PDA

View Full Version : simple question, "extrude" edge?

gl0gg
10-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Hey guys, here's a pretty basic 3dsmax question:

I want to go from picture 1 to picture 2 as easily as possible. I did it here by selecting two edges and clicking "connect". What I want is to be able to shift-drag the edge in the middle and pulling it out to picture 2 instead, but max won't let me do it, instead it deselects the edge when I shift-click it. Is the connect operation the only way to go? I have meshtools and polytools installed.

Thanks for your time!

/Joel

Vilku
10-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Connect is the proper thing to do there i think. You could also do Cut.

But edge extrude is another thing. You can only extrude an 'open' edge, an edge which is a part of a Border. Like in first pic. And even if you would delete that top poly, and extrude the middle edge, its new vertexes won't be a part of side polys (like when you connected).

gl0gg
10-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks for your answer, and yes I know it is not the same thing, which is why I put the "extrude" in those marks whatever you call them, I am verry sorry if I was unclear :)

I don't know what to call the operation otherwise, I suppose it is a refinement of sorts.

I don't like cut when doing stuff like this since I can't seem to get it exactly where and in the angle I want it. Connect is great, but I think it would help my workflow if I just could shift-drag an edge into the mesh...

Thanks again though!

Vilku
10-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Oh, and there is another thing

Select the poly(ies) you wanna cut, click Slice plane, set up the plane exacly where you want it (you can use angle snap when you rotate it). This is great when you want horizontal/vertical cuts or defined by some angle :)

newellteapot
10-09-2006, 12:17 PM
You can also slect the edge and chamfer it :)

gl0gg
10-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks, I thought of the chamfer, but then I get a V shape at the end of the edges. The thing is I'm trying to model a house front, and from the building meshes I've seen it doesn't matter too much if it's only quads and stuff, which is why I just want to copy and pull edges around real quick. I hope I make sense, it feels like I am not :|

If anyone has tips on environment/house building tutorials, that would be appreciated too. It seems most tutorials are about other stuff :(

newellteapot
10-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks, I thought of the chamfer, but then I get a V shape at the end of the edges. The thing is I'm trying to model a house front, and from the building meshes I've seen it doesn't matter too much if it's only quads and stuff, which is why I just want to copy and pull edges around real quick. I hope I make sense, it feels like I am not :|

If anyone has tips on environment/house building tutorials, that would be appreciated too. It seems most tutorials are about other stuff :(

Hi!
don't know any tutorials, I'm afraid, but have modeled buildings. What about slicing and then chamfering? You get more subs, but maybe if the poly count goes up too much you can remove unwanted edges.
Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2006, 01:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.