PDA

View Full Version : Trees in max 8?

kriscabrera
10-08-2006, 01:26 AM
Hey guys i was wondering if there was and precudural trees in max8? i heard from somewere that max has some trees but i cant remember who told me

gringer
10-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Create panel ==> Geometry ==> Drop down box ==> AEC extended ==> Foliage. Enjoy.

Cheers :D

kriscabrera
10-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks! :)

newellteapot
10-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Hi kris!

How are you?
If you're not happy with their look, you could also model one and put some planes with alpha with small branches and leaves on it with a scatter compound. for variation, you can modify the branches but the scatter would follow the trees surface.
:)

kriscabrera
10-09-2006, 09:01 PM
ok sounds good i get the alpha plane part for the tree branches and leaves, now correct me if i am wrong you said add a scatter modifier to the alpha plane to get a variation of leaves and branches??

newellteapot
10-10-2006, 02:58 PM
ok sounds good i get the alpha plane part for the tree branches and leaves, now correct me if i am wrong you said add a scatter modifier to the alpha plane to get a variation of leaves and branches??

Hi kris!
Sorry no, it's my rubbish English ;)

What I meant was:
you apply a to the leaf plane (geometry button>compound objects>compound) and in the scatter menu choose the trunk model as your distribution object.
Put a high number of duplicates and there you go you have the leaves.
To obtain variation, you can create let's say 2 different textures of the leaves to apply to 3 different planes and to be put on the tree with 2 different scatter compounds (just repeat the procedure).
One interesting thing is that if you move around the vertices of the tree trunks, you will notice that the leaves are following.
Also, in the scatter menu there is many useful options.
For example, you can choose to see the result of the scatter or the components (leaf and distribution object).
For a tree, you will have to select the faces on the top part so that the leaves won't be scattered on the trunk (unless you want that).
I know that the scatter compound can be confusing, so don't hesitate to ask for more info :)
Hope this helps! :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2006, 02:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.