PDA

View Full Version : Study: 64% of Online Gamers are Women

RobertoOrtiz
10-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Quote:
"You wouldn't realize it while playing with most of the jerks that play Halo 2 (http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=2005815), but 64% of the nation's 117 million online gamers are actually women, according to Nielsen Entertainment's third annual Active Gamer Benchmark Study, released this morning.

The study's announcement release doesn't break down what games they're playing, though we expect sites like pogo.com, which feature a multitude of Flash-based, more simplistic games, are rather high on the list. Even more surprising is how many older gamers are playing. While the teenage market dominates in numbers, the study says more than 15 million gamers, about 8%, are actually at least 45 years old. Additionally, in the shocker of the century, the study reveals that gaming has become an increasingly social experience (social is apparently defined by playing online, which some might take issue with), with "Active Gamers" typically spending at least five hours playing socially a week, with teenagers garnering a slightly higher time span of seven hours. "

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154239

archerx
10-08-2006, 03:14 PM
I bet 90% of the 64% of those women are just men pretending to be women ;)

thoughtlesswhisper
10-08-2006, 03:16 PM
hmmmm.... BO**OCKS.

RobertoOrtiz
10-08-2006, 03:20 PM
hmmmm.... BO**OCKS.
LOL! No tell me really what you think of the study...

Thanks for the laugh.

-R

havokzprodigy
10-08-2006, 06:06 PM
This is news to me.

I play online all the time and I only came across one person that sounded like a girl but turned out to be a dude with a really strange voice.

PyRoT
10-08-2006, 06:17 PM
What a cheap way to get your research in the headlines. I'd bet a lot of money on this research being severly flawed.

jeremybirn
10-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Wow, assuming this research is totally correct and true and flawless, that's a tragedy that males only make up 36% of gamers. Maybe we should create initatives to encourage more males to become game developers, and research which themes males are interested in to attract more males to the gaming community. :thumbsup:

-jeremy

poly-phobic
10-08-2006, 06:33 PM

this is more likely than what the actual survey found.

no way 64% are female.

id say 10-15% max

mech7
10-08-2006, 07:09 PM
I thought there where some previous researches who claimed this too.. but this goes mostly for the flash games.. so not counterstrike or any other 'real' game :)

P_T
10-08-2006, 07:20 PM
I bet half of those 64% play The Sims 2+expansions.

thoughtlesswhisper
10-08-2006, 08:03 PM
LOL! No tell me really what you think of the study...

Thanks for the laugh.

-R

hehe:D

but cmon, this survey must be seriously flawed somewhere. its blatantly biased. but if their goal is to get girls to feel more ok with playing online games, then im all for it. lie lie away...

heavyness
10-08-2006, 08:10 PM
the numbers sound right. working at the Casual Games Studio in Microsoft, i hear these numbers a lot. just because there isn't any women playing Counter Strike, Battlefield, PGR3, and or whatever other game you are playing, they do make the majority of online gamers. most the time, they probably have their mic muted and use a none gender nickname [so they don't get hit on and or treated like a "girl"]

and yes, a lot of the women who play online play casual games. bejeweled, zuma, hexic, tetris... but casual games are coming back. one reason the DS is doing so well is because the majority of games on it are casual games, not action/adventure games.

and you would be hard pressed to find any men over the age of 70 playing games online. while everyone's grandma plays zuma online for hours. plus, the Asian markets [Korea] sell online game like crazy. GoPets has a huge crowd of people making micro transactions like crazy and a good chunk of their players are girls.

and most MMORPGs have a huge population of women players.

so while most hardcore guy gamers think they rule the online arenas, they are just a smaller piece of the pie when looked at as a whole.

