task.tariq, keep up the good work! and keep posting!

if you guys gotta nitpick, pick on people that dont even do their own work and post anyways......

Oh, I jump all over those kind of folk if I happen to run across them. A few months ago there was a pic in the XSI monthly galleries of a couple space fighters composited onto a photo background photo. The space fighter models come with LightWave content. The lighting for the composite didn't match. E-mailed the webmaster, never even got a response.

And I'm not disputing that Tariq is skilled. It's a very nice piece, and deserving of the CGTalk award. I was just pointing out aspects I disagreed with.

gmoran
02-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Awsome work!!

Have you come across any tutorials in Photoshop or Painter that helped you?

I just got a copy of Painter and I'm dying to start practicing with it!!

Cheers,

gmoran
02-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Awsome work!!

Have you come across any tutorials in Photoshop or Painter that helped you?

I just got a copy of Painter and I'm dying to start practicing with it!!

Cheers,

pestopedo
02-06-2003, 01:52 AM
Very cool. Its really really good.

ahe
02-06-2003, 02:17 AM
:thumbsup: beautiful.

fayndee
02-06-2003, 03:21 AM
Oh... the texture of that is a well done, i like the feels of your texture. How did you get it???:bounce:

I believe you can do it better!!:thumbsup:

feerik
02-06-2003, 10:42 AM
WOW!:eek:
Beautiful render!!! Great textures and good feeling...
That makes me think of paintings of Sorayama.
Pretty cool stuff.
:thumbsup:

HOmz
03-06-2003, 04:36 AM
That is farking awesome man! very realistic! the rust is awesomely detailed! VERY SWICKED!:bounce:

piajartist
03-06-2003, 07:58 AM
The womans face is very impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sam4grafix
11-25-2004, 02:19 PM
Ohh thats pretty..good work buddy!!!:thumbsup:

DorkmanScott
01-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Battle Angel Alita is Jim Cameron's next project. Here's hoping he spots this and gives you a call. :applause:

M. Scott

TiCool
03-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Very nice piece of work, reminds me some old character in an old film...

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.