PDA

View Full Version : Disney teaming with Weta for animated features

RobertoOrtiz
10-08-2006, 03:31 AM
QUOTE:
"Animated films look likely to be on the horizon for Peter Jackson and Weta Workshop.

Weta has been in discussions with Walt Disney Studios over the options open to the Wellington-based workshop, which was responsible for The Lord of the Rings and King Kong.

Disney's Animation Creative Director Dave Bossart rates Weta Workshop highly for the special effects they have already produced in Peter Jackson's films.

He now expects them to take it further and move into making films based on digital characters."

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411319/844668

-R

Matt Leishman
10-08-2006, 06:37 AM
interesting article (although quite short) ... but ...

I didn't read ANYWHERE in that article where it acutally says that disney is "teaming up with Weta Workshop" ... besides, weta workshop doesn't do animation and visual fx .. they do all the practical work for films - armor, sets, weapons etc etc. Its "Weta Digital" that does the animation and visual fx.

I'm just sayin.

pogonip
10-08-2006, 06:46 AM
ehh well consider that it is main stream news reporting and as far as they are concerned weta digital and weta workshop are the same thing . Also i think if they are in " discusions over options " that is a pretty clear sign they want to " team up " don't yah think ?

ManuelM
10-09-2006, 02:35 AM
didnt weta workshop create that animated tv series called "jane and the dragon"?

paul.yan
10-09-2006, 06:34 AM
smells like a possible break in the fuzzy cg critter film streak! (crossing my fingers!)

ParamountCell
10-09-2006, 09:40 AM
smells like a possible break in the fuzzy cg critter film streak! (crossing my fingers!)

im hoping so to

Rod Seffen
10-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Well one thing's for sure, they won't be making the Hobbit together, Tolkein despised Disney, and stipulated that Disney should never have anything to do with any of his works.

animalunae
10-09-2006, 11:05 AM
besides, weta workshop doesn't do animation and visual fx ..

Hah, good point, I read over it, but an article with errors in this vital info loses indeed a lot of credibility.

Nevertheless... in about 5 years, I bet there'll be more cg production houses then McDonalds... behold the competition :S

BillB
10-10-2006, 12:57 AM
didnt weta workshop create that animated tv series called "jane and the dragon"?
Correct, so don't put it past Weta Workshop to want to do this. Sounds right up Richard Taylor's alley. Pretty vague article though - "are in talks" is fairly meaningless.

Matt Leishman
10-12-2006, 03:47 AM
Pretty vague article though - "are in talks" is fairly meaningless.

Thank you ... my point exactly. :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-12-2006, 03:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.