Nintendogs
The Sims
Pokemon
three of the best selling franchises, all not considered "hardcore" and all have a huge base of women gamers.

heavyness
10-08-2006, 08:15 PM
I bet half of those 64% play The Sims 2+expansions.

you mean the best selling franchise The Sims? sure. you guys have to stop looking at what you consider "hardcore games" to see these numbers. because last i checked, Xbox Live Arcade [made up of many casual games] is kicking ass. Uno is slowly taking over Geometry War's seat as best seller.

and the Nintendo Wii is banking on these numbers. Nintendo isn't aiming for the hardcore, they are aiming at your sister, mom, dad, and grandma. and last i checked, they out number the hardcore.

heavyness
10-08-2006, 08:27 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4634519.stm

A study by the UK games trade body, the Entertainment and Leisure Publishers Association (Elspa), found that women gamers in the UK made up a quarter of the gaming population. This compares to 39% in the US and 69% in South Korea.

leigh
10-08-2006, 08:38 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. On the flipside, a lot of women online pretend to be men, to avoid being harrassed by drooling, socially inept nerds who type in leet.

TumikSmacker
10-08-2006, 08:51 PM
I dont believe these results for a second, as others have already said - its probably men pretending to be woman.

MadMax
10-08-2006, 08:57 PM
wow.

Some of these threads are really reaching into the chum bucket..........

danshewan
10-08-2006, 09:03 PM
you mean the best selling franchise The Sims? sure. you guys have to stop looking at what you consider "hardcore games" to see these numbers.

Nintendo isn't aiming for the hardcore, they are aiming at your sister, mom, dad, and grandma. and last i checked, they out number the hardcore.

These numbers don't surprise me at all. Just because something flies in the face of what people expect, doesn't mean it's false. Consumer buying habits, as well as social patterns, inevitably change. So why is this such a hard pill to swallow? Let's get over it guys, and get on with stomping ass in an online deathmatch.

Just because there's more female gamers, doesn't mean we can't whip their asses. ;)

archerx
10-08-2006, 09:13 PM
wow.

Some of these threads are really reaching into the chum bucket..........

You're not really helping.

If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem ;)

MrPositive
10-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Several flaws with this study:

1. I know for a fact alot of guys disguise as girls online.
2. What does Tetris online even look like? Should it even count? As well, are we counting texas holdem online? If so, then it goes back to the males by a landslide.
3. Alot of those women look like men anyways. j/k

hightillidie
10-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Tetris is for sissies.

And how do you play Tetris in multiplayer? Do the blocks like shoot at each other or something?

Any game that doesnt have blood/death isnt really a "game" :D.

Leigh- Chicks can only be jealous of us because we speak l337. And if you've ever read a 7th grade girl's note you would see they have a much harder speek code wich impaires us, males from figuring out their plan to take over the world.

:O *gasp.*

LucentDreams
10-08-2006, 09:35 PM
I think tis the bad terminology, when they say online they dont' mean multiplayer online Halo type games only, they seem to mean any game on the internet. This would include MSN games, Newgrounds, Addictive games, etc there are a lot fo places where we simply dont' bother with, so woudl I believe the stat, you bet, all those lameass myspace rate me on youtube cause I need stangers approval type girls playing lame internet games, who wouldn't believe that. this thread shows that people didn't "A" read the article carefully, and "B" look outside their own little world of xbox live.

I agree its a stupid survey as it covers too broad of a market without just covering everything. I mean to simply exlcude games not ona network is dumb, caus then nintendo tetris doesn't count but some stupid flash tetris game does.

JeroenDStout
10-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. On the flipside, a lot of women online pretend to be men, to avoid being harrassed by drooling, socially inept nerds who type in leet.
Exactly. 40+ year old housewives who loathe their meaningless cleanex-filled life, are fed up with their men but are too faded out to actually change anything ever any more are wise to avoid nerds.

:rolleyes:

CGmonkey
10-08-2006, 09:57 PM

I don't want to stamp your parade but.. Most women I've played with is equally geeky.. if not more because they love the fact that geeks are drawn to them the more geeky they are.

Jhonus
10-08-2006, 09:58 PM
I think the qualifier for the study was that you play online games at least once a week. If thats true the study probably includes playing flash games on the internet for 20minutes on a sunday afternoon. So it wouldnt really surprise me if the numbers are true.

danshewan
10-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Exactly. 40+ year old housewives who loathe their meaningless cleanex-filled life, are fed up with their men but are too faded out to actually change anything ever any more are wise to avoid nerds.

:rolleyes:

Don't you think that's generalizing massively? I mean, c'mon! We'd still frag their asses in a multiplayer deathmatch.....

Men have better spacial awareness. And general gaming ability. Word.

*ducks*

Seriously, though - that is a sweeping generalisation. And the original report did specify 'online' gamers, not console / PC gamers who prefer to play online. This distinction alone should have eliminated half of the posts from offended fanboys who've spent half their time honing their WoW skills in their parents' basement.

If 64% of all gamers were women, so what? It might actually bring another mentality of gameplay to online gaming arenas - and that's bad because.......?

Oh yeah, it isn't. Rock on sisters. :buttrock:

tozz
10-08-2006, 10:57 PM
I don't even know where to begin... this study has to be the worst ever. Why would you even want to do a survey for everything that's online or have an "o" in the name, as this survey obviously did? Comparing the MMORPG market to flash based minigames you play while you're waiting for the mail to download (didn't want to say waiting for the stove to get warm) makes about no sense at all :)
I would love it if 50+% of online gamers were woman, but it's only true for _some_ games, and the other way around where it's 90%+ male (WoW anyone?).

Make the girls play some good games instead of the crap they play now, I want more unisex hardcore gaming! :D

heavyness
10-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Make the girls play some good games instead of the crap they play now, I want more unisex hardcore gaming! :D

that's a good pick up line...

"hey girl, why don't you stop playing that crapping game and come back to my place for some real hardcore gaming!"

better yet, call them a "chick" when you approach them.

JeroenDStout
10-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Don't you think that's generalizing massively? I mean, c'mon! We'd still frag their asses in a multiplayer deathmatch.....
'Tis! But it was irony to counter the generalization that Leigh made.

DoubleSupercool
10-09-2006, 12:54 AM
They extrapolate 2,200 surveys into "117 million online gamers". Last time I checked the USA had around 290 million. So, what, more than 1/3 of the entire population of the USA are "online gamers"?

"Interesting" results indeed.

PhilOsirus
10-09-2006, 01:19 AM
"Online games" as in non-console or MMO or FPS games.

Wanderer
10-09-2006, 02:17 AM
They extrapolate 2,200 surveys into "117 million online gamers". Last time I checked the USA had around 290 million. So, what, more than 1/3 of the entire population of the USA are "online gamers"?

"Interesting" results indeed.

It's basic statistics. You take a sample of the population and you extrapolate. It's not 100% accurate but it's generally good enough for government work. They do the exact same thing for TV ratings, election polls, etc. Anything statistical works just like that. Give or take a odd equations.

EnlightenedPixel
10-09-2006, 02:35 PM

I know a few who do just that. They say its pretty annoying to play a game, especialy an FPS when people realise theyre female. Its like a poorly scribbled digital sign that says " Hit on me,LOL, its the internets!"

EnlightenedPixel
10-09-2006, 02:38 PM
It's basic statistics. You take a sample of the population and you extrapolate. It's not 100% accurate but it's generally good enough for government work. They do the exact same thing for TV ratings, election polls, etc. Anything statistical works just like that. Give or take a odd equations.

Not in the case of digital gaming though.

Unless they have :

1. Actual proof that these are women
2. A wide spectrum of games covered
3. A much LARGER ammount of people surveyed.

then it realy isnt representative of anything.

RuinedMessiah
10-09-2006, 04:27 PM
I once doubted the whole women being hit on while trying to online game thing. My ex would complain about it all the time. So I finally decided to watch her play some UT with voice chat. Sure enough, it was nuts and I was honestly shocked. Of course the fact that she was running around with a "Cyber Devi" mod I created for her mixing Bubblegum Crisis and I Feel Sick might have had something to do with it but still.

So I decided to create a female character on WOW just to find constant harrassment and, believe it or not, plenty of free gold. So I started playing as this character and doing the whole "I'm just a dumb girl" routine anytime I needed money to finance something on my main. Tricking horny WOW'ers however has finally left my repetoire of deplorable online behavior since I no longer WOW but still.

Para
10-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Since no one haven't dropped this joke in to this thread yet (at least I didn't notice it) I'll just throw it in:

Q: What does MMORPG stand for?
A: Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

richcz3
10-09-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm betting 70% or more of the women playing online are playing only because their boyfriend/husband plays.

I personaly have see this time and again in family members and friends. 99% of the time it's the guy urging his girl to play ... "C'mon we need another player." so they play. Given the option to do something else - anything else - they will.

When they (the girls/women) are given the option to play an FPS game or something like the Sims 2. They choose the Sims 2 or even Windows Solitaire

LucentDreams
10-09-2006, 10:49 PM
You guys should watch their sexist mouths, I know plenty of girls who will opt for killing you merciless.

My Fiance may not be big on FPS games but she loves dead rising, FF series, Tekken (god I hate tekken) She'll opt in to any game with mass destruction.

And the stat as said before includes the simple games like haxic anyways so sure lots of women play those but thats why the stat is what it is.

and don't be surprised if that stat keeps going up with more phone games, Nentendo DS and WII focusing on more general interest games, and now that Ipod has games they are sure to counter microsofts new wireless system witha wireless ipod with online hexic etc there too.

joshcxa
10-10-2006, 12:15 AM
I'm tipping it's mainly yahoo games and junk like that.

Because if i did my own personal little survery on games that aren't on yahoo or little flash games you find in stupid FWD's in your email, I'd find that 90+% would be male.

thoughtlesswhisper
10-10-2006, 07:38 AM
statistics are a funny thing. You can basically get them to say anything you want them to if you play with the words enough.

Buexe
10-10-2006, 01:04 PM
My wife and her sister kick my butt in Heroes V on a regular basis.
I think women should not play computer games :cry:

EnlightenedPixel
10-10-2006, 02:06 PM
statistics are a funny thing. You can basically get them to say anything you want them to if you play with the words enough.

Thats how statistics work. I listened over the phone wile a woman surveying me asked me 2 sets of questions. Each one was obviously designed to get a different reaction, and instead of picking one or the other, I would in turn question her about why each question is trying to either alienate a competing company, or downplay the polution issue of adding a large power plant near both a residential area, and a reserve. She hung up, I dont think they like getting smart people on the end of the phone, kinda fudges their statistics.

Zarathustra
10-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Well I'm willing to bet at least 80% of that 64% is women playing something cute like Sudoku on Pogo.com. I've witnessed many doing that and my girlfriend has gotten others to play on Pogo, too. Her and her friends would never pick up a PS controller or want to see let alone control something getting killed on screen but they'll play Poppit for hours. If us guys can get past the fact that "online games" goes beyond FPS and Madden, then it's not to hard to imagine these results.

Oh and the creepiness of most males online is pretty severe and widespread. Case in point - Chess on Pogo.com. I've edited my profile on there to say I was a 15yo girl before. Now most Chess games are timed, so run out of time and you lose. I've won so many games because some horny idiot wasted his time chatting me up. It's hysterical and what's really amazing is EVERY time I've done this little experiment for people (ie - logged on and started playing with at least one person looking over my shoulder), it's happened. Hell, just sit and watch the chat window if there's a user with a feminine username.

moujot
10-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Well, being myself a gamer probably since i was born (can't recall any further), and a hard-core, slashing and killing, and time-consuming strategy games addict, i actually also find myself pretty amused by all these flash or whatnot online casual games (wish i had more time) that you guys seem to consider almost "not games".
I'd be quite curious to know the percentage of males playing those games that most of you seem to think were made for women.

I must add that it did not start with internet and all those casual games portals popping around.. i've been playing casual games all along, really, be it on my old Atari (Klax, PipeDream anyone ?), Ps1 or the web.. lately i had the most fun playing Mario Party with friends on the GameCube, and it seems also that this casual gaming frenzy is being picked up by major studios in their recent titles (think of all the recent adventure games that feature some many "mini-games" nowadays).

I'm not that surprised by the survey's results, i would not be surprised to ear that 50% of the overall gaming community are women.

*edit : sadly, i'm not surprised either by the whole "don't show you're a woman online" thing..

mouj

EnlightenedPixel
10-10-2006, 04:01 PM
AHA! here it is!

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/09/30

mercy, severity
10-10-2006, 05:57 PM
You poor men, Your so offended that its now proven that the opposite sex have taken over your most beloved past time. So now you have to justify it by saying all they play is online tetris and barbies world. Relax its only 64%

Im joking, but serious. Im not sure which all game genres this statistic encompasses but look at how many people play MMPRPG's, online games, xbox live, and the like. Everyone has estimated probably 90% male make up the players. So dont you think that percentage alone would be enough to push over the number of females playing cell phone games and online flash games??

Well I still think maybe the stat is a bit embellished, men love their games but to say all chicks play stuff like the sims is annoying. All the girls I know play anything but, and they dont look like men.

Also, what age range was the survey for? I see alot of young toddlers playing games now and boys favs are probaby games like "fruity garden" and "proffesser fizzwizzle"

GingerDave
10-10-2006, 06:58 PM
If the numbers of this survey are true couldnt it be a good thing? for a long time people have wanted gaming to be taken seriously by the masses. now that its happening whats with the friction?

could it be like when you have a new favourite band who are slightly underground. And then on the second album it goes all commercial and the "hardcore fans" feel like thayve lost their turf to the trendy incrowd types.

Im just glad you cant be "emo" whilst shooting the axis. so long as there are still server spaces for day of defeat im happy.

RuinedMessiah
10-10-2006, 07:17 PM
You can be worse than Emo while shooting the nazis. You can be a dick who screams a string of naughty words so long and disturbing that it makes even the hardest of the hardcore gangsta rappers ask, "Now was that mutha ****** **** really all that ****** necessary, mutha *****?"

Qslugs
10-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Yeah but casual games are having a huge surge. Not everyone has the interest or time to sit down for 100 hours of Gta or 30 hours of Halo. It's funny how so many people here are dissing the casual games. I work in games, and I think modern console gaming has almost reached the point of playing an interactive movie. I'd much rather sit down for 15 min of tetris or bust a move, than get sucked in for weeks at a time playing whatever.

Guess thats just me though.

I'm tipping it's mainly yahoo games and junk like that.

Because if i did my own personal little survery on games that aren't on yahoo or little flash games you find in stupid FWD's in your email, I'd find that 90+% would be male.

P_T
10-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Well I still think maybe the stat is a bit embellished, men love their games but to say all chicks play stuff like the sims is annoying. All the girls I know play anything but, and they dont look like men.Well, all the girls I know who play more "boy oriented" games like RTS and FPS are decidedly tomboy-ish. Conversely, the girls I know who aren't a tomboy usually play Sims and other casual games.

I'd also like to note that I'm pretty good at MSN Solitaire, Minesweeper and Puzzle Bobble. :D

SLarrimer
10-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Wow, there're a lot of defensive males on here... Does it really matter is there's a close to equal number of males and females playing online games? Does it matter if those online games aren't halo? Do you think Microsoft and Bungie are going to look at this study and think, "gosh, we have to stop Halo 3 production! From now on we're devoting all our resources to flash games!"? It's ridiculous.

Anyone who thinks casual games aren't really worthy of being concidered a game have forgotten that gaming is supposed to be a leisure activity. Not everyone is willing or able to spend 30+ hours a week engaging in a hobby. For those of us who only have the occasional saturday or sunday afternoon, casual games are wonderful.

The way many guys treat female characters in online games isn't flattering, it isn't funny, and it isn't cool. It's insulting and annoying. It's also part of the reason I havn't been able to get into any mmorpgs. Guys don't generally treat women like that in real life, why is it concidered "ok" in a game?

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2006, 09:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.